Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Mature Bream

Attached Images
File Type: jpg shimano.jpg (210.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-09-2013, 03:42 PM
Mature Bream

This thread needs to be renamed to "shimano boy or daiwa MAN"
Old 11-09-2013, 09:06 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbdshroom View Post
lol, love it

Shimano seems easier for the first time buyer, with less to choose from, excellent balance and wind, but takes time for gears to wear in and slightly heavier. Excellent build quality externally and easier to service (more info around ). Shimano use a softer grease making them smoother first up.

Daiwa 2000 size reel is superior in size/balance over the Shimano 2500 and smaller for sitting on rods perfect for Bream fishing. Especially with split grips. No matter if 240 grams or 200 grams, they reels sit really well on the rod and the bail arm is superior to shimano as well. Daiwa air bail is superior over Shimano bails. Problem with Daiwa especially for first time buyer is they have too large a range or reels with similar specs and looks but variations in price. Other brands have increments in price when it comes to more bearings, better components etc. Daiwa will have same specs and internals but charge more for different models etc. but seem the same. Spare spools are also overly priced. My Daiwa reel however is an amazing reel to me since servicing with synthetic soft grease and lanox oil and upgrading to carbontex washers. Slightly more handle play however. But just awesome to use and will be my go to this summer.

Daiwa also play games with their prices and labelling from what i can see in the lower to mid range items. They seem to re label different models in different countries and charge for this. For example the Daiwa Legalis Aus version vs US version. US version is cheaper but far superior in quality, reviews and specs to Oz version. Daiwa US 'themselves' told me this is done to stop importing and exporting to different countries and under cutting local versions sold.

I have an Okuma Goth 25 and a new Pfleuger Arbor SW30 and these are both just amazing reels in size, build quality (materials and lack of slack) and price compared for either Shimano or Daiwa of similar specs. You will be surprised what other brands have as well.

SHIMANO is like TOYOTA and DAIWA is like HONDA

Last edited by vxcalais; 11-09-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka-T View Post
4 pages in and this thread hasn't been locked!! Well done boys
Jarvis Walker all the way, just for the record
lol, especially aquatec with 1 bearing.......
Old 11-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxcalais View Post
So what your saying is...Shimano is better
Old 12-09-2013, 12:00 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexton View Post
So what your saying is...Shimano is better
Toyotas run better for a long time and easier to fix, Hondas have some better features extras and better style. Shimano people tend to hold on to their gear longer, Daiwa people love to upgrade and rarely use something a few years old. On this forum all new shiney Daiwas, compared to scratched up Shimanos etc.

Last edited by vxcalais; 12-09-2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:21 AM
Blue Lip

Interesting read. For me I prefer a Twinpower on my DSR but enjoy a Fuego on my Samurai. Each has their place because of what they are and how they help make the combinations work for me. Regards, HBt.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:01 AM
Big Bream

vxcalais - what makes the Daiwa bail arm superior to Shimano's? This is how I see it... it is probably the most useless part of any reel. No matter how thin you make it you could never damage it in any way while fishing. Why Daiwa have made a bail wire that's as thick as a power pole only to be hollow anyway is beyond me.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:08 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukereneeseth View Post
vxcalais - what makes the Daiwa bail arm superior to Shimano's? This is how I see it... it is probably the most useless part of any reel. No matter how thin you make it you could never damage it in any way while fishing. Why Daiwa have made a bail wire that's as thick as a power pole only to be hollow anyway is beyond me.
I know people who have damaged Shimano bail arms

Pure Fishing

Follow my team page:

www.facebook.com/toddrichesfishing
Old 12-09-2013, 02:23 AM
Big Bream

there you go... How did they do it? I'm trying to fathom how its possible. because my 4000DL baitrunner has the thin wire and for some reason it closes on me atleast twice every outing, I use that off the banks to throw live mullet on 2oz lead and all it does is bust the line which is 30lb braid 40lb leader. Even still you'd think the design of the bail wire would slide the line to the roller bearing before much force would create a problem. Not to mention the flexibility of the bail wire anyway.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:21 AM
Mature Bream

Nice one redfinfisho! Lol
Old 12-09-2013, 03:36 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Hi mate.
What rod should I use for a Civic, and how much 6lb braid will I need to spool it up?
Old 12-09-2013, 03:45 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
lol, love it

Shimano seems easier for the first time buyer, with less to choose from, excellent balance and wind, but takes time for gears to wear in and slightly heavier. Excellent build quality externally and easier to service (more info around ). Shimano use a softer grease making them smoother first up.

Daiwa 2000 size reel is superior in size/balance over the Shimano 2500 and smaller for sitting on rods perfect for Bream fishing. Especially with split grips. No matter if 240 grams or 200 grams, they reels sit really well on the rod and the bail arm is superior to shimano as well. Daiwa air bail is superior over Shimano bails. Problem with Daiwa especially for first time buyer is they have too large a range or reels with similar specs and looks but variations in price. Other brands have increments in price when it comes to more bearings, better components etc. Daiwa will have same specs and internals but charge more for different models etc. but seem the same. Spare spools are also overly priced. My Daiwa reel however is an amazing reel to me since servicing with synthetic soft grease and lanox oil and upgrading to carbontex washers. Slightly more handle play however. But just awesome to use and will be my go to this summer.

Daiwa also play games with their prices and labelling from what i can see in the lower to mid range items. They seem to re label different models in different countries and charge for this. For example the Daiwa Legalis Aus version vs US version. US version is cheaper but far superior in quality, reviews and specs to Oz version. Daiwa US 'themselves' told me this is done to stop importing and exporting to different countries and under cutting local versions sold.

I have an Okuma Goth 25 and a new Pfleuger Arbor SW30 and these are both just amazing reels in size, build quality (materials and lack of slack) and price compared for either Shimano or Daiwa of similar specs. You will be surprised what other brands have as well.

Nicely said mate! Have to agree with you on that one!

I guess there both two great brands and each one have there's ups and downs...

NBDSHROOM... True that mate!!! Hahaha!!!
Old 12-09-2013, 03:47 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
Hi mate.
What rod should I use for a Civic, and how much 6lb braid will I need to spool it up?
Mate just a 2-4kg Toyota stick should suit it fine hahahaha. I think you will have to go heavier than 6lb but...
Old 12-09-2013, 03:49 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by tks View Post
This thread needs to be renamed to "shimano boy or daiwa MAN"
Hahahha... Nah daiwa are for the fancy boys while shimano is for the true men they gift physical with them without having to worry about there gear