Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Old 14-05-2015, 04:02 PM
Blue Lip

Yak fishing tips .... Getting started

A pedal yak isn't in my immediate future so I'm going to have another crack at a paddle yak. I used to be a kayak instructor a few decades ago so I'm rusty but im pretty covered in terms of basic paddling.

What I'm not any good at is fishing at the same time. Other than targeting areas with minimal or no current what are the key techniques for fishing estuarine environments and the metro rivers (I'll be in the Nong mainly). So it's small drop-offs banks, bridges, pylons etc.

is it all just drift fishing? Any tips on how you setup for, approach and fish various structure in a paddle yak?

I've had a search around the net but can't really find much that covers the basic stuff of how to fish from a yak - it's usually fishing technique or equipment focused - very little on boat positioning, control - or how you're meant to manage a rod and the boat at the same time.

Thanks
Old 14-05-2015, 05:13 PM
Blue Lip

Where you can, always approach your target area from down current, you'll find you don't get pushed around to much especially in a longer yak with a decent keel. Then you only need the of little paddle stroke to stay in position and can work structure over nicely then move forward to the next bit as opposed to drififng with the current and going straight past and getting maybe one good cast and retrieve
Old 14-05-2015, 05:35 PM
Blue Lip

Definitely get/make a little hand paddle dave. Very helpful when positioning the yak during a fight.
Old 14-05-2015, 06:42 PM
Mature Bream

Also consider items like stakeout poles (awesome in shallow water with softish bottom, OK in shallow water with firm bottom, useless in deep water), a 1m bit of rope with a loop in one end and a carabiner on the other for quick and easy tying up, and (I seldom use mine) an anchor.

Pedals make this all so much easier.
Old 14-05-2015, 07:13 PM
Mature Bream

My advice is to keep it simple. It's very easy to get carried away with Yak fishing and rig up with everything bar the kitchen sink. It just adds time and weight. These days I usually just take 1 rod and my backpack strapped to the rear of the yak.

In general, the basic fishing Yaks aren't all that comfortable if you plan on paddling long distance. The other consideration is that when you paddle, you can't fish. I try to time my sessions so that I drift in and out with the change of the tide, that will maximise your fishing time. If I pass a section that has a lot of activity then I might double back to give it another crack.

Plan ahead, use google earth to suss out good spots and figure out a plan of attack before you hit the water. You might not always stick to the plan, sometimes you'll figure out a plan B as you go, but you'll soon figure out what works and then the fish will come.... It's a whole new learning experience. I felt in a lot of ways that I was starting all over again when I first got into a Yak. In the end it's just like anytype of fishing, you have to be patient and put the time in to get the rewards.

Good luck!
Old 15-05-2015, 01:05 AM
Blue Lip

Thanks guys. Sounds like I need to try a stakeout pole or basically be very selective in the areas and times I target.

Stupidly I hadn't considered that current goes up and down the river lol .... even though I have fished both landbased I hadn't considered the difference that makes when on the water - doh!

Sounds like I might have to plan a trip either side of a tide change ... guess the worst case is a bit of a hard paddle back.
Old 15-05-2015, 01:52 AM
Big Bream

There's few things that are more annoying than trying to position yourself for a cast in windy conditions, so pick days that are relatively still. On windier days, or if there's some current, I often use a small spring loaded clamp to which I have tied some lightweight cord. The other end is tied off to the kayak with a loop knot. It's just a matter of finding a branch, some reeds, or just about anything to clamp yourself into place and you can cast away to your hearts content.