Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:45 AM
Poddy Bream

What is the priority in lure fishing?

Hi,

Just wanted to ask, when heading out to fish for bream on lures, or any fish for that matter. What is the first thing that you guys look at? Is it time of day (sunrise, afternoon or sunset), or is it tide?

I ask because sometimes an opportunity to fish arises but the conditions may not be ideal, like having a rising tide in the middle of the arvo for example.

Ideally, the sunrise/sunset and rising tide would be perfect for me, but is there a priority of one over the other?

Hope that question makes sense!

Thanks
Old 08-08-2015, 04:20 AM
Mature Bream

The Mrs diary.
If the Mrs and kids haven't got anything in the diary, that's my que to make a dash to the lake with the kayak or boat dependant on length of the leave pass. I don't worry to much about what the weather, tide, time of day or what Punxsutawney Phil says.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:14 AM
Blue Lip

You can catch bream all tide stages and all times of day and night as long as you're putting your lure where the fish are and keeping it in the strike zone. I'll vary where I go to catch them based on time of day and tide stage but I go out when the opportunity presents irrespective of conditions
Old 08-08-2015, 08:45 AM
Poddy Bream

As a rule of thumb i always suss out the surface first before developing the plan for the rest of the day. If its early enough and their taking topwater i wont deviate until the action dictates a change in tactics (firstly moving to an edge bite, then dropoffs, then deep water).

The angle has more to do with presentation than most people give it credit for, most of the time when i get an opportunity to fish tide changes unfortunately (however important) they play a secondary role.

Visit us online @: Import Tackle - Email: sales@importtackle.com - ABN: 758 208 595 29
Our social media @: Import Tackle Facebook, Import Tackle on Twitter and on You Tube.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Poddy Bream

Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 13-08-2015, 12:27 AM
Blue Lip

As above look for drop offs and structure etc. Tides are a factor but if you are tossing your lure into some good looking structure you have more chance of hooking a breambo regardless of the tide/sun/moon.
Old 13-08-2015, 01:10 AM
Blue Lip

No matter the tide, wind, hail, the moon - there is always someone who brings a 5kg bag to a weigh in

That's what keeps me going

Monster Miki Addict
Old 13-08-2015, 04:08 AM
Mature Bream

My priority for any style of fishing is dawn. The fish are generally active, I'm too eager to stay in bed, I get a couple of hours when the family don't miss me, the tourist fishos are sleeping...There may be other times that produce more fish (not many) but you should never measure the success of a fishing trip by the number of fish you catch.
Old 13-08-2015, 04:38 AM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol View Post
My priority for any style of fishing is dawn. The fish are generally active, I'm too eager to stay in bed, I get a couple of hours when the family don't miss me, the tourist fishos are sleeping...There may be other times that produce more fish (not many) but you should never measure the success of a fishing trip by the number of fish you catch.
Pistol those are the exact reasons I always try to get out early. I will fish to the conditions that are presented to me at the time regardless of tide.
Old 18-01-2016, 12:33 AM
Poddy Bream

Alex is spot on! Just get out when you can mate, you will probably be surprised at the conditions when you catch the big boys
Old 18-01-2016, 12:56 AM
Blue Lip

The first thing you should consider is how pretty your tackle is, the rest is negligible
Old 19-01-2016, 11:27 PM
Mature Bream

i,d say tide over time of day, rising tide gives fish access to areas to feed flats,oyster racks,mangroves they can only get there twice a day,run out same amount of fish less water deep holes,drop offs,current breaks.
Old 20-01-2016, 08:20 PM
Big Bream

Tide for me. Love a good high tide. Flats, surface, leases.... That's when all the good stuff happens.
Old 31-01-2016, 05:30 AM
Poddy Bream

I have heard a few things but in regards to tide if it is high the bream will be feeding on the flats eating all the food that wasn't underwater before and when low tide they will be out on the dropoff like flathead, they want to ambush the predator.
Also I have an almanac and it gives a rating out of 10 for the day and the major and minor bite times. This is really helpful and is hardly ever wrong! However dawn and dusk are the best times for fishing no matter what.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:18 PM
Fingerling

Can you please elaborate a bit with the parts in red? Newbie here, just trying to figure it all out... thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Import Tackle View Post
As a rule of thumb i always suss out the surface first before developing the plan for the rest of the day. If its early enough and their taking topwater i wont deviate until the action dictates a change in tactics (firstly moving to an edge bite, then dropoffs, then deep water).

The angle has more to do with presentation than most people give it credit for, most of the time when i get an opportunity to fish tide changes unfortunately (however important) they play a secondary role.