Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Leader

Leader What type, what weight, what length, etc.

Old 28-04-2015, 11:41 PM
Mature Bream

I have been using it lately and fortunate enough to try it out on a few large bazzas.

Very strong up very well on 40lb braid and 50lb leader. Only problem is that if I get a snag now I cannot break it off. I have to cut my braid now. Whereas with my usual Kaneit (field knot now) I can usually break it off.
Old 29-04-2015, 02:39 AM
Blue Lip

I've been tying it in leaders down to 3lb and its giving me the strongest connection by far and never had an unexplained failure.
If you're having trouble with breakages, I wonder if its the line.
I've been using Sunline Super and Duel Hardcore X8 braids and FC Rock leaders.
Old 29-04-2015, 05:20 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexton View Post
I run the double uni knot for all my bream fishing and always run locked up drags and never have a problem with the knot breaking...I get smoked before the knot fails...Though when fishing for bigger game when jigging and the like, the double uni does my head in as it catches on the guides all the time which requires smaller length leaders.
Looking forward to tying the FG in bigger line classes, but think I'll just stick with the double uni when it comes to bream fishing.

Great thread fellas!
Yeah If I hadnt used it on big stuff first - I wouldnt have used it on the little stuff.

Its very very rare for me to have a uni to uni fail while fighting a fish as well. I mainly notice the FG's Strength when I'm snagged.
Old 29-04-2015, 07:32 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
I've been tying it in leaders down to 3lb and its giving me the strongest connection by far and never had an unexplained failure.
If you're having trouble with breakages, I wonder if its the line.
I've been using Sunline Super and Duel Hardcore X8 braids and FC Rock leaders.
Not sure mate but I can't seem to tie it hey, it seems as if the braid is cutting into the leader and snapping it. It's not snapping when I'm out fishing, it's when I go to tighten the knot up.

5lb and up is fine, it's just the 3 and 4lb. Might just stick to the Albright for now.

Pure Fishing

Follow my team page:

www.facebook.com/toddrichesfishing
Old 29-04-2015, 08:07 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthedrop86 View Post
Not sure mate but I can't seem to tie it hey, it seems as if the braid is cutting into the leader and snapping it. It's not snapping when I'm out fishing, it's when I go to tighten the knot up.

5lb and up is fine, it's just the 3 and 4lb. Might just stick to the Albright for now.
When you wrap the braid and leader try not to let the braid roll up and down the leader as this creates a weak point right where the braid and leader meet.

It's more of an issue when you are starting the knot, I try not to pull to tight on the knot when wrapping until there are quite a few wraps done then you an go a bit tighter on the wraps.

I get breaking strain as advertised when tested on all leaders.
Old 29-04-2015, 06:51 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Its very very rare for me to have a uni to uni fail while fighting a fish as well. I mainly notice the FG's Strength when I'm snagged.
Absolutely correct! I cant comment on leader under 4lb. I have used it on 4lb and up and its better than any knot I used previous.
You do lament when snagged up with 40lb leader in your yak with an FG.
Old 29-04-2015, 08:24 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickStick View Post
Hmm yeah I've heard of that being done. I might have to get some, for when I want to be super sure of my knot. What would people here consider the best loop knot for tying lures on?
The Lefty's Loop knot would have to be up there , just look on youtube. Zap-a-Gap is available through Tie N Fly Outfitters , Buddina , Sunshine Coast or Flyworld in Perth . Another thing you could try is Loon UV Knotsense that fixes in sunlight or a UV torch. Zap a would keep the knot slimmer though. Cheers Pat.
Old 30-04-2015, 01:55 AM
Blue Lip

According to that japanese (Duel) video, you need to use a lighter to create a little mushroom head for the braid to lock in to. I would that thought that would have been a weak point. Is the concept of this knot for the braid to dig in to the leader the tighter you pull on it and the mushroom head is only added security?
Old 30-04-2015, 02:29 AM
Blue Lip

I never use the lighter any more because of collateral damage to leader etc it really isn't needed because if you find the knot slipping up the leader all you have to do is pull the tag end out at right angles and pull the wraps up against that until it bites in.
cheers nereus
Surface 39cm and work in progress
H/B mully 83cm and not so bitter
S/P mully 85cm on 4lb FC
Old 30-04-2015, 02:55 AM
Big Bream

Hey guys,

Been trying all morning and finally got the hang of the FG knot in 2, 3 and 4lb leaders. It seems it is a lot easier to tie on fused braids such as Fireline exceed, compared to PE Braids or Nanofil. Did anyone else notice the same?

Pure Fishing

Follow my team page:

www.facebook.com/toddrichesfishing
Old 30-04-2015, 04:56 AM
Poddy Bream

this is the only knot i use now and i love it, i bought the daichii 2.0 tool for tying the fg and god damn its so much easier not having to hang onto 4 different ends with all you appendages , all my breakages now occur above the knot on the braid or i straighten hooks or they bust off.
Old 30-04-2015, 05:30 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthedrop86 View Post
Hey guys,

Been trying all morning and finally got the hang of the FG knot in 2, 3 and 4lb leaders. It seems it is a lot easier to tie on fused braids such as Fireline exceed, compared to PE Braids or Nanofil. Did anyone else notice the same?
I did the same just practiced the knot for a few hours, tied it with different tensions and tested the strength on the Bouz drag checker until I was happy.

Try again over the next week and it will be easy after that.
Old 30-04-2015, 05:31 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUNQX View Post
According to that japanese (Duel) video, you need to use a lighter to create a little mushroom head for the braid to lock in to. I would that thought that would have been a weak point. Is the concept of this knot for the braid to dig in to the leader the tighter you pull on it and the mushroom head is only added security?
They tend to do this only on heavier leaders.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:39 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUNQX View Post
You only need to burn the fluro end if your knot tying isn't up to scratch, the whole point of the fg is a strong slimline knot so burning a lump onto the flouro will only serve to catch on the guides defeating the purpose of tying a slim knot and increasing chances of knot failure with repeated catching on guides which makes it a weak point as you rightly suggested.

your right about the concept, the braid grips the leader for 2/3 the lenght of the knot.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:39 AM
Blue Lip

I just had a crack at tying my first FG knot and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.
Tied it up in PE 3 and 60lb leader for a jigging session tomorrow, hopefully I have no dramas with the knot, though when I tested the knot, I couldn't break it with my hands.
How many half hitches are you all doing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (502.1 KB, 0 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: