Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-11-2015, 02:05 AM
Blue Lip

New Shimano FK Stradic

Just a quick post about said reel.

HAGNE as most have read would assume that their marketing is rock solid and that the body of the reel is made wholly from aluminum.

I've just cracked one open and one gear side (reel foot side opposite) is made from Poly Acetate (XT7G).

I'm wondering if Shimano wants to make a right and clear up their marketing as even Tackl Tour have gone all out to state that the reel body is made wholly from aluminium and there are a lot of people believing the speel.

Also the internals are pretty lackluster and weighty compared to the old FJ. I'll try to update with some pics during the week. Some interesting designs and some are just plain 'wtf'?

Not a bash post but a heads up for those considering a new FK purchase?

Andrew

P.s. this reel can take another 5 bearings throughout the reel, Worm drive rear, worm drive pawl, spool support, and handle knob, and I believe another in the line roller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Compressed (1).jpg (244.8 KB, 414 views)
File Type: jpg Compressed (2).jpg (151.3 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg Compressed (3).jpg (165.2 KB, 409 views)
File Type: jpg Compressed (4).jpg (157.3 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg Compressed (5).jpg (277.5 KB, 411 views)

Last edited by Slazmo; 17-11-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 17-11-2015, 02:55 AM
Mature Bream

i have always said the problem with the FJ series was it was too good. Shimano wasn't selling enough of its higher end reels. It had to be dropped from the line.
Old 17-11-2015, 03:07 AM
Mature Bream

The frame that holds the gears is metal, the cover plate is not.

Check the official description of the reel, they're not misleading anyone.
Old 17-11-2015, 03:18 AM
Blue Lip

These are some of the posts - one from Tackle Tour stating that the body is wholly aluminium.

And the statement from Shimano (Australia Page) about the Hagne body.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_2015-11-17-18-16-12-1.png (46.5 KB, 394 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_2015-11-17-15-54-13-1.png (162.0 KB, 396 views)

Last edited by Slazmo; 17-11-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 17-11-2015, 03:33 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
The side that holds the gears is Poly Acetate and the reel foot side is Aluminum.
Sorry, I've been pulling apart old reels and had a brain fart.
Old 17-11-2015, 04:13 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM79 View Post
Sorry, I've been pulling apart old reels and had a brain fart.
Ha ha no worries done 9 reels today and am feeling pretty hazy myself lol
Old 17-11-2015, 05:42 AM
Blue Lip

Love my Sustains FE and SOLs Series 1

Monster Miki Addict
Old 17-11-2015, 06:05 AM
Blue Lip

Should have seen the two Type 1 SOL's I did today - near brought a tear to my eye how well they've been looked after. Will post a pic of them up also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Compressed.jpg (131.5 KB, 393 views)

Last edited by Slazmo; 17-11-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Old 17-11-2015, 06:11 AM
Big Bream

Reality is after using my fk extensively pulling up some good catches it's still much tighter and smoother than my fj purchased brand new and used for less than 10hrs.
Old 17-11-2015, 06:14 AM
Big Bream

May I add though. Based on the marketing I would have believed that the entire frame is metal which it's not! So well spotted mate
Old 17-11-2015, 06:48 AM
Blue Lip

Liking my FK but only used it a couple of times,Slamzo line lay seems better than most of my other Shimano's is there something new internally or am i kidding myself ???
cheers nereus
Surface 39cm and work in progress
H/B mully 83cm and not so bitter
S/P mully 85cm on 4lb FC
Old 17-11-2015, 07:16 AM
Mature Bream

I've played with the FK and I like it, it's the first Stradic since the FI model that I'd consider buying.

That being said, if I can find a new and unused FI model I will buy it over an FK.

The FJ, for me, was nothing more than Shimano going "Hey look, white is back! Come and buy a new version of the classic Stradic.".

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin19870316 View Post
Based on the marketing I would have believed that the entire frame is metal which it's not!
The frame (side cover, reel foot) is all metal, it's the body (gear housing) that's not.

Last edited by PM79; 17-11-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Old 17-11-2015, 08:18 AM
Mature Bream

If only I read this earlier.........
My thought are the same as well,full aluminium body but if internal gears are sitting on plastic side,what's the chances it will take on abuse from years of use?.
Old 17-11-2015, 11:29 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by try to fish View Post
if internal gears are sitting on plastic side,what's the chances it will take on abuse from years of use?
I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 17-11-2015, 08:08 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.
I think a lot of reels from the FK line have been sold on the premise of that the body is wholly Aluminium, some may find it as a surprise and some may not. If I bought the reel on that fact I wouldnt be worrying about it lol.

Quote:
I've played with the FK and I like it, it's the first Stradic since the FI model that I'd consider buying.

The FJ, for me, was nothing more than Shimano going "Hey look, white is back! Come and buy a new version of the classic Stradic.".
From what I see, it seems that the guts of the Stradic FI went into the Stradic C Ci4 models, not part for part but the tooling of the parts as different metals and stuff were used to give less weight, agreed that the FI was a machine of a reel however its getting tired and I am seeing a few that have been internally bashed. Especially the one that Nagz and I both wanted to buy from a member on here but pulled out for good measure...

The FJ Stradic wasnt just that, yes in a way however same same with any name. I personally feel that the FJ was the embodiment of simple but effective engineering and the rest was up to the user within regards to care and use. For what they were the FJ's were what it feels the last of the line of what I knew as a proper Stradic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by try to fish View Post
If only I read this earlier......... My thought are the same as well,full aluminium body but if internal gears are sitting on plastic side,what's the chances it will take on abuse from years of use?.
This is the earliest I could get my hands on one - this reel was caked full of grease so yeh the owner wanted it done right.

The PA plastic (XT7G Graphite) is a strong plastic used in many of Shimano's reels like the TLD's and the Baitrunners etc etc etc, however it seems that they have got the tolerances right with the bearing seating in the FK for sure, there is still a little amount of bearing slop that could be sloppy shimmed however in relation to longevity its hard to say how or if this would affect, doubting that the normal everyday fisho would care, I myself would however thats me.

If you were to use the handle on the LH side which the body is made from Aluminium I would say that the reel would appreciate it more as there would be less flex on that side. Hence why I have moved to LH retrieve on all reels able to do so, and shimmed the hell out of all the bearings that show an amount of slop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereus View Post
Liking my FK but only used it a couple of times,Slamzo line lay seems better than most of my other Shimano's is there something new internally or am i kidding myself ???
cheers nereus
Could be a tolerance change to the worm drive, there is still the typical worm drive slop where you can lift and drop the spool which shows that the shaft has some freedom there. Its all got to do with the gearing and the line lay, I would say that the boffins at Shimano have redesigned the gears to work a system to make the line lay nicer, I havent had an issue with previous models so cant comment any further with it sorry.

In saying so there is a sense of mechanical drag in this reel, how much is hard to say as I am a large bloke that doesn't see that much in rotational resistance as a downside. There are a lot more miniature gears in this reel in opposition to that of the previous model the FJ. My worry is that without maintenance there will be some wear and eventual breakdown somewhere along the line (worst case scenario).

Last edited by Slazmo; 17-11-2015 at 08:50 PM.