Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 25-01-2018, 12:28 AM
Fingerling

thoughts on the bfs range

Hey guys just wondering on what your thoughts are on the bfs line-ups? Also is there any need to upgrade the bearings to throw 1/12 (2.5g) lures?
2017 Shimano Scorpion bfs
2017 Shimano Aldebaran bfs
2016 Shimano Calcutta Conquest bfs hg
2016 Daiwa Alpha air

Thanks
Old 25-01-2018, 02:36 AM
Mature Bream

I've only had experience with the Aldebaran and it definitely needs no upgrade to throw light lures (1/16ths and cranks). Once i educated my thumb the ease with which it throws was ridiculous. Comparing it to my alphas SV makes the alphas feel choked.
Old 25-01-2018, 09:04 AM
Blue Lip

I also have an older Aldebaran MG, same design as the Curado 50e and Scorpion et al - only big change is brass vs aluminium main gears - which can be swapped over easily. Lovely bit of kit and widely available online, internal parts available somewhat through the Australian Shimano arm.

20150508_103752.jpg
20150508_103803.jpg

Very easily tuned and built for BFS work. Magnesium frame so bit of care with saltwater casting as per normal.

Newer BFS reels beautifully made undoubtedly but hyper expensive, the new Calcutta Conquest 50 BFS "oh god" yes but my bank account says no.

Last edited by Slazmo; 25-01-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 26-01-2018, 10:09 PM
Poddy Bream

I have a Abu Garcia Revo ALC-BF7. Got it from Digitaka.
No need to replace bearings. Can cast 1/16th with ease and just as far as a spinning setup. Look it up on Abu Garcia Japan.
Old 27-01-2018, 03:41 AM
Fingerling

Thanks for the reply DavidMc, Slazmo and Witha whats your guys opinion on braid/fluro if i was to run the Shimano Aldebaran? I was thinking maby 6Lb sunline super fc sniper (fluro), 8Lb sunline super pe (4 strand) or the 8Lb sunline super pe (8 strand) as the 8 strand may be less prone to wind knots. Whats your take on this?
Old 27-01-2018, 04:07 AM
Blue Lip

PE works well and FC works as well. I run Platypus mono on my Calcutta 50XT and 6lb FC on the B and that casts equally well - also that Aldarbaren casts very well with FC - has a choking line guide though which is a 'real' advantage.

Come to think the Aldarbaren has standard bearings except for being washed and run on the Dremel. Casts well small cicada lures and the like when i used it - sparingly though.

The 50XT and 50B have HH BFS and the B has the HH hybrid bearings - they funnily enough cast the same even when the B has a deeper spool with more line. However i do love to use the XT due to it being quiet a lot lighter (40 odd grams).

I was running the Tatula CT as a BF, with a specific shallow spool and on the Benkei BF - did extremely well on hybrids. For its price point and setup I think thats a system thats undoubtedly matched closely by anything dollar wise (as in new in box).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170315_171532-1.jpg (578.5 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Slazmo; 27-01-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 27-01-2018, 07:43 AM
Blue Lip

I used to run an alphas finesse custom on a majorcraft rod that could cast 1/12oz quite well on 6lb fluro.
Old 27-01-2018, 07:51 AM
Poddy Bream

Found it much easier to cast with braid than FC. Tried 6lb Sunline FC and my casting distance was significantly shorter than using braid. I run 6lb Daiwa TD senser. Found that a more soft supple line will get less birdnests and if you do get one it's pretty easy to get untangled.

Hope that helps. What rod are you going to use?
Old 28-01-2018, 02:32 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
PE works well and FC works as well. I run Platypus mono on my Calcutta 50XT and 6lb FC on the B and that casts equally well - also that Aldarbaren casts very well with FC - has a choking line guide though which is a 'real' advantage.
Thanks for that Slazmo, Stella fella and DavidMc great to know that there is so many of you guys out there that try all these reels and let the fishing community know real pros and cons. saves my wallet
Old 28-01-2018, 02:53 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMc View Post
What rod are you going to use?
As for a rod, well my wallet is a bit low right now after just finishing my new ultra light spin setup (luvias/megabass rod) but with that said it will definitely be a Major craft rod (N-one,corzza,speedstyle,ms-x,benkei or volkey). I dont know if you guys are familiar with the Kuying Teton TTC 662L Baitcasting rod? its a rod made in china but has fuji guides and reel seat for only $77aud. So i thought maby id try it out and compare it to a Major Craft rod worth twice the price.
Old 28-01-2018, 03:01 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakfishing View Post
I dont know if you guys are familiar with the Kuying Teton TTC 662L Baitcasting rod? its a rod made in china but has fuji guides and reel seat for only $77aud. So i thought maby id try it out and compare it to a Major Craft rod worth twice the price
Ive got the Volkey BFS and Benkei BF myself - good luck finding a Volkey BFS these days though.

Ive researched the Kuying Teton rods and yeh I'd be onto one for that price - hard to say if the Fuji gear on them is legit though as the Chinese are renowned to rip off quality brands - and these days their manufacturing is near top notch - hard to tell the difference!!!

EDIT: If you do get one of thoseTeton rods please put up a report and plenty of pics ��

Last edited by Slazmo; 28-01-2018 at 06:22 AM.
Old 28-01-2018, 03:13 AM
Blue Lip

I've got a Revo LT, which comes with a shallow spool but I also replaced the standard bearings with Office ZPI finesse bearings. I've got it matched to a Volkey BFS and it casts really well. They still make the LT but there's also LT6 and LT7 now, which i think relates to the gear ratios.

The second reel I've got is the Megabass Zonda Hedgehog Custom. These come with a deep and shallow spool, and I upgraded the bearings to Hedgehog Studio Air BFS. The Revo is really good at casting the light stuff, but this is next level. I'm not sure what your budget is or if they even make these reels anymore, but I'd definitely recommend this reel

For a lot of BFS reels, you don't have to replace the bearings to cast light stuff but it'll certainly help you cast even lighter and further. You can also cast straight ahead instead of up and out to reach the same distance.

Old 28-01-2018, 07:11 AM
Poddy Bream

Haven't tried Major Craft but have heard good things.
I use a JDM Sliver Wolf. It's 7ft 2 and nice and light in the tip. I like the extra length to control the fish from going back into structure. Have never heard of Kuying Teton
But will look them up.
Old 28-01-2018, 07:36 AM
Mature Bream

Look at MC N-ONE bfs series-fine tip and plenty of power to pull em out of snags

small.jpg

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: