Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 20-12-2013, 02:33 AM
Mature Bream

It still is going to depend on what species you are targeting e.g. whiting,gar ,snook,bream,squid,salmon you don't need anything much over $100-$140 and it will run for years.

When i stop and talk to people i can see what they are using,some will be regulars and some just family fun.But the regulars aren't using expensive gear either for species mentioned as when it starts to wear out they buy another.

Sure nothing wrong in buying good quality gear at higher prices i've done it buying 2 reels for $1800 but it was an overkill for my fishing location and being wasted money.(don't own either now).

I think some people like to pose some like to say i bought the best what ever rocks your boat.

The most funny thing i found is forum members and seeing what they own,geez some people crap on in forums giving totally different impressions to how often they fish or what they own.

Some of the guys i know are serious fisho's will have the medium quality gear as they put in many hours and don't want to be buying a new reel every 18 months.
Old 20-12-2013, 04:20 AM
Big Bream

I think most blokes that are right into there fishing and put in lots of hours buy new reels atleast every 6 months... that seems to be the go on new reels coming out by Shimano anyway. An everyone wants to try that next new thing. Or maybe that's just me, still find myself buying new Sustain FE's off Happy.
Old 20-12-2013, 04:59 AM
Blue Lip

Just respray any new reel with multiple different Inox products and Im sure it will turn into a super reel……

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAZMO View Post
Because the more you know the better you are off - hence why I am doing my own reel servicing. Doing the best I can to get the most of my reels while there in their use period - if I can see things occuring in a small scale its better to nip it in the butt then than later when it all goes major SNAFU.
Mind you a digital microscope is only $50 - who doesnt like super macro shots of small things?

I am true to my roots of 'KISS' however what I do keeps 'KISS' in a constant. I sit here rolling my eye's to a lot that goes on here however bear with it, especially with rod's of all things. I am as good a grass roots fisho you'll find!

Anyhow I'm going to have a lie down. Just donated blood to the pathology - .

www.searingtackle.com.au
Old 20-12-2013, 05:19 AM
Big Bream

Hmmmm.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (57.2 KB, 194 views)
Old 20-12-2013, 05:22 AM
Blue Lip

Hahaha

MX5 is better than MX7 for that purpose…

IMHO!

www.searingtackle.com.au
Old 20-12-2013, 05:22 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paz View Post
The reason the parts are interchangeable is because Ecooda copied the Daiwa reels. It doesn't mean it's Daiwa quality.

This happens CONSTANTLY with Chinese manufacturers and you'd be surprised how many reels there are on the market that you can put Daiwa parts in and vice-versa.

I think there is a lot of hoping and praying and wishing in this thread because everyone wants a high end reel for a budget price - the price is the price for a reason.

Ecooda have not magically found cheaper materials or manufacturing techniques to make their reels as good as Daiwa but cheaper.

The thing that separates Ecooda from the other mid-tier Chinese made reels is they look good - that is it.
That's true, but if you compared say a kyzer to a $130 daiwa or shimano it will DohDohDohDoh all over it. Yes the top range shimano and daiwa's are better than the top range ecooda then the big companies are better. If you compare price for price I think you will find the ecooda's will feel a lot better and will be made of better quality materials.
I have owned certates and sustains and lower end reels from daiwa or shimano, and In my opinion ecooda have the best bang for buck reels. If you are looking for perfection or a "high end" feel, ecooda isn't the brand for you. But for those who just want value for money gear that does the job, ecooda is a winner.

In yet to try an ecooda rod or lure, my opinions above are based purely on my own personal use of reels.
Old 20-12-2013, 08:53 AM
SLAZMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasenash View Post
Hmmmm.....
Really mature. I guess you don't know what sponsorship means vs. trialling the product. Did IQ's drop since earlier today??

Anyhow can see where this is all heading - makes you wonder why some of the old guard left years ago off this forum!

Last edited by SLAZMO; 20-12-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 20-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnie View Post
SLAZMO reply
So much so that I think I want to get my own digital microscope and analyze my own reel parts - wear patterns etc.
.................WHY..............

What happened to just going out and fishing and enjoying it,that's what it's all meant to be.Have you or are you losing your way from just a basic time of fishing.Seriously you must be joking...are you ?
The world needs all sorts jonnie. Sure, some of us are more than happy just to sit and play with our rods and thats all it takes to keep the little hampster wheel inside our skull turning. Then theres others that need to put the rod under a microscope to see why it does what it does and how can it be made to do what it does better. I dont quite understand why you would be so shocked that someone could possibly be interested in studying and improving existing technology?? Id even suggest that a SLAZMO type interest in things is the exact reason why every new generation enjoys the improvements to tehnology that they inevitably do...

As for not touching sub $400 Shimanos.....

Im a staunch Daiwa fan and even i know thats crazy talk!
Old 20-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmaso View Post
misprinting your own website and not checking it doesnt fill me with any confidence...
Just reading through this thread and saw this post

Have you read a shimano or daiwa catalogue and looked at their websites?? Lol not shy of a cheeky DohDohDohDoh up there

Nagz
Old 20-12-2013, 07:09 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by manno View Post
The world needs all sorts jonnie. Sure, some of us are more than happy just to sit and play with our rods and thats all it takes to keep the little hampster wheel inside our skull turning. Then theres others that need to put the rod under a microscope to see why it does what it does and how can it be made to do what it does better. I dont quite understand why you would be so shocked that someone could possibly be interested in studying and improving existing technology?? Id even suggest that a SLAZMO type interest in things is the exact reason why every new generation enjoys the improvements to tehnology that they inevitably do...

As for not touching sub $400 Shimanos.....

Im a staunch Daiwa fan and even i know thats crazy talk!
Manufacturers have people who are paid to do this called R & D,how many times are you going to re invent the spinning reel with every new model
Old 20-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Blue Lip

I started this thread over a year ago and the Kyzer is still going strong,I've greased up the bail roller a couple of times and smoothed out the drag(i'm just a bit fussy) but that is all thats been required.I reckon you would have to neglect it pretty seriously to kill it imo
cheers nereus
Surface 39cm and work in progress
H/B mully 83cm and not so bitter
S/P mully 85cm on 4lb FC
Old 20-12-2013, 11:54 PM
Mature Bream

How many hours do you reckon you've put on the kyzer Nereus
Old 21-12-2013, 12:36 AM
Blue Lip

Hard to say as i have a lot of gear i tend to rotate through depending on the style of fishing i'm doing.The Kyzer tends to get the pointy end of the stick like fishing off beaches or rocks as its the cheaper of my reels.I would guess at around 80hrs.I'm not whiting fishing out the boat much lately but i reckon this reel is that type of workhorse.
cheers nereus
Surface 39cm and work in progress
H/B mully 83cm and not so bitter
S/P mully 85cm on 4lb FC
Old 06-01-2015, 07:53 AM
Mature Bream

How are you guys going with these ecooda Kyzer reels.Still running smooth ?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: