Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Old 01-03-2015, 05:22 PM
Blue Lip

No. Was most definitely a barramundi. Even had barra caught at docklands

If you don't want urban backdrops then there's werribee river under the cliffs by the golf course but a bit limited landbased and it's on a plain so you'll probably not like it.

Otherwise I'd say you need to hit the sweetwater and trout streams up and around the yarra valley. I don't fish sweet or fresh so can't really suggest much - I do know though that the upper yarra around warburton/healesville etc is very picturesque.

End of the day if you're fishing in urban/metro systems it's going to be an urban backdrop. Personally I think the diversity and quality of fishing within 5km of the city is amazing. I love our local systems. Have you tried fishing the upper reaches of either ? Certainly the upper Nong past anglers and canning - all the man-made structure and rock banks give way to bush and natural snags and structure.

Ultimately though if you don't like urban fishing and you don't want to travel..... Well you're a bit stuck

Last edited by Sloth; 01-03-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:58 PM
Blue Lip

Requires immense patience and dedication (or blind luck).

There's only a small window of a week or two each year when the Nong Barra run starts
Old 01-03-2015, 08:15 PM
Mature Bream

Barra in the Yarra?!?! Wtf?!?! That is sooooooo cool!!!
Old 01-03-2015, 08:22 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Yeah Ribskull you might want to pull your head in a little.

A mistake some newly arrived fisherman from other states make is - they hang sh1t on Melbourne and they dont thank people for their advice.

Eventually the locals get annoyed by this rudeness and stop trying to help.

Try to avoid this if you can. Even if you arent naturally a polite and gracious guest - In Melbourne - its best to pretend you are.

A subtle rephrasing of some of your questions would go along way.

for example - instead of saying "Your town is a sh1t-hole, my home town is heaps better. Gimme a spot that isnt sh1t'

You might want to try "Gday Gents - I'm loving the challenges of your unique urban fishery but I've got some time on my hands this weekend and wouldnt mind seeing what other spots this great state has to offer. I'm looking for a change of pace and scene. I'm hoping to find a natural piece of river or estuary to stroll along while flicking some lures.(insert photo of the sort of terrain you are looking for) Any help would be greatly appreciated"

Then when someone replies - you acknowledge their efforts and say thankyou
Old 01-03-2015, 08:37 PM
Blue Lip

If BM had a like button....YD's response would be getting a thumbs up

In regards to your question, Torquay has some great fishing but you need to put in the time and work the fish out. My PB bream for many years came from the creek CHUNQX is referring to so don't be put off by his comments.

As Dylman said, everyone in this day and age has access to google earth. Take a look and you will find 200 spots within 40 minutes of Melbourne that offer the kind of serenity you are seeking.

I was told some very wise words about 10 years ago now. "every environment has creatures that live in it.....if there is water, there are fish"

Find the scenery you are looking for and then take the time to work out how to catch the fish in that area....enjoy
Old 01-03-2015, 09:08 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
There's only a small window of a week or two each year when the Nong Barra run starts
Can't wait for this Run!!

Thumbs up YD