Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 14-02-2015, 08:11 AM
Poddy Bream

PX, alphas or T3

Looking into getting a new baitcaster for throwing lighter stuff and just wondering out of the PX68, Alphas finesse custom or a T3 is better for the light stuff and what feels best in hand.

If it was up to me id go for an 04 liberto pixy but they are getting pretty hard to find in the condition id like so use that as a base to compare reels.

Cheers for the help.
Old 14-02-2015, 08:44 AM
Blue Lip

Depends what you're fishing for, where you're fishing

All the usual stuff we need to know before any recommendations can be made
Old 14-02-2015, 05:47 PM
Mature Bream

How about the new Shimano Aldebaran and Metanium DC being released?
Old 14-02-2015, 05:54 PM
Mature Bream

I own an Alphas finesse custom and a px68r spr. For lures upwards of 6g there is little difference in their casting ability despite the alphas having a mag brake and the pixy having a centrifugal brake but under 6g the px has an edge and ive cast lures down to 2.7g pretty well. I wouldn't even bother trying that low with a stock Alphas fc. There is obviously a price difference. The px also has tighter tolerances, less handle play etc and is 40g lighter. One problem i have had with the px68 SPR is that water can deflect off your thumb on the cast and spray into the side of the spool and get onto the drum that the centrifugal brake pads make contact with basically screwing up your cast. You need to undo a thumb screw and take the side plate off and blow out the water. It happens if you are in the habit of thumbing the spool thru the whole cast which is completely unnecessary with a centrifugal brake. Once I broke that habit I no longer had the problem. I cant comment on the T3 but the increase in casting ability would have to be pretty damn huge for me to want to add the weight and complexity of the T wing system to a reel and so far the reviews ive seen haven't really given me the impression that its a big improvement for finesse applications.

I have the alphas for sale in excellent condition for $200 if you are interested. The PX68 SPR is on sale and Mo's for $299 at the moment which is super cheap.

Last edited by benny88; 14-02-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 14-02-2015, 07:03 PM
Mature Bream

Like Nagz said, we need more information. The Alphas and PX are finesse freshwater reels, the T3 a heavier duty saltwater reel. Both the freshwater reels will throw down to 3g on the right rod, The T3 is more a bass/barra reel with a long cast facility. All 3 are lovely reels in their own right.
Old 14-02-2015, 08:08 PM
Mature Bream

T3 reels are now discontinued so you can get a T3 SV for around $350 in Australia without having to import it yourself. I can't see how that reel could be considered a bass/barra reel only as it can easily cast sx-43 ecogear lures. There is a new Alphas coming out pretty soon. I love my T3 SV!!!

If you're buying from Japan, check out a Shimano Brenious. They are a saltwater friendly finesse bc and cost about $250 or so. I don't understand why people in Australia buy freshwater only reels given we are the driest continent and most of the fish live in salt.
Old 14-02-2015, 08:35 PM
Blue Lip

Didnt know the t3 was discontinued great reel for what you get.
The t3 SV is a great reel for the $$$ or you can get a t3 and upgrade to SV specs.Depends what you want to throw.
Make sure you gave the rod that can load up small lures.Look for Bait finesse specs if thats the case.
Old 14-02-2015, 08:50 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTP View Post
T3 reels are now discontinued so you can get a T3 SV for around $350 in Australia without having to import it yourself. I can't see how that reel could be considered a bass/barra reel only as it can easily cast sx-43 ecogear lures. There is a new Alphas coming out pretty soon. I love my T3 SV!!!

If you're buying from Japan, check out a Shimano Brenious. They are a saltwater friendly finesse bc and cost about $250 or so. I don't understand why people in Australia buy freshwater only reels given we are the driest continent and most of the fish live in salt.
Maybe some people only fish those reels in fresh water

Impoundments, lakes and rivers hold some pretty decent fish
Old 14-02-2015, 09:01 PM
Mature Bream

Wait it out, Daiwa bring out a new range of alphas and some other goodies, seeing that you know mention daiwa reels however Shimano got some new stuff as well that might tickle you fancy.
Old 14-02-2015, 09:03 PM
Blue Lip

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=60015

Like this
Old 14-02-2015, 09:31 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagz View Post
Maybe some people only fish those reels in fresh water

Impoundments, lakes and rivers hold some pretty decent fish

True that there are some great fish inland but the point that I was making is that given 90 odd% of the population lives along the coastline and therefore is more likely to encounter salt/brackish water than pure fresh water, it doesn't really make sense to buy freshwater only gear.
Old 14-02-2015, 09:37 PM
Blue Lip

Makes perfect sense to me
Old 14-02-2015, 10:02 PM
Poddy Bream

Haha yeah sorry I was pretty tired and out of it when I made the post. It will be for freshwater chasing mostly rat bass. It will be on a N.S hurricane 2-4kg rod which is a very light rod in comparison to other rods in it's range.

Il be wanting something that can cast down to 3 grams and lighter once I customize it. Basically I'm looking for the closest thing to an 04 pixy which I can cast 3 gram lures on relitively easily especially when on a hurricane.
Also don't mind waiting a while.
Old 14-02-2015, 10:51 PM
Blue Lip

It's not a Daiwa or Shimano but the Abu Garcia Revo LT is pretty good out of the box. I've got one that i use alongside my Zonda Hedgehog and it's really good for casting light lures. Upgarde the bearings and get the even shallower spool and you're set

http://translate.google.com.au/trans...ml&prev=search
Old 15-02-2015, 03:01 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris268 View Post
It's not a Daiwa or Shimano but the Abu Garcia Revo LT is pretty good out of the box. I've got one that i use alongside my Zonda Hedgehog and it's really good for casting light lures. Upgarde the bearings and get the even shallower spool and you're set

http://translate.google.com.au/trans...ml&prev=search
What line you using in the Abu LT???