Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 07:36 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7 View Post
I have been using Edge rods for a year now, and honestly wouldn't go back to any other rod. The sensitivity, lightweight and performance of them is far superior to any other bream style rod I have ever used. I have sold off my premium branded Japanese rods to finance more Edge Rods!

A massive thumbs up to the guys at Fishtec for proactive development of the rods to suit Australian anglers and conditions. Well done! Now, the only issue I have is deciding which model is next in the kit.....
What aspect of the rods did they develop mate?
Old 02-01-2015, 07:40 PM
Mature Bream

I just got my third. An ISR 706.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:46 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by manno View Post
What aspect of the rods did they develop mate?
There would have been quite a lot I reckon manno.

Deciding on lengths, ceramic guides as oppose to recoils, and they have a choice of 3 moduli of blanks.

Sometimes, it's more than just choosing a shorter blank, depending on the desired taper cutting down a blank maybe a better option.

More than meets the eye.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:51 PM
Mature Bream

Hey manno, maybe a better choice of words I could have used would be alteration, Instead of development. Pretty sure the guys altered the existing models via the guides and grip setups, I guess the best people to share all this info is Fishtec. My comment was aimed towards a general thanks and well done, rather than acknowledgement of a redesign or similar. Apologies for any confusion.

Also, I totally agree with earlier comments about cork grips vs the carbon grips as I have used both variations. The carbon grips are astounding in comparison. Also, like others, I have had no issues at all with the recoil guides on Edge rods. However, I have used rods in the past with the silver colour recoils that did cause issues. I now only tie FG knots for leaders, I think that also helps as there is no leader tag to catch while casting.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:12 PM
Big Bream

Are they moving to the chromium plated SS guides as used in some of the EFX rods last year? It's always good to see something different.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:15 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCYL View Post
There would have been quite a lot I reckon manno.

Deciding on lengths, ceramic guides as oppose to recoils, and they have a choice of 3 moduli of blanks.

Sometimes, it's more than just choosing a shorter blank, depending on the desired taper cutting down a blank maybe a better option.

More than meets the eye.
Ah ok. Perhaps just the few i were looking at shared identical blank specs/length to the usa edge and nfc origin...
Old 03-02-2015, 01:41 AM
Fingerling

edge rods

Where can i handle these rods in sydney ? i see mo tackle has them OMG but cant find any 1 else , tks in anticipation.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:40 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver surfer View Post
Where can i handle these rods in sydney ? i see mo tackle has them OMG but cant find any 1 else , tks in anticipation.
Fishin.com.au

I am sure Adam has them, where he is in Sydney I am not sure.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:01 AM
Mature Bream

Adam from Fishin.com.au is in Miranda NSW
Old 04-02-2015, 02:55 AM
Big Bream

What guides types are the AU Spec EFX (First Strike) outfitted with?

In their kickstarter program they used a variety of guides but the US production rods fielded the TFO steel only guides ala bay pac minima

I was keen on seeing the new TFO guides but mine was equipped with fuji like guides instead.

It's cool to see all options explored.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:02 AM
Big Bream

Those on the left looks completely one piece and could never have a cracked ring, should be ultra tough.

Then there is the new steel and chrome insert. (Left)

Exciting stuff!

Last edited by Martin Lo; 04-02-2015 at 03:04 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:23 PM
Big Bream

Smile

Manno

The first samples of EDGE Rods that we got in had a very different build type to what we have now. You don't need to make massive changes to a rod to improve its balance , fishability and ultimately improve performance.
We changed the grip configuration , guide type - and also guide placing on certain models. The goal was to make an already exceptional rod slightly better for the way Australians fish. BRAID being the main contributing factor. If you speak to other anglers that have been fortunate enough to fish in other fisheries around the world then you will understand that we in Aussie do it a lot different to other countries. Hence a rod that is built for use with braid and only braid (no leader knot involved ) will perform different when you add a leader. I had previously been sponsored by Loomis for 5 years and simply implemented the changes that we wanted to make to the rods then. We tested the changes we made to the EDGE Rods and were happy that they were improvements for the way we fish. EDGE acknowledged this by giving us our own range -Hence the Southern Cross series.
YES Manno you may read the specs as the same but I can guarantee that the final product you hold in your hand will be different. When you do actually go through the process from start to finish and hold the first rod in your hands next to the final build- the changes become apparent.

Martin

We chose Fuji guides for the First Strike rods. We tested the TFO tactical series guides here and we were more happy with the way the Fuji guides performed on the lighter lines that bream and bass fisherman favour. The First Strike rods are currently doing the rounds and being tested by both store owners and fisherman. So far they have past their testing with flying colours as did the Black Widow Southern Cross series. Once we are happy that they are right for the way us Aussies fish then they will be finding their way into stores. Some may be sceptical and think we may have ulterior motives for the changes to componentry that we make and you are welcome to do that , but I want to fish with a rod that performs to its potential and validate what it is worth, not fish with a rod that doesn't because it has componentry on it that inhibits its performance.

When you fish with one you will understand.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:46 PM
Big Bream

Thanks for the info. You've certainly spurned the interest of Edges home market.
Our curiousity is in regards to the TFO guides.

You stated that you tested TFOs guides here and we're happy with Fujis. What were the negative of TFOs SS guides culminating in the decision to run with Fujis? How did it inhibit performance?

In the US the usage of braid and leader is more commonly used than most here would think. In fact it's fair to say the Americans were the first to create, adapt and utilise this setup, even before the first spool of braid ever reached Australian soil.

Braid & only braid in a typical bass setup is used in only a minority of setups, usually in heavily vegetated areas. A full fluoro setup is much more common.

But I digress,

What did you guys found detrimental about TFO guides whilst using a braid + leader line system?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:34 AM
Fingerling

tks

ok been to see Adam in miranda tks for the info , he has edge rods with recoil guides . Are these the southern cross range ? they are realy nice in the hand , i have a AGS pursuit and they feel even lighter than that will be parting with $$ very soon . Thanks again for the info .
Old 11-02-2015, 05:21 AM
Big Bream

Martin

Yes mate i am well aware of the 'american' black bass techniques. I used them 25 years ago in South Africa fishing in the South Africa Tour... Nowhere near the numbers and scale but the same format and techniques. Braid straight through, or mono . Flourocarbon had only just started to make an appearance. 😉
The TFO guides did the job admirably but we found that they did not dissapate heat fast enough when using light florocarbon straight through or alternatively very light braids. Continuous use affected the integrity of the line and ultimately its longevity. Great guides on the bigger models and heavier lines , but on the lighter rods we couldnt find the same confidence.. Hence the decision to standardise the guides on the entire first strike range.
A fast running queenfish or spotted mackerel on light braid would have the potential to heat the braid too much and pe braids dont lile that type of treatment. Wether or not this would be the case on a consistent basis I dont kmow and cant say for sure , but instead decided to go witj a guide that has the runs on the board and has proved itself in situations like this that may arrise. As with the Black Widows we want the First Strikes to perform faultlessly as a rod in our Australian Fisheries- and believe me the best rod testers are Australian fisho's!! We put our gear through some full on scenarios on a daily basis !!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: