Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Leader

Leader What type, what weight, what length, etc.

Old 25-02-2014, 07:09 PM
Blue Lip

Vanish is kak.
FC Rock is good.
Old 25-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
FC rock at 20 bucks for 50 yds
vanish at 9 bucks for 110 yds

The FC Rock Bream Special Comes on 50M spools @$20 (Havent used this so cant comment)
Normal FC Rock Comes in 100M Spools $20 ( Great stuff & great value for money)
Sunline Basic FC which is mainline and not leader, I use this and it has been great as leader in 8lb That's $24 for 300M (I haven't tried this n 4 or 6 lb though, but great value for my 8lb leader)
Vanish has let me down in the past on 3 different spools and would not use again. They may have fixed their issue but I lost quite a few good fish to vanish, and we all know the hurt of lost fish runs deep and indelible.
Old 25-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscateur View Post
The FC Rock Bream Special Comes on 50M spools @$20 (Havent used this so cant comment)
Normal FC Rock Comes in 100M Spools $20 ( Great stuff & great value for money)
Sunline Basic FC which is mainline and not leader, I use this and it has been great as leader in 8lb That's $24 for 300M (I haven't tried this n 4 or 6 lb though, but great value for my 8lb leader)
Vanish has let me down in the past on 3 different spools and would not use again. They may have fixed their issue but I lost quite a few good fish to vanish, and we all know the hurt of lost fish runs deep and indelible.
Corrected my original post - I meant the bream special and I lazily converted 50m to 50 yards to make easy comparison with 110yds. Hope I didn't confuse

Losing a fish does indeed hurt. My experience is the ones I've lost have all been much larger than the ones I've landed
Old 25-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Corrected my original post - I meant the bream special and I lazily converted 50m to 50 yards to make easy comparison with 110yds. Hope I didn't confuse

Losing a fish does indeed hurt. My experience is the ones I've lost have all been much larger than the ones I've landed
I'm easily confused, Actually the wrong part of your quite was deleted/kept meant to keep the last paragraph about value for money. And was just putting the Sunline Basic out there if one was penny pinching.
Old 25-02-2014, 10:14 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
I think this may be a case of pearls before swine and I think Alex and BWJ may make me wash my mouth out ..... but

Not at all mate,

Use whatever you like and whatever works for you. The OP asked which one and I recommended an FC Rock as a great fluoro and good value - $19.95 for a 100m.

I also recommended him an FC Sniper $21.95 for 200 yards if he is on the budget. I use them both, no problems.
I also use Unitika Aiger III in 6lbs as it is superior to anything I used before.

The only thing that limits me to use it more is a price ($21.95 for 50m) and my big collection of FC rock and sunline sniper that I bought in the last couple of years. Once they are used, I am a Unitika man.

I also use Toray in 3 lbs rating and it is great.

Vanish let me down before and I don't care for it and would refuse to use it even if I get it for free.

I don't understand the mentality why you would use a line of inferior quality risking to lose that big fish for a sake of a few saved dollars?
Whether you are a noob or an experienced angler shouldn't make any difference, use good stuff to avoid future disappointment, simple.

We speak from experience and trying to help guys here to avoid mistakes we went through, not to be tackle snobs (in majority of cases anyway ).

Cheers,

Monster Miki Addict
Old 25-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Blue Lip

No worries Alex. I only said that in jest as I know there is a dim view of vanish - didn't intend to imply tackle snobs haha. I just wanted to present that in my limited experience I've not had an issue with either of them. I think though that is more because I don't push my fishing and don't have the experience to appreciate the difference between the two.

I wasn't really trying to recommend either one ... More observing that as a noob I've used both, had no problems with either of them and probably in a blind test I'd be hard pressed to tell you which was which. Once my vanish is used up I won't be replacing, but also Id say I'd likely go for fc rock rather than the bream special version.

Cheers
Dave
Old 25-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Blue Lip

If you are looking at other leader the only ones that I have used and would consider using again are: Linesystems leaders, sunline vhard, harris fighter (yamatoyo) and fc rock.
If they're on, I'll be late, if it's quiet, I'll be late."
Old 26-02-2014, 01:31 AM
Mature Bream

For what its worth I have access to all Sunline leaders as a sponsored angler. How I set up is as follows.....Braid and leader---FC Rock for tournament pre fish and social. Used to be V-Hard but now FC Rock Bream Special for tournament day. Some guys have mentioned that they think that Bream Special is a marketing con. I can tell you its not, Sunline uses different materials to standard rock. Bream Special is the only Sunline leader to be produced with a new resin which has a refractive index closer to that of water than any other Sunline product. For straight through I use either Fc Rock or Fc Sniper. HTH...Cam.
Old 26-02-2014, 06:03 AM
Mature Bream

Fc Rock All The Way.
Old 26-02-2014, 06:51 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAZMO View Post
Just to play another tune.

I have used Vanish line as leader for many years and still do, catch fish and not have knots snap on me, only knots that have snapped are those of my slim beauty or double uni from over use as the main line sometimes frays.

So unless we're tying knots poorly or just pushing the boundaries too far the Vanish line or leader as leader material passes my books as suitable.

+1 Berkley Vanish (FC line as leader)
I've noticed you use the FC Vanish as a leader.

What I would like to know is why some people say its no good because its not a leader line, but line like FC Rock is good because it IS leader line? How is it any different? Both are fluorocarbon. How do you know its a leader line but the Vanish isn't?
Because the FC Rock comes in a smaller length so it must be?

I dunno, but what would people think of the same Vanish line if it came in a 50m spool?
The only leader that actually says on the label its a leader that I know of is the FC Rock bream special. Most of the others like regular FC rock, Nitlon etc just say fluorocarbon. Not leader. Same as the Vanish large spool.
Old 26-02-2014, 07:41 AM
Mature Bream

@grizzo, all fc's have different ingredient recipes. Leader lines generally are the least supple of fc's. This is because they are harder and as such are more resistant to scuffs and nicks. Straight through lines are generally more supple,softer and offer good castability but less resistance to the same abrasion.
Old 26-02-2014, 07:47 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzo View Post
I've noticed you use the FC Vanish as a leader.

What I would like to know is why some people say its no good because its not a leader line, but line like FC Rock is good because it IS leader line? How is it any different? Both are fluorocarbon. How do you know its a leader line but the Vanish isn't?

I dunno, but what would people think of the same Vanish line if it came in a 50m spool?
I think you are a bit confused here. Nobody says vanish is no good because it is not a leader line. What the majority say is that there are much much better fluoro lines (both leader material and spinning fluoro) than vanish.
Btw, vanish is available as a leader and a line.

When I started many years ago, the first fluoro at least at the time was vanish fluoro line. After having so many problems with it (not only me but plenty of others) I decided that it was the worst fluoro which wasn't worth my money.
Later Berkley brought a vanish leader material (on smaller spools) but the damage to the brand name was done unfortunately. Because of my bad past experience I didn't ever contemplate to give it a try.
Then very soon many new brands started popping up (nitlon, famell, harris, vhard) and vanish literally vanished and became a history.
As I said before use whatever you like (now Berkley has better products of better quality) but why risk of losing a fish of a lifetime by using a poor quality product if there are many that are far superior and proven over time by respected tournament anglers

Cam knows what he is talking about See his post earlier.
cheers

Monster Miki Addict
Old 26-02-2014, 08:02 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard View Post
@grizzo, all fc's have different ingredient recipes. Leader lines generally are the least supple of fc's. This is because they are harder and as such are more resistant to scuffs and nicks. Straight through lines are generally more supple,softer and offer good castability but less resistance to the same abrasion.
Hi. I understand that we like to use a fluorocarbon leader that is harder etc but Im just saying how do you know which ones are? How would you know which is which?

Also, why does FC rock just say fluorocarbon but FC rock bream special actually says 'leader'? Does that mean FC rock is not a leader?

Last edited by grizzo; 26-02-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 26-02-2014, 04:58 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
heard that vanish is a good leader but has bad knot strength.. i have also heard that fc is a good leader... any opionins....

thanks dman
Forget Fc Rock and get Yamatoyo Rockfish or Harris Fighter. Easily some of the best. I am using Amber 100% leader which i paid $10 for 50m delivered for made in Japan, and this stuff in 4lb does not even scuff when wrapped on a pylon. Needs a good terminal knot though. Has a lil stretch over the others, but makes it crazy strong. I even prefer Tackleworlds orange boxed Fluoro leader for under $15 better that FC Rock.

Just my opinion guys but i find the FC Rock uneccesarily hard, kinks easy and braid to leader knots with the tag end the oppostite way line can get stuck on spool as its so stiff. It must knot very well at terminal end however as I even had a Sebile Knot fail at the braid on it. Braid does not seem to dig into it and grip knot as easy. Even my no fail Alberto knot breaks on it. Benefit is you get 100m.

Sunline FC sniper is however an excellent full spool line, but have a new lot of Seaguar InvisX i grabbed for less to try out.

Last edited by vxcalais; 26-02-2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 26-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzo View Post
Hi. I understand that we like to use a fluorocarbon leader that is harder etc but Im just saying how do you know which ones are? How would you know which is which?

Also, why does FC rock just say fluorocarbon but FC rock bream special actually says 'leader'? Does that mean FC rock is not a leader?
Definately is a leader material.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: