Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 30-11-2018, 04:42 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Peninsula boating just got a bit easier

Rye ramp - Super fast access to some pretty good squid grounds for the boaters.

No doubt it will get clogged with Jetskis in summer - but its nice to see
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 985.jpg (95.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 984.jpg (86.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 30-11-2018, 04:47 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Looks like they straightened out that dog leg while backing down the ramp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 983.jpg (87.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 982.jpg (122.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 30-11-2018, 05:04 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Down in Melbourne, we pay to launch and some of our ramps could kindly be described as a disgrace.

Some ramps are too short - so your trailer wheels slip off the back of the ramp and slam the chassis of the trailer into the ramp while launching.

Others are near creek mouths where they dont dredge often enough - so if the wind gets up in the arvo - you either get stranded - smash your motor leg into the sand or do a bushing ploughing through to the main channel.

Others are periodically smothered in weed or completely covered in soft sand.

Alot of the ramps I'm describing are in Port Phillip Bay where 1000's of boats a day launch in snapper season.

Launching a boat can cost around $20 if you can find a park in the ramp area - or you will get fined 5 times that for parking on the street.

So when you finally see a local council making efforts to improve a boat ramp - its worth celebrating
Old 30-11-2018, 06:31 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post

Launching a boat can cost around $20 if you can find a park in the ramp area - or you will get fined 5 times that for parking on the street.

So when you finally see a local council making efforts to improve a boat ramp - its worth celebrating
Yes, despite many here in SA howling the virtues of the VIC model, this is one aspect they conveniently leave out. We are certainly lucky this side of the line with a lot of our ramps having sufficient parking & for less than the described $20!

Its a work in progress
Old 30-11-2018, 07:01 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK View Post
Yes, despite many here in SA howling the virtues of the VIC model, this is one aspect they conveniently leave out. We are certainly lucky this side of the line with a lot of our ramps having sufficient parking & for less than the described $20!
Yeah launching is technically free here on most ramps - if you drove your car back home and walked back to the ramp - you wouldnt have to pay.

But if you havent seen Melbourne in the middle of snapper season - there is no way you'd believe the amount of boats in the water at 4am on a weekday.

Its like a floating city out there.

Heres what it looks like when most of the crew has gone home

https://www.facebook.com/ReelTimeFis...8539367328879/
Old 30-11-2018, 04:42 PM
Blue Lip

[QUOTE=yellow door 1;693365]

It still bewilders why councils believe they have the right to fine trailers, with boats on not, parked in places where its legal to park a car. You pay your registration, you have the right to park it on the street.
Old 30-11-2018, 04:43 PM
Blue Lip

[QUOTE=yellow door 1;693365]

It still bewilders why councils believe they have the right to fine trailers, with boats on not, parked in places where its legal to park a car. You pay your registration, you have the right to park it on the street.
Old 30-11-2018, 07:24 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

[QUOTE=Green Hornet;693374]
Quote:

Yeah I've only read second hand theories I cant verify -but from what I've heard - it a manipulation of a Local council rule about long commercial vehicles parking in side streets. Not originally worded to catch boaters but they technically fall under that length of vehicle rule if the trailer is attached.

Some suggest if you unhitch the trailer so it is in no way connected to your car - then you are legally parked because you have to separately registered vehicles occupying 2 different spots.

But as I said - this is all just stuff I heard on the internet.

If you were to play devils advocate - and look at it from the perspective of the vast majority of local residents who dont own a boat - you probably dont want your quiet street, jam packed with boat trailers, so you cant even get a park out the front of your own house - so with out new car-parks - its going to be a tough one to fix

Last edited by yellow door 1; 30-11-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 30-11-2018, 09:38 PM
Blue Lip

My local council imposed a law/rule last year that if a boat or caravan was left parked on a roadside for a certain period (can't remember how long) it would have a "please remove" sticker placed on it. If not moved in 2 weeks it would be impounded. Same rule applied to dingys left on public reserves.

It moved a lot of boats off the streets and nature strips, but I haven't heard of any being towed.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:30 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
But if you havent seen Melbourne in the middle of snapper season - there is no way you'd believe the amount of boats in the water at 4am on a weekday.

Its like a floating city out there.
A question without notice n little to do with the original post, but one playing on my mind in light of our current crisis with snapper stocks.
I realise that PPB is now without commercial fishing and that scallop dredging ceased many years ago and is touted as being the saviour of the snapper fishery there, but was there ever a commercial longline operation in any of your bays?
We once had a world class fishery here that saw many cross the line to fish in our Gulfs, particularly Spencer Gulf, but the Victorian fishery has boomed in the last few years whilst ours has declined dramatically.
Of course there is usual heated banter as to who is to blame, n I tend to believe each sector should take some blame, but the recs here are adamant that longlining is the sole cause of the decline & as a result, I wonder what forms of operation are used by the commercial sector there to target the fish.

Its a work in progress
Old 02-12-2018, 09:14 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK View Post
A question without notice n little to do with the original post, but one playing on my mind in light of our current crisis with snapper stocks.
I realise that PPB is now without commercial fishing and that scallop dredging ceased many years ago and is touted as being the saviour of the snapper fishery there, but was there ever a commercial longline operation in any of your bays?
We once had a world class fishery here that saw many cross the line to fish in our Gulfs, particularly Spencer Gulf, but the Victorian fishery has boomed in the last few years whilst ours has declined dramatically.
Of course there is usual heated banter as to who is to blame, n I tend to believe each sector should take some blame, but the recs here are adamant that longlining is the sole cause of the decline & as a result, I wonder what forms of operation are used by the commercial sector there to target the fish.
Yeah We've still got longliners but the commercial fleet is getting smaller and smaller each year - the bay should be net free by 2022

The scallop dredgers were like driving a bulldozer through the bush - if you do it often enough you end up with more dirt than trees -

and the nets also damage the grass beds - so getting rid of those forms of fishing allows the ecosystem to rebuild from the ground up -

When the snapper eggs hatch - they eat tiny stuff that lives in grassbeds - if you dont have grass beds - the whipper snappers dont eat.

Thats why pollution is rated as the biggest threat to marine ecosystems - its especially important in bays around big cities - a big snapper may be able to out run pollution and relocate - but the stuff its babies feed on cant - and if pollution kills the grassbeds and their inhabitants - you are well an truly screwed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 952.jpg (86.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 851.jpg (56.4 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 02-12-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:35 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Heres the threat levels according to NSW Gov reports

https://www.marine.nsw.gov.au/__data...-2018-2028.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 850.jpg (174.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 951.jpg (119.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 02-12-2018, 09:39 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

But I'm sure long liners who read rec fishing reports on face book arent helping.

There are some who believe the netters showing up a day after internet reports come flooding in of everyone bagging out at a certain location - arent a coincidence

Last edited by yellow door 1; 02-12-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:28 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Yeah We've still got longliners but the commercial fleet is getting smaller and smaller each year - the bay should be net free by 2022
Buy backs through the RFL or natural attrition n how many were there compared with today?

Its a work in progress
Old 03-12-2018, 01:51 AM
Mature Bream

If you want to see a impressive boat launching facility check out the set up they have just built on the Ross river in Townsville Qld, there's 8 double ramps available, 16 in total with tie up pontoons and car parking spots for around 60+ cars at a guess.
I heard it cost over 25 million and is the best facility ive come across.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: