Go Back   Bream Master Forums > All Things Camping > Campers, Tents and More

Campers, Tents and More Brands, styles what do you want to make your home away from home?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-05-2013, 06:30 AM
Poddy Bream

Just got an Oztrail Mitchell double. $400 i thought was good! It is Huge. I'm 190cm and fit easy it's 210 long by 145cm wide. Mainly got it too get the missus camping and along on the fishing trips

Sure there are some negatives but decide what is best for you. I have a light tent for when space in car or needing to walk is an issue but for comfort and ease the double swag rivals a 2 man tent, and if gear storage when camping is an issue set up a cheapie tent for all your other bags gear fishing equip etc.

For me with a ute it is perfect easy and I find the 7cm mattress a lot comfier than an inflatable or camping mat!

Just my 2 cents
Old 28-05-2013, 06:47 AM
EnviroJigs

Ive got the double mitchell as well and its great!
Old 28-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeye View Post
Spend the most you can afford, then a bit more.
I really stretched my budget when i bought mine but have never regretted it. Especially when its pouring with rain and my mates cheaper swag is leaking

Mine is a burke and willis. 10 years and still going strong
I was just about to mention to steer well clear of burke and wills swags, they look great have plenty of features but leak like a siv all around the seams, thought mine was great until it got rained on and I woke up laying in a puddle.
I expected a lot better quality for the Price!

Have since sealed it with canvas sealer 5 times and it doesen't leak,, as much would not buy another though!
Old 31-05-2013, 03:56 AM
Poddy Bream

Burke & Wills. I have the dome one, I think it's called Redgum. Money well spent.
Old 31-05-2013, 03:59 AM
Poddy Bream

Also, make sure you cure the canvas. Submerge the swag in the bath for 24hrs, let dry then repeat 2-4 times. Mine has never leaked.
Old 31-05-2013, 04:02 AM
Blue Lip

i've had a custom swag for many years now, and its been great
But times change and with that comes new stuff
Have a look at tarptent, get yourself a thermarest mattress and western mountaneering sleeping bag
wish i knew , what i do now , 7 years ago
Absolutely $#$#$##$ all a over a swag
a tent that weights 800 grams, a bed that weighs 800 grams, and a sleeping bag that weighs 800 grams, hmmmmmm
And all this fits in a woollys green bag
swags are oversized and heavy
food for thought

Last edited by basscada; 31-05-2013 at 04:05 AM.
Old 31-05-2013, 04:54 AM
Big Bream

I know Burke and Wills recommend setting a brand new swag up and giving it a reasonable wetting down, let dry and repeat. To let the threading swell into the stitching holes.
PVC base is better for waterproofing but isn't as durable as canvas if its for heavy use. I liked their heavy duty straping and better quality mattresses at the time. This was about 5 years ago but most the brand name swags have great models nowdays. Make sure it has zip up insect mesh though and anything else can be forgotten about with a few brews before bed
Old 31-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Blue Lip

the problem i have is the stitching between the pvc and canvas, did the soaking in the bath initially, but could still see pin holes all along the seam, after using proper sealant it's reduced the holes but still leaks but only a couple of hundred mls instead of a couple of litres.

one of those tent cots would be a lot more practicle
Old 31-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Mature Bream

I have a Wild Country Expedition King Size , cost me $200 and it's great does not leak and keeps me nice and warm on those cold nights and cool on the warm nights' The trick is when you buy a swag you have to thoroughly saturate it , numerous times and let it dry out to swell the stitching as has been said. When I first got mine I set it up in the back yard as it was forecast for rain , it got drenched and water got in. Dragged it onto the back verandah and let ot dry, then I put it back out when it rained again and then dried it out. I've slept in torrential downpours in it and been as dry as , I also leave the rearr flap slightly open and get no condensation inside

Ozzy

Old 31-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbrimin View Post
Got mine custom made from a canvas company nearly 20 years ago. 12oz canvas, pvc bottom and the top has a blanket layer sewed inside. Great swag and cost about $300 back then..
My thoughts exactly, had mine custom made also about 20 years ago, with extra thick pvc bottom, zipped fly screen both at end and top, zip out 75mm foam mattress and a -10deg sleeping bag. Have literally slept in it 100's of times in rain, snow (in the Wonnangatta), hail, 40+deg, and usually of a Friday night in preparation for an early Saturday morning hunt/fish somewhere up their in them hills. I do however have a serious hate of setting up/pulling down, drying out, re-packing tents. Each to their own I guess.

Only major drawback is if you get pissed out of your brains and roll it out in the dark on a big pile of timber, the effect on your back the next day is far from ideal? Also vomiting within your swag is not recommended.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: