Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 29-11-2009, 04:31 AM
Mature Bream

Self servicing reels

Hi all,

I'm sure this is probably posted elsewhere, but a quick search didn't get me far. I have usually kept up with my post fishing service with a quick rinse in fresh water and inox, every so often if it feels a little grindy I will open up the side plate and squirt some inox around, or if it is looking dry, some reel lube. However, over time and some big fish later, the reel will eventually get grindy and a lot less smooth. Last time I sent of my 1000FI Stradic for a service (11 months old), it came back with a $170 bill feeling a lot better, but not really like new still (they said there was evidence of saltwater in the reel meaning it wasn't under warrenty. I have to admit it was dunked once when the yak tipped...). 3 bearings, pinion gear and a couple other things were replaced. I've come back from Exmouth again recently and it is feeling a bit sick again (although I now have my Stradic CI4 to use), so rather than sending it off, is there a way to tell what parts are worn? I've no problem pulling a reel completely apart, but I can't tell by looking at them what the problem is. I also have a 2500FH Stradic that is horrible to use with bigger lures/baitcasting mulies - anything that puts a small strain on it, it seems to stick as I wind it stop/start. When I get home without any pressure on it, it feels great. Either Stradic I cannot justify sending off for a service when the cost will be almost $200 - nearly a new reel.

On the other hand, I have a new Certate 4000. I have been told you can upgrade parts (I was shown some drag parts etc on another thread as well), but can I order parts from another model (or aftermarket) such as the Hyper Custom to make it better? Again I'm not really sure what to do, but I'm confident of being able to pull it apart and put it back together correctly.

Proudly working for Compleat Angler and Camping World in Nedlands and sponsored by Compleat Angler Nedlands and Tairyo rods!
Old 29-11-2009, 06:23 AM
Big Bream

Ben....who you sending the reels to for your service??
and DONT USE INOX anymore. Next time use tackle guard or anything thats now INOX or WD40. They do temporarily job but do thin out greases that essential inside the gear box.

The Certate are not that hard to pull apart but I think the Certate 4000 is sufficient for what you use it for. Altho upgrading the parts is the cheaper than getting the Hyper but it all adds up. Ive upgraded mine coz mine is over 5 years old and I give it a full flogging everytime. Cost of upgrade plus the cost of the original reel adds up to the price of the new Hyper.

Next time you're over my joint (shop) drop the reels for me to have a look. Dont worry I wont charge much.....just your whole wallet!! lol
Old 29-11-2009, 06:29 AM
Mature Bream

Went through Bluewater where I bought the reel from (hoping the warrenty would hold).

With the Inox, I knew not to use WD40, but I'd always thought that Inox was suitable.

I'll drop by sometime, and you can have what's in my wallet no worries (all $0.05 atm until I'm paid :P)

I wasn't really planning on upgrading the Certate really at the moment either, just curious about it. I am going to do the machined handle and the knob, but want to know what other people do with their reels for the internals.

Proudly working for Compleat Angler and Camping World in Nedlands and sponsored by Compleat Angler Nedlands and Tairyo rods!
Old 29-11-2009, 07:34 AM
Mature Bream

I can confirm that the Certate is quite straightforward to service yourself. If you need an idea of how to get started here is a tutorial - http://www.fishing.net.my/FORUM/topi...TOPIC_ID=13013
Old 29-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Mature Bream

maybe try google alan tani and applied some of his good work on your reels especially the bearings part.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: