Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Setting Up Your Gear

Setting Up Your Gear Drop in here for tips on setting up your rod, reel, line, leader etc.

Old 19-07-2015, 08:34 PM
Mature Bream

Straight through fluorocarbon

Hi Guys,

Looking to spool a few of my sustain 1000's with straight through fluorocarbon.
I need some recommendations as to brand / type that breaks well above the breaking strain listed. Prefer something around 10lb+ breaking strain if possible, but next best is welcomed. Something nice and thin, easy to cast and minimal on the problems.

I want around 10lb breaking strain just so I can confidently increase my drag of 5kg without worrying about stressing the line too much OR having to worry about how much pressure i'm putting on. Of course I plan to fish flats, rock walls and moorings etc with this set up but need to be able to turn the heat up when I'm getting dusted.... I have multiple spools and will be using this for application mainly in gin clear waters where the fish are more finicky. At least 150, 300 is better if it comes in that length.. Never mind price tags just let me know your thoughts!

Cheers,

Jesse

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab253/searingtackle/webbanner_zpsnjjqxuuj.gif
Old 19-07-2015, 08:48 PM
Mature Bream

Sunline Assassin FC.

Not sure when it'll be available here though.
Old 19-07-2015, 09:07 PM
Big Bream

I dont know anybody who fishes 10lb flurocarbon for bream. Infact i dont know anyone who fishes more then 4lb ( cue the "my mate fishes with 100lb " ).

10lb flurocarbon is thick has no feel and would be practically unfishable for bream, save your 10lb flurcarbon for bait ( mono still better ).

Buy some 3lb if your in a pressured waterway or 4lb if you live in tasmania

Lastly if you are fishing anywhere near close to 5kg infact anything over 1kg of drag unless your fishing racks or very very very tight structure is generally too much for bream. Pick up a 1kg weight in your hand and wave it around for a minute it starts to get pretty heavy ? now imagine what 1kg of pressure feels like to a creature that only weighs a kilo.
Old 19-07-2015, 09:23 PM
Mature Bream

lad,

I'm in WA and fish metro / south west WA. Some pretty rugged country and has what I'm told, are the harder fighting bream in Australia. I generally fish 8lb braid which breaks about 12-14lb and 10+lb leaders and even then, that has seen me get dusted big time. Some guys here even use 12-14lb leaders and same in their main lines.

Nowadays you can get extremely thin line which equates to maybe 4lb of some standard diameter sorta stuff with a breaking strain of 10lb depending on the manufacture.. Most places I fish, even flats are littered with structure. Even in clear water situations around my locals, you don't stand much chance with a big fish on a semi-loose drag and 3lb breaking strain type gear.

I like to lock up my drag and pull fish out, I can spin that drag up, quickly and not worry about it pinging. Yes, it reduces sport but in competition scenarios you just want the fish landed as safely as possible, fishing a heavier fluoro kind of defeats the purpose of becoming more subtle but at the same time it provides an alternative presentation which may tempt more fish than my current set up.

I am in the business of working these fish out backwards, I'll buy one spool of the line and give it a hard lesson over a few months.. If it doesn't work I plan to keep dropping lb until I unlock them.
If i work the fish out this way rather than increasing my gear after a heap of bust offs, then I can push my boundaries and give myself the best chance to land them.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab253/searingtackle/webbanner_zpsnjjqxuuj.gif
Old 19-07-2015, 09:35 PM
Big Bream

.... okay

1.flurocarbon will break almost exactly at its advertised breaking stain

2.The difference between the thinnest 10lb flurocarbon and the thickest 10lb flurocarbon is negligible. This isnt like braid where higher quality lines are drastically thinner smoother and have rounder profiles.

3.A WA bream does not fight harder then a melbourne bream or a sydney bream or a brisbane bream etc etc etc, it might be nice to believe but it isnt true. All bream either yellow fin black or hybrids fight according to their condition, size and individual characteristics of aggression and endurance. It has nothing to do with which state they are in.

4.People didnt make the transition from monofilement lines to gel spun braided lines because of straight out breaking strain, they changed because you could get far thinner line with far more sensitivity from the lure to the rod and lastly to the user.

You can go right ahead and try 10lb straight through but you might aswell be using rope there is no feel no finesse no sensitivity. It wont matter if your breaking strain is more because you wont hook fish.

Save your 10lb flurocarbon for chasing american largemouth bass with big swimbaits and baitcasters.
Old 19-07-2015, 09:40 PM
Big Bream

I ran 4lb FC on my steez for a while. Personally I'm not a big fan, the 4lb comes off in coils and reduces the casting distance but at the same time it's a whole lot more finesse because it suspends/sinks.

I was asking the same question a few months back and I got told a solution that's been working good for me (I'm in WA and I've fished all the big fish systems with this)
Run a long FC leader, like a good 5m of 8lb. It's a good technique for extracting the big ones from snags.

Hope this helps,
Old 19-07-2015, 10:12 PM
Mature Bream

Wow , ground hog day

Your going up and I'm coming down Jesse ,

I know exactly what your talking about though , my view , fishing tight structure 4lb is a waste of time if your setting the bar high hunting a PB , ok if you happy to pull 30's and lose high end lures or risk a light drag and going in to weave a fish out .

Doesn't take 10lb long to become 8-6-4lb fishing heavy structure , 4lb you get far less of a chance if the fish goes deep , fine if they swim out .

As far as any recommendations go .... I dont have any mate but the only way to see if your better off is grab a spool of a quality brand and spend a few days finding out , it's not like you wont score anything at all and if you get a pig your in with a better chance.

I'd be trying 8
Old 19-07-2015, 10:29 PM
Blue Lip

With 10lbs straight through the line management would be your biggest problem. Too much memory even if you use a spinning fluoro.

I am with Olistevo on braid and fluoro combo. These days braids are ridiculously thin for their breaking strain ratings.

Get a good brand 14-17lbs braid and an 8-14 lbs fluoro leader, use an FG knot and hold on to it!

Cheers

Monster Miki Addict
Old 19-07-2015, 10:42 PM
Mature Bream

I'm a straight through user and I couldn't imagine even trying to fish 10lb fluoro. It would be a nightmare. One cast and you'd be cursing.
I fish Tassie and our bream aren't small. 3 or 4lb is great and I throw the odd 5lb under jetties and nasties with vibes, crabs and SP's but that's as far as I'll go and even then 5lb tests your patience.
Old 19-07-2015, 10:43 PM
Big Bream

Just to clarify the OP is talking about straight through FC.

i do not reccomend 4lb leader for structure, infact 10lb leader would be great for structure. But 10lb FC straight through wont work.
Old 19-07-2015, 10:49 PM
Blue Lip

I use 6lb in the racks and that is plenty. Can pole big fish in on a almost locked drag. 5 or 6lb is the heaviest I'd use.
Old 19-07-2015, 10:59 PM
Mature Bream

MB Dragon Call must be the best one,though it hard to imagine how far you suppose to shoot a typical bream lure or jighead on 10lb fc with 1000 spin reel? 8 meters,if wind in favor.Not to mention near zero feedback and sensitivity. Those thick fc it all about bc+bass games.
Old 19-07-2015, 11:14 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddercat View Post
Just to clarify the OP is talking about straight through FC.

i do not reccomend 4lb leader for structure, infact 10lb leader would be great for structure. But 10lb FC straight through wont work.
Yeah, casting 10lb mono from a 1000 spool will end in line troubles and heavily reduced casting distance. If you still wish to use a heavy mainline, a larger spool or baitcaster setup would be best.
Old 20-07-2015, 12:39 AM
Mature Bream

Cheers for the valuable input all, something to think about for sure.

Ladder, murray river bream are no joke I've been spanked by 50+ers multiple times and believe me 5kg drag in tight structure is nothing to a big bream so I dont think maxing my drag at 5kg is that unreasonable, especially when you fish it as often as me. With the rest, I'm just not totally educated so just keeping a open mind, because some people here are very involved and aware of what's coming out/stuff on the down low as there is an ever increase and development of our gear, so it's not to say they can't and won't bring out a line with FC characteristics but higher breaking strains, etc. In this regard thanks for the bullet points showing your clear opinion.

At the moment for tight structure, I run PE 0.8 Toray super strong which has breaking strain of of over 12lb, usually tied to atleast 3m of 8lb (sometimes 10-12lb) leaders, 5M of 6lb with an improved FG on a shut down bite... This usually suffices and as you say Oli it definitely works. Blackwood, Murray River, Kalgan, King, Moore, Serpy, Canning, Swan, Collie, I've fished a lot of SWWA as well but these fish in this particular location are monsters and have a fine line between accepting a presentation and nudging it off. All i'll say is that there's no reason why comps can't be won in the location, maybe people don't know they're there, but I just think people are too lazy to work out what they like.

I am at higher breaks strains because from experience, if your fishing a drag light enough to not break off 4lb on their first pull, your not fishing heavy enough to give yourself a chance to get them out or you love lady luck... I don't do lucky fishing where I can help it, so I am doing what I can to maximize my chances at pulling them out.

Am hoping to debunk their habits and find where that fine line is. Maybe they will only take 4lb but in my preference, I'd rather waste 30-40$ on a spool of line that gets nothing than throw around lures and ping them off left right and center @ around 20.00$+ a lure. Most of the area would be doable on 6lb, so happy to check out 6lb, but where I've been really hurt are the worst places to cast. Multiple jetties 1m or less apart, not really enough to get a boat in, let alone manouever to get fish out, and you can't get my Pro Angler in there and do a spot 360 because it's so tight.

I'd rather fish deep snags with 4lb then this place

Chief what 6lb do you use? Has anyone used 7lb FC sniper? I've been told Bawo is good but they only go up to 2.5 from what I can see.

Old 20-07-2015, 01:04 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
and believe me 5kg drag in tight structure is nothing to a big bream
I have no imperical evidence to support my claim, however i am 99% sure there is no bream alive that can get anywhere near close to pulling 5kg of drag from a reel.

It is just physically impossible.

Id love for a bunch of people to tell me im wrong..... but in all honesty i have more chance of catching a 1m long bream then i do seeing a bream take line under 5kg of drag.