Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Leader

Leader What type, what weight, what length, etc.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Blue Lip

Busting off lures

Ok ..... Recently I've been getting onto a few bigger/stronger fish and experiencing bust offs at the lure. The bust offs are occurring when the fish is pulling hard and I'm assuming it's not abrading me against structure. If I had to guess I'd say the knot is cutting through the leader as I get back a relatively clean, straight broken end. I fish 4lb fc leader and tie to a decoy clip using a uni knot. I want to put an end to the theft of my lures ! Can I have some wisdom from the more experienced on how best to go about improving this. My current thoughts are:

1. Lose the clips and start tying loop knots direct to the tow point.
2. Keep the clip but ditch the uni-knot and start using the fish-n-fool
3. Up leader strength to 6lb.
4. Fish lighter drag

What steps do you take if you're experiencing premature lure loss?

Thanks

Edit: I do 6 to 7 turns on my uni knots and plenty of saliva

Last edited by Sloth; 15-01-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 15-01-2015, 04:19 PM
Blue Lip

I would up leader to 6-8lb in the situation described less wraps on the fluro side of the uni knot may help it's strength too.
Old 15-01-2015, 05:21 PM
Big Bream

I reckon 4 turns is heaps. Don't want too much friction in the uni before it pulls tight or it can heat up the line before it comes down hard.

I'd be doing some testing at home with a set of scales. Try out what you're doing and see what it breaks at, then make some changes as you listed and see what that breaks at. If you did ten runs of each method and took the average, that'd give you a good idea whats going on.
Old 15-01-2015, 05:28 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonosy View Post
Don't want too much friction in the uni before it pulls tight or it can heat up the line before it comes down hard.
That has been my experience when this happens. I haven't been taking enough care when tying the know and getting some friction when tightening the knot.

The scenario you are talking is finesse but you should be landing the fish you are talking about.
Old 15-01-2015, 05:43 PM
Blue Lip

Hmmm.... everyones talking a uni-knot to the lure clip I assume (not a leader-mainline knot).

If so .... interesting. Four wraps seems so .... I dunno ... small ? haha. I thought 7 wraps made a freaky small knot !

I'm considering changing a few things. It's firing after dark at the moment so I reckon I can easily go up 2lb in breaking strain. I'm going to change over to a fish-n-fool (basically an improved uni knot) and I'll reduce to 4 wraps, based on comments above.

I'm consoling myself that good fish will come again ... but you're on the money bloodworm... should have landed that one. Nothing to bust me on. I just overloaded the system. Kind of annoying
Old 15-01-2015, 06:24 PM
Blue Lip

Have you thought about a loop knot to the clip? I use this approach and it works for me. Regards, HBt.
Old 15-01-2015, 06:26 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
should have landed that one. Nothing to bust me on. I just overloaded the system. Kind of annoying
Feels 100 times worse when it happens in a VicBream round.
Just a small lapse in concentration and 'POP' she is all over red rover
Old 15-01-2015, 06:29 PM
Blue Lip

In general I don't believe the loop knots are as strong as a uni or locked blood.
If using 4 or 6 lb the leader isn't really thick enough to impede on the lures action, above this leader weight, I will use a clip rather than a loop knot.
I run a 6turn locked blood, only coz its easier for me than the uni. Both are equally strong but there less friction with the blood on the tightening of the knot.

Some of your recent losses sounded like tailor to me, and there not much you can do there.
Old 15-01-2015, 06:38 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscateur View Post
In general I don't believe the loop knots are as strong as a uni or locked blood.
If using 4 or 6 lb the leader isn't really thick enough to impede on the lures action, above this leader weight, I will use a clip rather than a loop knot.
I run a 6turn locked blood, only coz its easier for me than the uni. Both are equally strong but there less friction with the blood on the tightening of the knot.

Some of your recent losses sounded like tailor to me, and there not much you can do there.

Yes that is what I was thinking...Tailor...
Old 15-01-2015, 07:03 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscateur View Post
Those pontoon 21 clips or even Daiwa's Figure 8 clips would be my choice now. Loop knots are up against some abrasion even under the water, even by microscopic suspended elements in the water...

Has anyone actually looked at their tow points on their lures? Some of mine have a flat spot where the wire is rolled over and there is a flat spot underneath - which is in complete contact with the leader.

Thats what I find wears my leader on some lures. The worst being Halco Scorpions and Lazers - the ones with the flat punched tow points.

When you say plenty of saliva... How much exactly...
Old 15-01-2015, 07:06 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOMBOOM4216 View Post
Enough and tighten the knot slow enough so there is no heat generated. Feel the knot after tightening it you should feel no heat/warmth. Then test the knot.

I just put the knot through my mouth, nothing over the top.
Old 15-01-2015, 07:07 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Have a look at this

http://breammaster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59492
Old 15-01-2015, 07:07 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOMBOOM4216 View Post
The whole knot and leader to the tow point goes in my mouth. Given the comments my wife makes about how much drool I leave on the pillows I'd say the average quantity is .... Lots.

Given where I fish it also explains why I don't like retying lures
Old 15-01-2015, 07:13 PM
Blue Lip

Yeah the instant losses were likely tailor. The nongster I hooked last night was most definitely on - was mine to lose
Old 15-01-2015, 07:17 PM
Mature Bream

I always use a uni knot to the clip with no problems, do 6 turns with 4 or 6lb fluro with no issues. I have found that the thicker the line the less turns that are needed and obviously the larger the lines diameter the harder it is to do more turns for a smooth knot as well, iam talking 50 to 100lb leader there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: