Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 05:09 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbdshroom View Post
If you want a scientific answer, here is my take on it.

Ci4+ is NOT a chemical symbol for a material or alloy. Therefore, it doesn't represent the element Ci (which doesn't exist!) in the 4th oxidation state! Call it whatever you want, Ci4, Ci4+, Zaion, it makes no difference. It's just a marketing thing from what I can tell.

From the horses mouth (i.e. Shimano), Ci4+ was coined from two things. Ci is just a short hand for what they call 'carbon interfusion'. As I can tell, its a fancy term to describe carbon fibre and what they do to it. Now, carbon fibre is basically tiny strands of graphite interwoven and embedded in resins.

What is graphite? It's just an allotrope of the element carbon. Allotrope basically means a different physical form of a particular element. The element carbon has several allotropes, two of which are graphite and diamond. Diamond is a 3D lattice of carbon atoms bonded together whilst graphite is basically a sheet of carbon atoms bonded. As you all know, diamond (10 on Moh's scale of hardness) is considered one of (if not the hardest) the hardest material on earth. To give the jist of it, graphite retains these properties but only in certain directions (as it is a 2 dimensional sheet versus a 3 dimensional diamond structure). When you weave strands of graphite together, you get a material which can be moulded into whatever you want, yet exhibit these strength qualities in the appropriate directions.

What's so good about it? Everything! It has 3x the tensile strength of steel yet weighs nearly 5 times lighter. Also, carbon is not iron so it cannot rust. Rust is Fe(s) -> Fe2O3.H20 etc. No iron (Fe) = no rust.

So put that together in a Shimano secret interweaving and bonding process with undisclosed resins and processing and you have their Ci4. Thus, Ci4+ is just a minor improvement on the Ci4. I think the '+' doesnt mean anything, jsut a visual distinguisher it has improved. Regarding changes, it could be changes to this manufacturing process, it could be changes to the grade of carbon fibre (or both). Who knows. But the material itself, carbon fibre is great.

P.s. forgot about the 4, basically as above someone said. Carbon atoms have and are missing (depending how you want to spin it), 4 valence electrons. Each electron is paired with an electron from another neighbouring carbon atom (to complete the stable octet of electrons of each atom) of the graphite lattice. Thus each carbon atom is covalently bonded to another 4 carbon atoms in this structure. For something like aluminium, it is a lattice of Al3+ surrounded by a sea of electrons. The whole real of something like a stella or sustain isn't actually Aluminium per se. Because Aluminium metal will ignite in air! When people say aluminium, it usually means Aluminium metal coated in an Aluminium oxide and it is this material that is chemically resistant.
Thank you!
I was trying to work out the CI4 as a formula, and only looking into what Shimano were saying about there 'carbon interufusion'. Obviously they weren't made of CI4 (formula), as then they'd dissolve
So I'm guessing the + in CI4+ is just a more tightly woven/ compressed construct of the standard CI4 composition material to increase density and therefore strength (or decrease weight depending on how you look at it) much like how rod blanks are made stronger by compressing them?

Last edited by Frithy; 01-12-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Mature Bream

After a long wait, it has finally arrived.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Image.JPG (287.8 KB, 136 views)
Old 01-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrizVegasBretto View Post
After a long wait, it has finally arrived.
they look so good. how does it feel? similar size to the previous model chronarch?
Old 01-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Blue Lip

They're quite large more like a T3 profile
Old 01-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris268 View Post
they look so good. how does it feel? similar size to the previous model chronarch?
A mate of mine who ordered it for me sent me the photo. I won't actually get my hands on it until Friday when I see him next. I'm of the belief that its bigger than my 51E and smaller than a 201E. I think its a touch lighter than a 51E Chronarch too.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Big Bream

Just be carfeful not to drop the chronarch ci4s. My brother dropprd his from no more then 30cms and when it landed it cracked the sideplate and the frame straight thru.
Old 15-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris268 View Post
Comparison with a Chronarch 51E and how it looks on the Samurai 251.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131207_065257.jpg (145.8 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 20131207_065450.jpg (147.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 20131207_065506.jpg (144.8 KB, 89 views)
Old 15-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrizVegasBretto View Post
Comparison with a Chronarch 51E and how it looks on the Samurai 251.
I fished my chronarch ci4 for about 12 hrs on the weekend. Such a nice reel. Awesome casting drags super smooth. Would match up great with the samurai