Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Leader

Leader What type, what weight, what length, etc.

Old 20-09-2018, 10:19 PM
Big Bream

Mono for surface lures

Lately I've been playing around with using mono as a leader on some of the smaller lures I've been throwing. Found that it really helped lures start walking straight away after a long pause. Haven't been able to test out its abrasion resistance yet but I might start using it regularly on my surface rod.

Has anyone else played around with this? And did you find an impact on bigger lures as well?

Cheers Alex

Last edited by mazman; 21-09-2018 at 12:17 AM.
Old 20-09-2018, 11:14 PM
Blue Lip

I have been using Unitika Silver Thread Trout Clear Mono for a while in 4lb and 6lb for my bream surface fishing. Like you I find it great for the action of the lure. I have found it to be less abrasion resistant than the equivalent in fluro.
Old 21-09-2018, 12:51 AM
Big Bream

[QUOTE=BloodWorm;692704]I have been using Unitika Silver Thread Trout Clear Mono for a while in 4lb and 6lb for my bream surface fishing.

I've been using the same stuff but in 12 lb for surface lures targeting flathead and whiting and 8lb for bream.
Old 21-09-2018, 09:15 PM
Blue Lip

My experience with leader material is this: There is no such thing as a "more abrasion resistant" leader/line. Oysters and points rocks will bust you off indiscriminately. The advantages fluro has over nylon being thinner, clearer, less stretchy and more dense are pretty negligible when you're just using a short amount as a leader, but it's a different story running straight through.
Old 22-09-2018, 04:31 AM
Blue Lip

Mono's far superior to fluro when using surface lures because it floats .. no brainer really
Old 22-09-2018, 05:46 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
My experience with leader material is this: There is no such thing as a "more abrasion resistant" leader/line. Oysters and points rocks will bust you off indiscriminately. The advantages fluro has over nylon being thinner, clearer, less stretchy and more dense are pretty negligible when you're just using a short amount as a leader, but it's a different story running straight through.
(I dont fish surface, so feel free to ignore - my answer is about abrasion resistance)

Yeah I'd agree - there are certain scenarios where abrasion resistant line wont save you - especially with light line and bream - and even in those where it might help - its only going to save 1 or 2 fish a year.

How many times in a year do you remember pulling in a bream with heavily frayed leader. It happens very rarely where I fish with 6lb leaders

"Now, while our fluorocarbon lines were relatively unaffected by being wet, we did note an over 50% drop in abrasion resistance of our 12lb Trilene XL monofilament after being soaked in water for more than 10 minutes. This test seems to validate another claim by the industry: In real world conditions, fluorocarbon lines, are more abrasion resistant."

But when you start getting into the heavier lines - an extra 50% can really help. And I need every little bit of help I can get so I use flouro for all my leaders - light and heavy - but as I mentioned - I dont fish surface

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: