Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Old 22-05-2003, 07:33 PM
Big Bream

Winter bream behaviour

Just wondering whether other people are noticing any difference in bream behavior and are using different tactics with the water getting cooler eg targeting deeper water, focusing downstream, using lighter leaders and slower presentations.

I haven't noticed much of a difference yet, I'm still catching roughly the same numbers in the same locations with the same tactics as earlier in the year. The fish are fatter for breeding though. BTW I'm in Sydney, and I don't think the water has cooled too much here yet.
Old 23-05-2003, 06:07 AM
Mature Bream

I'm not speaking from experience, as this will be my first winter season of breamin on flies n lures, but I've heard quite a few times that bream generally heap upstream in winter. You just have to go looking for them.

I'm up on the central coast, and while the water temp hasn't dropped THAT much, it's getting a bit chillier, wading in the mornings!
Old 25-05-2003, 06:28 PM
Big Bream

I had a bit of a wade to retrieve a lure, and the water was a little chillier than I thought. The rain probably has cooled things down too. The fish were still in the same spots, but they're so fat!
Old 25-05-2003, 07:31 PM
Fingerling

Thumbs down

I am in Sydney, I fished Hawkesbury on Sat arfo before the down poor, I got drenched , with all the rain the water has drop, it was reading 16 degrees on my sounder and while I got some nice big bream I found I was using alot more pausing than normal on my retreive, even letting the SP sit on the bottom for some time ,then I got some nice hits , also got some good size EP's which was a first for me on SP.

I fished Roseville on Sunday in the rain, water temp was a low 14 degrees but the Bream were on, biggest coming in a 40cm, same technique very slow twitches and allot of pausing.

JasonB
Old 25-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Big Bream

Jason,
good stuff with the EP. I read the rain turns them on, so maybe they'll be on the cards for a while. I haven't fished up Roseville way yet, but I'm landbased. Do you still reckon it's work a go without a boat?
Old 25-05-2003, 08:19 PM
Fingerling

Panger,
thanks, I reckon you would do o.k from land as there is a track following the river all the way up to the end and that is the side I seem to get the better fish from.

JasonB
Old 26-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Big Bream

Jason,
thanks for that. I've got another spot to try now. So many spots, so little time.
Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Poddy Bream

I started breamin' last summer so I'm interested too!

I'v heard they go 'out to sea' to breed in the winter months..??
Old 30-05-2003, 02:50 AM
Big Bream

all depends if you are talking about the yellow fin bream or the southern black bream.... they are different and have different breeding behaviours.
Old 30-05-2003, 03:06 AM
Poddy Bream

I fish in Sydney and also the NSW far north coast. Both have yellow fin bream however Ive heard of black bream being caught in Sydney.
Old 31-05-2003, 07:52 PM
Poddy Bream

Would they be upstream or downstream in winter?
Old 01-06-2003, 06:25 PM
Big Bream

The yellowfin breed downstream and the southern black breed upstream.

BTW following my earlier posts, I am now thinking the bream are doing something different (in Sydney anyway). I found it really hard going this weekend. It was so slow I even experimented with 2lb fluoro straight to the jig. Managed a fish on that and lost another.
Old 01-06-2003, 07:22 PM
Poddy Bream

Have been talking to a few spearo's around port stephens - they are talking about huge schools of fish (bream) out the front and around fingal island but things are a bit quiet inside.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:59 AM
Fingerling

From what I know, in Sydney, that allot move out to see in the cooler months but you will still get big bream which stay around up in the estuary's, it is thou the miss the boat or that life for them is good where they are.?
I fish the Hawkesbury on Sunday and for 5 hrs of fishing caught 6 bream and 1 flattie, I had a newbie to sp's on the boat and the first 3 hrs were very quiet then he caught his first bream on sp and is totally hooked , next cast he bags a nice flathead not bad
for his first time, the biggest bream was 40cm which was good to see.

JasonB
Old 04-06-2003, 12:32 PM

Bream spawning behaviour

Maybe some of this info will help out.

Quote:
Black bream are usually restricted to estuarine habitats and only leave them during periods of flooding (Ref. 6390). They can withstand a wide range of salinities and sometimes move into freshwater reaches of rivers (Ref. 28468). Black bream are also demersal and tend to inhabit areas where rocky river beds, snags or structures such as jetties provide cover (Ref. 28468), although they are caught in deeper open waters over sand or mud substrates in the Gippsland Lakes (Ref. 28469). Black bream larvae and small juveniles are most abundant over seagrass beds in shallow estuarine waters (Ref. 28468, 28472).
Interestingly, Black bream do occasionally leave an estuary system and travel along the coast entering other estuarine systems. This kind of makes a mockery of Fisheries WA's idea that translocation of discrete populations of Black bream shouldn't occur of one subspecies from a specific estarine system to another.

Case in point Blackwood River (Hardy Inlet/Estuary) where the Federal restocking program is taking place utilising bream captured from that system as the brood stocks.

Whilst this is admirable - is it a case of being a little overszealous considering the costs and logistics involved, when the fish may in fact travel between sytems themselves anyway??.

These tagging & recapture results from Victoria, clearly show that bream do move naturally between estarine ststems.

Quote:
Tag Details Recapture Details
Tag A 62666
Species Black Bream (Acanthopagrus butcheri)
Date 05/04/02 08/11/03
Total Length 250 mm 262 mm
Location Thompsons Ck Anglesea River
Fisher Jeff Welsh Matt Dehaan
Days Out 217 days
Growth 16 mm (0.07mm/day)
Movement 22 Km South West
Released Yes

Tag A 47645
Species Black Bream (Acanthopagrus butcheri)
Date 14/04/00 13/09/02
Total Length 230 mm 290 mm
Location Painkalac Creek Anglesea River
Fisher Jeff Welsh Peter Wojdylo
Days Out 882 days
Growth 60 mm (0.068mm/day)
Movement 12 km North East
Released No

***These two recaptures highlight the movement of Bream between estuaries along the West Coast of Victoria.
Source Victag news 16.1 2003.

All food for thought eh?

Cheers!