Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21-06-2017, 03:30 AM
DrLuvski's Avatar
DrLuvski DrLuvski is offline
Mature Bream
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 331
Would you be concerned with this?

I just had a new rod delivered. It seems to have taken a bash and has a mark on it. Its a 2 piece and this is on the bottom (grip piece). Just wondered if you reckon its something to be concerned with? I put it under a bit of pressure and nothing happened (it didn't snap) so hoping it is just superficial.

I can take it back but its the last rod available.

P1060433 - Copy.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21-06-2017, 03:58 AM
sevric's Avatar
sevric sevric is offline
Mature Bream
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Port Macquarie
Posts: 136
I guess it depends on how much the rod costs how hard it is to return / replace and what line class it is. If it was less than $200 and a 1-3KG stick i probably would not worry however if it is a more expensive rod and in the +10kg bracket i would worry a little.
At the very least i would be contacting the seller and notifiying them of the issue and asking their direction. The damage looks superficial on the photo but there would always be a bit of a worry in the back of your mind.
__________________
Regards to all Dick

Last edited by sevric; 21-06-2017 at 04:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 21-06-2017, 04:03 AM
DrLuvski's Avatar
DrLuvski DrLuvski is offline
Mature Bream
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 331
Yeah, bit of a mixture. Over $300 and a 1-3kg rod. I'm hoping it is superficial. Hopefully the shop can warranty it if it ever breaks there.

Last edited by DrLuvski; 21-06-2017 at 04:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21-06-2017, 05:08 AM
sevric's Avatar
sevric sevric is offline
Mature Bream
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Port Macquarie
Posts: 136
Was the rod the last of the line so to speak? As long as the seller is reputable and hopefully local to you there should not be to many problems with an altenate or a refund. It is always difficult to part with a rod that you like or that your head tells you is the right one for you and the task you have for it.
__________________
Regards to all Dick
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 21-06-2017, 06:18 AM
DrLuvski's Avatar
DrLuvski DrLuvski is offline
Mature Bream
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 331
Yep, the last rod available that I could find anywhere. My head would return it but my heart wants/needs to keep it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21-06-2017, 08:25 AM
Slazmo's Avatar
Slazmo Slazmo is offline
Blue Lip
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Gold Coast
Posts: 1,457
Run a sleeve inside of it.
__________________
Find me in the real world...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 21-06-2017, 05:10 PM
sevric's Avatar
sevric sevric is offline
Mature Bream
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Port Macquarie
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLuvski View Post
Yep, the last rod available that I could find anywhere. My head would return it but my heart wants/needs to keep it.
If your heart wants/needs to keep it you have your answer. Keep it, be aware of the flaw but realisticly in a 1-3kg rod i think you will be safe. Try and avoid those 85cm bycatch Flathead
__________________
Regards to all Dick
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 21-06-2017, 06:20 PM
dylanhenness's Avatar
dylanhenness dylanhenness is offline
Mature Bream
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Gippsland, Victoria
Posts: 275
Doesn't look too bad, if it was me, I would stick a fuji hook keeper over the top and pretend it never happened
__________________

http://www.searingtackle.com.au
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 21-06-2017, 09:30 PM
DrLuvski's Avatar
DrLuvski DrLuvski is offline
Mature Bream
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 331
Good idea . I loaded the rod up (hooked the line up to my daughter bike!) and pushed it as far as I would be happy going if I was hooked up to a fish. All seems good. Hopefully the shop will get back and be happy to guarantee it in case it breaks in that spot (which I doubt) in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22-06-2017, 10:00 PM
dostylz dostylz is offline
Mature Bream
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 116
Can't see if the ding is down past the epoxy layer. If it is just the epoxy layer, it should be fine.

If it is below the epoxy and into the carbon, depending on where it is on the rod it could go either way. Slow action rod that loads all the way down to the grip and the damage is above or within the grip? I would consider it could be critical damage that will manifest under load at the right angle. It could also provide a weakness point that could get worse through age being knocked around in a rod holder or during transport.

Under the grip, before the butt? should be fine imho.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 26-06-2017, 03:15 AM
Bait Caster Bait Caster is offline
Mature Bream
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 121
What is the rod?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 26-06-2017, 04:48 AM
DrLuvski's Avatar
DrLuvski DrLuvski is offline
Mature Bream
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 331
Its a Nordic Stage Artist (7'). Not heard from the shop yet although I have only contacted them by email so I could send some pics. I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 28-06-2017, 05:48 AM
DrLuvski's Avatar
DrLuvski DrLuvski is offline
Mature Bream
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by dostylz View Post
Can't see if the ding is down past the epoxy layer. If it is just the epoxy layer, it should be fine.

If it is below the epoxy and into the carbon, depending on where it is on the rod it could go either way. Slow action rod that loads all the way down to the grip and the damage is above or within the grip? I would consider it could be critical damage that will manifest under load at the right angle. It could also provide a weakness point that could get worse through age being knocked around in a rod holder or during transport.

Under the grip, before the butt? should be fine imho.
Thanks that all makes sense. The ding is about 27cm above the reel seat and the rod has quite a fast action. When I loaded it up with a fair amount of pressure the bottom half of the rod didn't bend too much at all.

The tackle shop got back today and said they would refund the cash if I wanted to return it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 28-06-2017, 07:40 AM
bjspinner bjspinner is offline
Mature Bream
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLuvski View Post
I just had a new rod delivered. It seems to have taken a bash and has a mark on it. Its a 2 piece and this is on the bottom (grip piece). Just wondered if you reckon its something to be concerned with? I put it under a bit of pressure and nothing happened (it didn't snap) so hoping it is just superficial.

I can take it back but its the last rod available.

Attachment 112075
Take up the option of your cash back, it's a crack those blanks appear to be painted if you can see the split it's not what you paid for.

Paint hides things its more than likely is worse underneath the paint.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 28-06-2017, 08:10 PM
dostylz dostylz is offline
Mature Bream
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLuvski View Post
Thanks that all makes sense. The ding is about 27cm above the reel seat and the rod has quite a fast action. When I loaded it up with a fair amount of pressure the bottom half of the rod didn't bend too much at all.

The tackle shop got back today and said they would refund the cash if I wanted to return it.
I can't tell from that pic how deep that ding looks. But from the colour of the photo, I can tell that the photo is showing something a little different to what you would see with my own eyes. I didn't pick it for an Artist.
And you're right, I'm not aware of any left in the country although there may be blanks left for builders.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Google