Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Rods

Rods Get the goss on what’s hot, and what’s not...

Old 11-12-2017, 07:25 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagz View Post
Not a clue mate

I’ll tell you one thing, the day I cast a 300g bait will be the most careful cast I’ve ever done

The new daiwa swimbaits are pretty damn big though, probably high 200 grams by the look of them, so they must be able to be managed
The heaviest I've managed to cast (which was 30g above the cast rating of 150g for my rod) is this beast of a stick bait that I made a few weeks ago and that was seriously pushing it. The rod's a regular tapered 4pc and I swore I was going to snap it clean in half lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stickbait1.jpg (124.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg stickbait2.jpg (95.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg stickbait3.jpg (122.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 11-12-2017, 07:33 AM
Blue Lip

That’s a sexy lump of lure!!!!!!!

I like it a lot
Old 11-12-2017, 07:35 AM
Blue Lip

I reckon cod would eat it. It swims great, it's just crazy heavy
Old 11-12-2017, 07:42 AM
Blue Lip

They probably would have a chew

Local Kingies wouldn’t say no either
Old 11-12-2017, 07:44 AM
Blue Lip

That's the goal. I had a pack of them chase up a smaller one I made a few weeks ago down at Catho. They came right up to the ledge I was on under my lure. Heart was in my mouth.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:45 AM
Blue Lip

I reckon I may actually have a crack at a swimbait before too long. I'll hit you up when I do.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:47 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
I reckon I may actually have a crack at a swimbait before too long. I'll hit you up when I do.
I’ll give it some air time
Old 11-12-2017, 07:48 AM
Blue Lip

Also,

Is there anyone else on this forum lol
Old 11-12-2017, 07:57 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
I’ll give it some air time
And hopefully some water time

Quote:
Also,

Is there anyone else on this forum lol
No, and I love it lol. I think we've been reduced to only those few capable of coping with my banter and the intellectual marathon that is understanding how YD can come up with such mind boggling innovations on a day to day basis.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:58 AM
Blue Lip

I’m surprised there’s still a list of sponsors

Might be out dated

Even the mods must’ve left
Old 11-12-2017, 05:00 PM
Blue Lip

drop some swear words and we'll find out

Last edited by stella fella; 11-12-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 13-12-2017, 04:30 AM
Big Bream

Wasn't really satisfied with the swimbait length cast rating so I hit up their facebook page and got this back
"Hi Alex, thanks so much for your message.
Ok the tatula and the TD Sol II swimbait rods both have the same ratings. The H can cast up to 150g and the XH can cast up to a max of 300g.
We have cast both of these rods with a whole range of different weights and they can really handle the larger size swimbaits as well as the high lure weights.
If we can assist you further please feel welcome to contact us at any time and we will be happy to assist.
Thanks and tight lines!"
After a few messages back and forth I was told 50-130g is the best range for the H (the model I'm looking at and that it could be pushed heavier than 150 with a lot of care and that it throws spinnerbaits well but doesn't have the hookset for the really big spinnerbaits 2 oz+.

I believe swimbait rods can cast so heavy due to their parabolic action, which is why you need to be a bit mindful throwing spinnerbaits and other big lures where a hookset is needed but they are geat for swimbaits as fish usually hook themselves.
Old 21-12-2017, 11:43 PM
Big Bream

I saw a Daiwa Black Label swim bait rod at a store in Rockdale in Sydney. It's a beast of a thing.
Old 22-12-2017, 02:43 AM
Blue Lip

I just bought a Veritas Swimbait rod for my Curado 300e... had it on a Benkei XH but just didn't sit all that nice with 1 oz and over jigs and spinnerbaits...

This particular rod has a 1 - 4 OZ rating - not overdone so it doesnt have that broomstick feel ...

Screenshot_20171222-162836.jpg

Screenshot_20171222-162844.jpg

Screenshot_20171222-162850.jpg

Anyhow the Veritas while not my absolute most favourite choice in rods(due to their historical disposable brand image), but the $99.95 price tag with all Fuji components, including Alconite K's (10 + tip) and a Fuji HD trigger seat atop a upgraded blank from the first two (snap happy) renditions - yeh saw me take it home.

I did look at some offerings from Samiki, Shimano, 13 and a couple others but they we either excelling in one spot and failed to prove their $300 price tag in say the s**ty Chinese reel seat etc...

Anyhow cant say the rod is too heavy or stiff imho, will have to weight it against my Corrzza Catfish (fine glass) and some other vintage rods for comparison.

Last edited by Slazmo; 22-12-2017 at 03:28 AM.
Old 23-12-2017, 03:31 AM
Poddy Bream

I have been looking at swim bait rods for a couple of months now. I dont have a budget figure in mind, but I am remembering the target species and how they fight. Last thing I want is a rod so stiff that it will handle tuna or so soft in the top it wont cast.

My reel of choice is the 13 A3 its a very serious piece of kit and casts big weights. Folks need to remember that too stiff a rod will cast well but when a person has a monster on and it decides to do a body roll on 60lb fluro leader and that or heavier braid, they better have a parabolic rod that has some "give" in it.

I have located just such a beast Abu Villan 2 its the 7'11" XH. I will be fishing 30lb braid tied to 30lb Black Magic fluro leader. Unlike most I fish a 6m leader as most of my swimbaits are used in 5m or less. My thinking on this is as simple as its the ideal length for my pigtail lure retriever pole.

Added sorry about the garble before, had to post and run to a "do" leaving the post unedited hope it makes more sense now.

With regard to parabolic action. Have yet to encounter a true parabolic swimbait rod. But the Abu has a lot more forgiveness in the middle than any of the others like the Daiwa, Venom etc in the $200-400 price range which will help avoid pulling hooks when big fish roll or make any sudden direction change.

The swimbait rods are maimly targeted at American bass they have a very hard mouth and require very different methods to stay in contact. Treat a meter cod like a bass and either end up in the drink forwards , being pulled in or backwards 'cos you bust the line.
The 13 fishing Muse range are beasts as is the Venom which is why many American Bass anglers still use mono lines.

The longer rods cast well fish ok out off a boat and offer the benefit of being able to better cushion the big heavy loads against non stretch fluro leaders and rock solid braid that are very much on the cards on a big cod.

Last edited by 90sBlackjabiru; 23-12-2017 at 04:43 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: