Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-2016, 04:33 AM
Blue Lip

Ain't my first jury-rigging rodeo

If I were doing it, I would make up an assist type hook on a snelled loop of 100lb braid that you can just hitch to the tow point, then just use a tiny rubber band to hold the treble in place on the bottom mount.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:38 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
Ain't my first jury-rigging rodeo

If I were doing it, I would make up an assist type hook on a snelled loop of 100lb braid that you can just hitch to the tow point, then just use a tiny rubber band to hold the treble in place on the bottom mount.
Very clever
Old 05-06-2016, 04:50 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Very clever
BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!!!

If you wanted to get really fancy, you could go as far as grinding off the bottom mount, drilling an appropriately sized hole and gluing a small rate earth magnet in the body to hold your trebel. Excessive, yes. Practical, no. Fulfilling when you land a 30kg Jewie on it, extremely.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:13 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!!!

If you wanted to get really fancy, you could go as far as grinding off the bottom mount, drilling an appropriately sized hole and gluing a small rate earth magnet in the body to hold your trebel. Excessive, yes. Practical, no. Fulfilling when you land a 30kg Jewie on it, extremely.
I had to google up these rare-earth magnets to see if costs may be prohibitive - But 20 for a dollar sounds reasonable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3252.jpg (45.8 KB, 1 views)
Old 05-06-2016, 05:27 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
I had to google up these rare-earth magnets to see if costs may be prohibitive - But 20 for a dollar sounds reasonable.
see if you can find some that are as tall as they are wide, or close to it. They'll hold on better.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:21 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
see if you can find some that are as tall as they are wide, or close to it. They'll hold on better.
Alright - my experience with magnets could be generously described as "limited" so go easy on me.

I cant drill into this lure as its fairly delicate but I did find these magnets with holes in them on ebay.

I was thinking about attaching 2 of them to the belly eyelet on a short loop of mono and using them like a magnetized clamp - Could that work.

I was thinking I just file out a groove for the treble shaft to fit into so the magnets can make better contact with each other.

Obviously $2 coins are much larger than the magnet will be - but you get the picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3249.JPG (28.4 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 3248.jpg (91.6 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 05-06-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:45 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

I just conducted some preliminary tests with piss weak fridge magnets - and I'm becoming more optimistic And these lures need a little extra weight
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3247.jpg (71.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 3246.jpg (141.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 05-06-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:38 PM
Mature Bream

Just be sure the magnets aren't ferrite, as when the fishing is quiet you will be able to sit there and watch them rust.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:43 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjspinner View Post
Just be sure the magnets aren't ferrite, as when the fishing is quiet you will be able to sit there and watch them rust.
Yeah I was worried about that. I'll check it out.

The ones I'm looking at are called

"10x DISC Rare Earth NdFeB Neodymium 10mm x 3mm Round Magnets Hole 3mm N35" But I dont know what any of that means.

Just checked it out on Wiki and it all seems pretty straight forward

Neodymium magnet

A neodymium magnet (also known as NdFeB, NIB or Neo magnet), the most widely used[1] type of rare-earth magnet, is a permanent magnet made from an alloy of neodymium, iron and boron to form the Nd2Fe14B tetragonal crystalline structure.[2] Developed in 1982 by General Motors and Sumitomo Special Metals, neodymium magnets are the strongest type of permanent magnet commercially available.[2][3] They have replaced other types of magnets in the many applications in modern products that require strong permanent magnets, such as motors in cordless tools, hard disk drives and magnetic fasteners.

Description

The tetragonal Nd2Fe14B crystal structure has exceptionally high uniaxial magnetocrystalline anisotropy (HA~7 teslas - magnetic field strength H in A/m versus magnetic moment in A.m2).[4] This gives the compound the potential to have high coercivity (i.e., resistance to being demagnetized). The compound also has a high saturation magnetization (Js ~1.6 T or 16 kG) and typically 1.3 teslas. Therefore, as the maximum energy density is proportional to Js2, this magnetic phase has the potential for storing large amounts of magnetic energy (BHmax ~ 512 kJ/m3 or 64 MG·Oe). This magnetic energy value is about 18 times greater than "ordinary" magnets by volume. This property is considerably higher in NdFeB alloys than in samarium cobalt (SmCo) magnets, which were the first type of rare-earth magnet to be commercialized. In practice, the magnetic properties of neodymium magnets depend on the alloy composition, microstructure, and manufacturing technique employed.

Last edited by yellow door 1; 05-06-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:02 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Looks like its "Back to the Lab Again"

"Neodymium Magnets without coating or plating will fail immediately in the Salt Fog environment. The Salt Fog test is used to evaluate the performance of the plating or coating and it is not used to judge the quality of the Neo alloy itself. Various elevated temperature and humidity test can be used to evaluate the bare Neo alloy. The effective volume loss of the evaluated neo magnet is used to determine the quality of the neo magnet alloy. One compares the effective mass before and after the environmental testing exposure. (The “lost” volume is portion of the Neo alloy which reacted during the environmental testing and “rusted”. The rust/oxidation is removed from the sample and the resulting mass difference between the initial state is quantified.)

It is imperative to apply the correct corrosion inhibiting layer or to encapsulate any Neo magnet used in a commercial application. (The corrosion preventative layer can be absent for proof of concepts and prototypes.)"
Old 05-06-2016, 06:07 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

All hope is not lost - I just saw on a fish tank forum that guys coat their neo magnets in 2 part epoxy
Old 05-06-2016, 06:53 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Alright - my experience with magnets could be generously described as "limited" so go easy on me.

I cant drill into this lure as its fairly delicate but I did find these magnets with holes in them on ebay.

I was thinking about attaching 2 of them to the belly eyelet on a short loop of mono and using them like a magnetized clamp - Could that work.

I was thinking I just file out a groove for the treble shaft to fit into so the magnets can make better contact with each other.

Obviously $2 coins are much larger than the magnet will be - but you get the picture
You're going to want to keep the magnet relatively small. Those 10x3mm ones will stick together and require a host of burly lumberjacks and a titanium wedge to separate. Not to mention the fact that your lure will pick up every piece of ferrous metal it comes near. You could maybe get away with putting one of these either side of the eyelet and covering them in epoxy. Either that or cutting a 2mm wide slot across the width of the belly just in front of the eyelet and slotting one in there.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50-Pieces...QTx6uVyVQ5GATA
Old 05-06-2016, 06:56 PM
Blue Lip

Also, most of these are nickel coated which helps prevent corrosion but I'd still epoxy coat them first.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:04 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
You're going to want to keep the magnet relatively small. Those 10x3mm ones will stick together and require a host of burly lumberjacks and a titanium wedge to separate. Not to mention the fact that your lure will pick up every piece of ferrous metal it comes near. You could maybe get away with putting one of these either side of the eyelet and covering them in epoxy. Either that or cutting a 2mm wide slot across the width of the belly just in front of the eyelet and slotting one in there.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50-Pieces...QTx6uVyVQ5GATA
Sweet - I just grabbed a set and I'll have a play around - thanks
Old 05-06-2016, 10:50 PM
Mature Bream

if you've got some old hard drives lying around, they have some powerful magnets inside them (to the point where you will struggle to get two of them apart) - not sure if they'll meet your salt water requirements though.

they look like this - the magnet can be taken off by slowly bending the metal bracket in a vice with a shifter and prying the magnet off with a screwdriver.

http://www.breammaster.com/forum/att...1&d=1465181164
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (64.7 KB, 159 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: