Go Back   Bream Master Forums > FishPhart > Cameras and Accessories

Cameras and Accessories What Camera to Buy be it Big or Small and What to Get With it.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Mature Bream

Canon Lens Options

Hi All,
Just after some advice on another lens for my Canon 600D for fishing shots. Currently been using the hell out of my 50mm f1.8 and been loving it, managed to get some cracking shots lately! But sometimes the fixed focal length can be a bit of a pain, so on the hunt for another lens that will give me more options.

Just wondering what lenses other people are using when out on the water or recommendations I should look at? Aiming for your general style fishing article shots.

Cheers Sam.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:57 PM
Mature Bream

To stay at a good budget and still get some nice shots I'd look at anything in the 17-55mm range with a 2.8 aperture and look at both the Sigma and Tokina brands. Considering the 600D is a 1.6x crop, you'll really appreciate the wider end of the lens (17-30mm) as a 50mm on a 1.6 crop is actually quite a long focal length, especially if you're in a boat.

There will be F4 options that will be significantly cheaper, but you'll really appreciate 2.8 when trying to really make the fish pop out of the background.

Feel free to ask any questions, I haven't shot for a year or so but had a pretty impressive canon arsenal before
Old 07-07-2014, 06:28 PM
Blue Lip

Hey Sam,

Really depends on what your budget is. There are quite a few options:

10-22 which is very wide - depends on the type of photo you're going for
17-40 F4
24-70 2.8 (have had the series I and now have the series II of this lens and can highly recommend it, but $$ - mine is on a 6D)
24-105 f4

Have found this site quite handy in the past to look and compare different lenses and look at sample images etc.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/C...pose-Lens.aspx

Cheers,
Paul

Follow my fishing travels on Facebook
Old 07-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Dreams View Post
Hi All,
Just after some advice on another lens for my Canon 600D for fishing shots. Currently been using the hell out of my 50mm f1.8 and been loving it, managed to get some cracking shots lately! But sometimes the fixed focal length can be a bit of a pain, so on the hunt for another lens that will give me more options.

Just wondering what lenses other people are using when out on the water or recommendations I should look at? Aiming for your general style fishing article shots.

Cheers Sam.
I have a Canon 500d and went for the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 HSM OS Macro.
Its a fair bit bigger and heavier than the 50 or even the standard 18-55.

But its got a bit more range and much better low light abilities and its better for close ups as well. And it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
My one has been recently been superseded by an upgraded lens I've just learnt. The new one is lighter and smaller apparently but still gets some decent reviews.
Have a look a dpreview.com

A tip I got a while back - if you search in Flicka for a lens model it will bring up photos taken with that lens. Gives you a way to research the top end of what it can do. I'm guessing people don't upload their bad photos.

Crusty
Old 07-07-2014, 09:05 PM
Blue Lip

I have the same camera and started with the 1.8 50mm. the next lens I bought was the tamron 18-270mm.

It's not a cheap lens compared to the 50mm but it is by far the lens I take when I only want one lens. I will see if I can find some pics taken with it for you.
If they're on, I'll be late, if it's quiet, I'll be late."
Old 07-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breamingwithjoy View Post
I have the same camera and started with the 1.8 50mm. the next lens I bought was the tamron 18-270mm.

It's not a cheap lens compared to the 50mm but it is by far the lens I take when I only want one lens. I will see if I can find some pics taken with it for you.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet Dreams View Post
Hi All,

Cheers Sam.
Best pick would be Canon 17-55mm f2.8 if your budget can stretch that far. If not, go with 3rd party such as sigma, tokina or tamron. Any of the 'L' lenses will break your bank (except the 17-40mm f4L and 24-105 f4L)

Also check out the 28mm F1.8. I've had this lens before and quite enjoyed it. 50mm on 600D is too narrow and i think 28mm will give you better coverage while maintaining shallow depth of field.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:38 PM
Mature Bream

One thing that would really help decide what be best is your budget. The 28-70 is a fantastic lens but it is getting near the $2k mark for a body worth a few hundred these days. If you like shooting with primes (like your 50mm) have a look at the sigma primes. The 35 would be a great option as well as the 24 for something a little wider. If you're focused on something which is adaptable the 24-105 is a great workhorse but just doesn't have the same speed as other lenses in the same focal length.

I almost shoot exclusively with prime lenses (bentvisuals.com) and would feel a little odd shooting with anything else.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:47 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangc View Post
Best pick would be Canon 17-55mm f2.8 if your budget can stretch that far. If not, go with 3rd party such as sigma, tokina or tamron. Any of the 'L' lenses will break your bank (except the 17-40mm f4L and 24-105 f4L)

Also check out the 28mm F1.8. I've had this lens before and quite enjoyed it. 50mm on 600D is too narrow and i think 28mm will give you better coverage while maintaining shallow depth of field.
I have that 28mm lens and it is a cracker. But it really doesn't allow you to the flexibility of zoom.

I find if I am actually going out to take photos I use rime lenses but if I am going out to do something else and want to take pics of that, I usually end up with the tamron on.

If you want a fun lens have a look at the Samyang fish eye lenses... they are cool.

Last edited by Breamingwithjoy; 07-07-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:12 PM
Fingerling

Hey Wetdreams,

I have the same camera. As some of the guys have said, being 1.6 crop camera the nifty fifty doesn't give you a lot of room to move. A really is a top lens for portrait and street photography in low light.

I'm currently running the 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM which is designed for the Canon DSLR range. I have found that it really reduces flaring and ghosting and any colour aberration compared to some other lenses. It really is a top lens for that lower glass market. $400.
Here are a few recent pics using the lens with a 60D and also don’t discount using the standard 18-55ml

IMG_4147.jpg
Early morning with a low apeture and fill flash. (Fishant)
IMG_4100.jpg
Portrait setting set to vivid . (One of the boys from SBS Mallacoota)
flatty.jpg
The 18-55ml. (Fishant taking snaps of me)

Happy lens shopping budd
Old 07-07-2014, 11:35 PM
Poddy Bream

I've got the Canon 17-55mm f2.8 mounted on a 40D.... it's renowned as one of the best 'all-rounder' lens for the Canon crop DSLRs... (Google it!)... it retails around $900ish

I've also got a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, had it for years and its pretty good as well (not as good as the Canon above, but hey it's half the price!)
Old 08-07-2014, 02:31 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluey View Post
One thing that would really help decide what be best is your budget. The 28-70 is a fantastic lens but it is getting near the $2k mark for a body worth a few hundred these days. If you like shooting with primes (like your 50mm) have a look at the sigma primes. The 35 would be a great option as well as the 24 for something a little wider. If you're focused on something which is adaptable the 24-105 is a great workhorse but just doesn't have the same speed as other lenses in the same focal length.

I almost shoot exclusively with prime lenses (bentvisuals.com) and would feel a little odd shooting with anything else.
Amazing portfolio mate. I also found myself shooting prime lenses only these days. Sold all my zooms and kept a 50 and 35mm. 35mm is stuck on my 5DII for couple of years now. My favourite focal length by far..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fangcho/sets (sorry, not fishing related)
Old 08-07-2014, 03:10 AM
Mature Bream

Epic flickr feed there fang and also really nice portfolio gluey!

I used to shoot fashion and trust me when I say OP you should set yourself a budget and try and stick by it. When I stopped shooting I was shooting a 1D MarkIV and Zeiss 85 1.4.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:02 AM
Mature Bream

Cheers for all the information and help from everyone, greatly appreciated! Certainly a wealth of knowledge on here. Time to go check out a few lenses now, just deciding wether to stick to another prime lens again or go for some slight zoom. Decisions decisions
Cheers Sam.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:04 PM
Dead Set Legend

As many have said the 17-55 is a cracker lens on crop frame Canons, but will be substantially heavier than your 50. Will give you a lot more at the wider end and a little more reach at the skinny end, fantastic image quality and the 2.8 is constant through the zoom range.

Make sure you look at the link in Ruski's post

You could get lucky with this auction

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Canon-EF-...item233cffe4f7

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: