Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 31-01-2020, 11:14 PM
Mature Bream

OK Ideas needed

Our town has just been ramped up to level 4 water restrictions. 3 minutes to flush the outboard on the grass NO boat washing after a day in the salt is a bit drastic. Best idea i have come up with to clean the boat is to capture the water after about 20 seconds of flushing the motor and decant this to a garden sprayer to give the brakes and springs a bit of a flushing. I have used the remainder with an old soft broom to give the sides a bit of a clean but over all it is a bit of a sad wash as far as the boat is concerned. It did surprise me how much water i was using to clean the boat, simply flushing took a solid 20 litres. Might have to start taking a bucket into the shower and save the water for fishing days but even then it is hard not being able to use the pressure a garden hose provides to get right under the boat to do the rollers etc. Open to any ideas!!
Old 31-01-2020, 11:47 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevric View Post
Our town has just been ramped up to level 4 water restrictions. 3 minutes to flush the outboard on the grass NO boat washing after a day in the salt is a bit drastic. Best idea i have come up with to clean the boat is to capture the water after about 20 seconds of flushing the motor and decant this to a garden sprayer to give the brakes and springs a bit of a flushing. I have used the remainder with an old soft broom to give the sides a bit of a clean but over all it is a bit of a sad wash as far as the boat is concerned. It did surprise me how much water i was using to clean the boat, simply flushing took a solid 20 litres. Might have to start taking a bucket into the shower and save the water for fishing days but even then it is hard not being able to use the pressure a garden hose provides to get right under the boat to do the rollers etc. Open to any ideas!!
How far is it to the nearest fresh water boat ramp?
Old 01-02-2020, 12:48 AM
Mature Bream

About 100k i would think. I have thought of getting my old loading ramps from the garage and placing them accurately into the shallow end of my neighbours pool.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:10 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
About 100k i would think. I have thought of getting my old loading ramps from the garage and placing them accurately into the shallow end of my neighbours pool.
Haha

If you were able to collect the water from your engine flushing. Those electric high pressure hoses like "karcher" use much less water than leaving the hose running.

Bit of a pain getting the extension cord out each time - but it would use less water (I just watched the vid - Its 80% less water) when spraying down the boat and trailer. And they can suck water out of a bucket

Last edited by yellow door 1; 01-02-2020 at 03:22 AM.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:37 AM
Mature Bream

Isn't Telegraph Point , Wilson river Fresh Water ?? Or get a water tank. Pressure sprays are an option some have used in the past !
Old 01-02-2020, 05:39 AM
Mature Bream

Not as far as i am aware Howard. Perhaps a bit of rain may turn it fresh up there but at the moment brackish would be as far as it goes i think. Guess we all need rain. We still feel a bit privileged we can turn on a tap and have a shower, some aren't so lucky.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:42 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Haha

If you were able to collect the water from your engine flushing. Those electric high pressure hoses like "karcher" use much less water than leaving the hose running.

Bit of a pain getting the extension cord out each time - but it would use less water (I just watched the vid - Its 80% less water) when spraying down the boat and trailer. And they can suck water out of a bucket

Good idea Larry. I do have a pressure washer but it does not have a bucket pickup. Bloody huge petrol powereds thing but yes they do use a lot less water. I will look to see if i can find a cheap one / second hand one somewhere with a pick up. Thanks for the idea, we pick up a new boat shortly and would dearly love to be able to clean it properly.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:01 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Yeah I've got a little $99 unit - I reckon it would shift more salt than the hose and the trigger means instantly stopping the flow of water when its not required

Last edited by yellow door 1; 01-02-2020 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:21 AM
Fingerling

Bore Water

Would bore water be able to be used to clean the boat down? I probably wouldn't use it to flush engine.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:57 PM
Mature Bream

unfortunately no bore water available. To do the job i think it will have to be a rain water tank or one of Yellow doors sprayers. Thanks for the idea anyway.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:32 PM
Mature Bream

Problem solved. At last we have had loads of rain overnight we will hook the boat up and drive it at speed through as many puddles as we find. Water restrictions have not been lifted but i am sure there will be an easing of them next week. Had 1/4 of the rain we had all of last year last night!!!!
Old 09-02-2020, 12:14 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Problem solved. At last we have had loads of rain overnight we will hook the boat up and drive it at speed through as many puddles as we find. Water restrictions have not been lifted but i am sure there will be an easing of them next week. Had 1/4 of the rain we had all of last year last night!!!!
Haha - get amoungst it
Old 09-02-2020, 11:55 PM
Big Bream

why dont you take it to a carwash that has an outboard flush option?
Thats what i do. 10 min flush plush a wash after that and drive home, boat is almost dry by the time im home 20 mins drive later.
Old 10-02-2020, 04:06 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple5ive View Post
why dont you take it to a carwash that has an outboard flush option?
That's what i do. 10 min flush plush a wash after that and drive home, boat is almost dry by the time im home 20 mins drive later.
Great idea for living in one of the capital cities. To the best of my knowledge we have just one car wash which generally has a que 10 cars long. I am unsure that it is still able to operate on level 4 restrictions. Our restrictions are still in place despite the Hastings river being given minor flood warnings. I will check this out though as your idea is a great one, thanks heaps.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: