Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Soft Plastics

Soft Plastics Nothing but jubes in here…
Ecogear, Sliders, Atomic, Gene Larew, Bream Master...

Old 28-05-2019, 08:25 AM
Fingerling

Lure always foul hooks trout

Hi everybody,

I am very new to lure fishing and I have been trying for ages to get my first catch with some SPs.

I finally caught a few brown trout a few days ago, but all of them were foul hooked!

This was with a sink, hop, hop retrieve,
and 2.5 inch zman grubs and 3 inch minnows.

Any help is greatly appreciated as it would be awesome to catch some fish legit.

Cheers,

Tom
Old 28-05-2019, 08:51 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exciteabletom View Post
Hi everybody,

I am very new to lure fishing and I have been trying for ages to get my first catch with some SPs.

I finally caught a few brown trout a few days ago, but all of them were foul hooked!

This was with a sink, hop, hop retrieve,
and 2.5 inch zman grubs and 3 inch minnows.

Any help is greatly appreciated as it would be awesome to catch some fish legit.

Cheers,

Tom
If the trout are small - a smaller lure might help them swallow it in one gulp.

I usually use 2 inch paddletails on small stocked trout. This way they can easily grab it and get the hook caught in their mouth, without too many swipes and missed hits

I tend to do a constant jittery retrieve and alot of sight casting to rising trout. One negative of small lures is they can be inhaled too deep - the constant retrieve helps stop that.

Also making your jigheads barbless is a good idea if you plan to release them. Having a set of thin, needle nose pliers or forceps is also handy for hook removal.
Old 28-05-2019, 09:25 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
If the trout are small - a smaller lure might help them swallow it in one gulp.

I usually use 2 inch paddletails on small stocked trout. This way they can easily grab it and get the hook caught in their mouth, without too many swipes and missed hits

I tend to do a constant jittery retrieve and alot of sight casting to rising trout. One negative of small lures is they can be inhaled too deep - the constant retrieve helps stop that.

Also making your jigheads barbless is a good idea if you plan to release them. Having a set of thin, needle nose pliers or forceps is also handy for hook removal.
Thank you for the reply. I never thought about flattening the barbs but that does make a lot of sense.

Cheers,

Tommy
Old 28-05-2019, 09:39 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

No worries - in my experience - something like this, is more likely to be inhaled first attempt than a 3 inch. But I will shorten it up if I miss too many hits
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 872.jpg (144.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 28-05-2019, 07:15 PM
Big Bream

Thanks yd. in a shallow (1-2m) weedy lake, would you run that lure almost at surface (1m above weeds) or try to skim along top of weed beds?
Old 28-05-2019, 07:41 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Yeah when I chase trout its usually at dusk so they are milling around the surface waiting for insect hatches. When the Swallows swoop in and start skimming the surface is prime time

The little bait fish must head up to snack on those bugs aswell. So the trout I target are usually up top.

I have noticed, once the bug hatch gets into full swing and it gets darker - the trout get a bit harder to catch. I assume, from the rings they leave, that they have started to switch their attention from bait fish to bugs.

The lower light levels cant be ignored as a factor in them not finding the lures as easy - but the lazier, more gentle rings they leave, (as opposed to slashes and boils) also suggest they switch their attention to bugs.
Old 28-05-2019, 08:58 PM
Blue Lip

Check out Robbie Alexander's YouTube channel, he does a lot of fishing for trout using Soft Plastics.
Old 30-05-2019, 11:00 PM
Fingerling

Cheers for the info Yellow Door
Old 31-05-2019, 02:45 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exciteabletom View Post
Cheers for the info Yellow Door
No worries mate - As always - my way is just one way to go about it - keep trying stuff till you find what works for you.

My way works for me in the lakes I fish - at the times I fish - on the small trout I target.
Old 31-05-2019, 03:03 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

I tend to use shorter lures than most - It stems from livie fishing with mullet.

Using 2 hooks can put fish off so I'm stuck with one - and I miss a lot of hook ups due to fish biting the mullet where the hook isnt

So I downsized the size of my plastics, on alot of species, in the hope of them swallowing the lure first go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 853.jpg (57.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 852.jpg (54.8 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 31-05-2019 at 03:08 AM.
Old 31-05-2019, 03:07 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

I only tend to upsize my lures when I'm trying to weed out smaller fish or I'm matching large prey items - But 90% of the time, I stick with smaller than average lures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 936.jpg (132.6 KB, 46 views)
Old 31-05-2019, 03:45 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

I remember watching a guy tying flies, who trimmed the feathers all the way back to the edge of his hook.

This wasnt the standard way to tie that fly and the presenter asked him why he cut the feathers so short.

The fly tier answered - "I only get a couple of hours in the morning to fish and I dont have time to muck around with short takes"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: