Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Big Bream

'15 Shimano Aldebaran review.

Foreword, as this was written for TTF, the prices and weights are intended for the US. Also its are bit hard to avoid a more technical write-up when looking into the bits and pieces of a reel, not everyone's cup of tea. Because of this, I've moved the video up to the beginning for the bream master version.

Enjoy

The Lightweight King - Shimano 2015 Aldebaran 51 HG review.

Like the Exsence DC, my guess is there’ll be a review by TackleTour on the Aldebaran 2015 in the future, hence I’ll depart from the article style report and narrow it down to key points relevant to anglers in this review.

This is one for the Shimano rep bragging points. Officially stated to be 135g on the scales it just under at 133.5 or under 4.7oz.

With a magnesium frame, carbon reinforced plastic for the both side plates the ’15 Aldebaran retains an alloy handle, dragstar, tension cap and rubber knobs similar to previous shimano septon albeit thinner in profile.

On the palm plate is the plate locking latch and the SVS control dial which like the Metanium has marked increments from 1-6 but doesn’t click into each setting making it easy to fine tune in detail.

Opening up reveals the SVS braking system, Shimano’s iteration of the flying arm centrifugal brake design. This time with 4 brakes.

Like the current Metanium the clutch can be re-engaged by lifting the thumbar much like Daiwas.

A large tapered line guide sits further away from the spool compared to the norm, this is consistent with current generation Shimano LP casting reels. Currently in industry there are a multitude of line guide shapes and naturally each brand claims their own as game changing, however along with TWS by Daiwa only this configuration of tapered guide plus extended distance visibly produces lower line angles as line peels off. It is this reduction in line angle that produces tangible improvements to casting distance of reels from both camps.

Like the Aldebaran XG BFS and Calcutta Conquest the ’15 Aldebaran has a spool with a retained bearing. It also is the first feature of springs underneath both the spool bearing and the palm plate bearing. This Shimano has dubbed SilentTune. Together the whole spool assembly is 12g with capacity of 100m of 10lb reference monofilament.

Without casting, it functions to centre the spool regardless of spool tension even with ample side play on the spool.

Taking the reel apart further, underneath the cast aluminium dragstar is a wave spring as seen before in the ’13 Metanium and Saltiga Expedition. These springs can generate the same force with less spring height resulting in full open drag to full lock in under one complete turn of the drag and less effort locking down the last few clicks to full drag.

The handle side plate is secured by 5 screws, 2 regular sized 3 much thinner ones than previous models. Note only one main screw goes into the alloy frame with the other 4 going from the frame to the CRP sideplate, differences in threads on the screws can be seen.

The main gear comprised of Aluminium alloy, with conventional sized gearing and Dartanium outer/ Carbontex inner drag washers. Drag is smooth throughout the range of drag pressure.

A departure from previous Shimanos, the clutch trip linkage rather than being a solid alloy piece is now a plastic linkage with attached alloy reinforcement.

A bearing in the handle side plate underneath the tension cap. Ball bearings, like reel weight can often be just another marketing quality however this one and the another in the frame is one that sets Shimano and Daiwa reels apart from the also rans, the two bearings support the pinion gear, a small gear that spins as fast as the spool on retrieve, is required to shift along its axis (to disengage spool) and often placed under considerable strain. This keeps the gears meshed with closer tolerances and less friction under load.

Other details,

Like the Metanium HG the Aldebaran HG has a 85mm bent handle with 2 bearings per knob. Unlike the Metanium the knobs are smaller and no longer distinguish from a left hand or right hand retrieve.

On the water

Given its weight and speed I opted to test the Aldebaran HG as part of a jerk bait setup. Paired with a Phenix M1 6’9”ML casting rod and 14lb Sunline Sniper FC I casted a variety of baits including the Rapala BXM10, Megabass Vision 110 and at on stage a Imakatsu Javallon 110 unweighted.

A light powerful reel with a light powerful rod. Under 8.6oz with line.

Besides the obvious benefits of a lightweight setup I found the spring loaded spool entering allowed me to dial the tension cap right down yet remain controllable. Tension off, 2 brakes on, SVS set at 3 on a great loading rod I was able to cast medium distances with methods usually reserved for much shorter casts. Placing jerkbaits up against vegetation at a rapid pace was effortless. Note on the video the close to complete absence of sound during the cast, again very similar to the Metanium’s SVS brakes and among the best example of a centrifugal braking system. Together with the shallower spool and reduced line angle through the level wind the Aldebaran makes for a formidable finesse reel.

On the subject of retrieve, although I have not used resistance baits more than a 6’ crank thus far, sensations whilst cranking under load is unique. Being a magnesium reel with plastic side plates it did feel unavoidably hollow in hand, however at no point did the retrieve felt laboured or hesitant. and after several hours of use I surmise its a reel that works great even though first impression doesn't feel great on the retrieve.

Perhaps this section is best described as a short clip:

Against the field.

The Aldebaran does sit amongst incumbent competitors and in some ways they are some obvious similarities.

From its rival compatriot comes the SS SV now rebranded as the US Steez, at around $400 USD, it is also a Mg framed reel with CRP side plates, an effective easy casting SV brake system with similar capacity, the finesse Daiwa also benefits a double bearing supported pinion (Daiwas has long had this, Shimano just gave the bearing a name) weighing in at 150g/5.3oz.

For $480USD is the Concept KP, again a Mg frame with CRP side plates, Weighs in at 5.03oz/145g line capacity 12lb/80m. With the trick shop it has access to a variety of factory coloured parts, and now in 2015 it has add features such as left hand wind variants plus a sideplate that hinged on the reel for easier brake adjustments.

Now the Ald yet again an Mg frame, CRP side plates costing $420 USD it has a series of tangible improvements from its spool aligment springs, SVS system allowing for on the fly fine changes and fine tuning of the brakes, like the SS/Steez it’s “X-ship” means it’s also equipped with a double bearing supported pinion, holds 80m of 12lb FC, at <135g its also lighter than the next lightest reel by over 10g. It might not be the prettiest reel out there but its performance makes it a contender.

Last edited by Martin Lo; 02-08-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:54 AM
Poddy Bream

good write up mr lo , how does it go throwing small places i.e. 2.5" grubs etc?
Old 03-08-2015, 07:33 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsquid View Post
good write up mr lo , how does it go throwing small places i.e. 2.5" grubs etc?
Haven't tried yet. I have a heap of reels that casts light above and beyond a pixy. the minute I picked up this reel I thought it would be perfect for jerk baits and maybe pitching jigs.

I'll give it a go although given its spool depth I doubt it'll keep up with dedicated BFS reels

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: