Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2016, 04:31 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka-T View Post
Look out MasterChef !!
When it comes to the perfect cooking time - I've left no cork unturned
Old 09-08-2016, 06:30 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Nothing ground breaking here - just keeping my self updated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2186.jpg (77.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-08-2016, 03:24 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Nothing ground breaking here - just keeping my self updated
No need to burn my fingers on a candle any more - the answer has landed

The perfect dusk option when the light is getting low but you still dont want to spook them with an overly aggressive tail

Bugger - the photo's dont really show it - but it has a clear round paddle tail on the back
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2184.jpg (65.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 2174.jpg (39.0 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 12-08-2016 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:47 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

I feel a deep sense of shame for my lack of innovations recently - but "necessity is the mother of invention" and I havent been trying too much new stuff lately.

I did notice one of my "leashes" was a bit long the other day - and since noone uses "old school phones with coiled leads" any more. I thought I may aswell learn how to make my own.

Again - nothing new here - just copying stuff I've seen done before.

"Whipper Snipper Cord wrapped around a stick then boiled" should cover the description.

I didnt have access to a burner and a pot, to boil my leash in (all my burners have been subject to "product recalls" due to a manufacturing fault that makes them explode and burn peoples faces off)

So I just used boiling water in a plastic container - (careful what container you use - the harder tha plastic the more likely it is to contract)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2180.jpg (87.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 2183.jpg (119.6 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 28-08-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:07 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

This is what 1m of whipper snipper cord will coil down to with my method - and my method sucks - the whipper snipper line is the cheapest they have at Bunnings - (I'll include a pic which shows the brand and diameter)

Plus I imagine a constant heat source would make tighter coils - I did reverse the coils with a drill ( as seen in the video below) but I think he is using thicker whipper snipper line.

And my local Bunnings doesnt supply aluminum crimps - or any other crimps that would fit the thinnest whipper snipper cord. They had steel crimps but they were way too big and cost $1 each - not ideal for a tight arse making his own leashes

So I just used my lighter to make a "bulb" on the end - and "crimped" it with a cable tie.

So why did you intentionally do a shitty version of something that was proven to work - the answer is - because it was just to hold my keys

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2181.jpg (75.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 2179.jpg (76.1 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 12-08-2016 at 04:10 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:30 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

As you can see from the Vid above - he is using much thicker "whipper snipper" cord than mine.

Marlin fisherman may be able to recognize its breaking strain at a glance - but its beyond me.

Here it is over some 50lb rovex

Putting a bulb on the line with lighter, and securing it with a cable tie, is weak as piss.

You will need the correct crimps for a secure connection
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2173.jpg (133.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 2172.jpg (74.6 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 12-08-2016 at 04:34 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:33 AM
Blue Lip

Good post Larry.

I've made a few of these in the past, boiling water and heatgun, ice etc. but they never get really tight coils and eventually stretch out. That drilling backwards trick is a cracker idea to tighten the coil, and I reckon it'll fix the slow uncoiling.

Stihl..ms200-088 mag
Petzl..hardware
Buckingham.. harness and spurs
Fireline...ropes

PB.Hard. 46 mtr Mountain Ash
PB. Soft. 42 mtr Trifurcated Cypress
Old 12-08-2016, 06:50 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggo_1 View Post
Good post Larry.

I've made a few of these in the past, boiling water and heatgun, ice etc. but they never get really tight coils and eventually stretch out. That drilling backwards trick is a cracker idea to tighten the coil, and I reckon it'll fix the slow uncoiling.
Yeah - I think the guy in that Vid has hit the "Sweet spot" where the brand of whipper snipper line and its diametre perfectly match the techniques employed. But I also think he isnt fully stretching his coils during testing.

Part of me thought the more gradual application of heat, would be beneficial to the end result. ie - you want the core of the material to heat up aswell.

Part of me thinks this is where a micro wave would work well but I'm not willing to chance it

I wanted to use a heat gun but my recent experiences with the brief, rapid application of heat have not had the desired effect
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2218.jpg (76.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 12-08-2016 at 06:58 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:13 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

p.s. - I dont think the fact that he uses a "very thin" dowel of fibre glass should be over looked either.

Plus he tightens them with a drill while winding them on - I reckon I got mine tighter by clamping the cord to a bench and winding it on to a broom stick with both hands on the broom stick - but maybe there is something about the drilling technique - ( I doubt it but its worth thinking about.)

I think it has alot to do with the diametre of the dowel used in the wrapping process - the ingredients used to make the whipper snipper cord - its diametre - and how a particular brand of whipper snipper cord reacts to heat.

I bet if I stretched out his coils really hard they wouldnt spring back like they do in the video

Last edited by yellow door 1; 12-08-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 27-08-2016, 09:10 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

If you fish from a bike and carry a spare rod - this sound can mean a few things

A busted rod
A busted reel
or both.

It happened again the other night and it was both.

The reel was beyond repair but the rod still had a pulse

Last edited by yellow door 1; 27-08-2016 at 09:18 PM.
Old 27-08-2016, 09:18 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

The last time I busted a rod, it took an exhaustive search for a rod repairer and 2 trips to Frankston.

This time all it took was a hacksaw - some araldite - and an 8 inch fibreglass internal splint.

My "Veritas" is now just an "as" - but its back in the game
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2118.jpg (104.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 2117.jpg (37.4 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 27-08-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 28-08-2016, 07:17 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
The last time I busted a rod, it took an exhaustive search for a rod repairer and 2 trips to Frankston.

This time all it took was a hacksaw - some araldite - and an 8 inch fibreglass internal splint.

My "Veritas" is now just an "as" - but its back in the game
Well that was annoying - Probably should have watched some youtube clips on how to repair a rod before having a crack

I have since learnt that it is very important to bind some thread over the joint or the rod will split again the first time you get snagged- ahh well - live and learn.
Old 28-08-2016, 03:54 PM
Blue Lip

Ive made a few of those whipper snipper lanyards and sold them to work mates all done up etc with paracord exteriors etc...

The main thing with coiling is using a small mendral to wind around, very hot salty water to dip the coils into, and maintaining the heat in the jar with it being wrapped in a towel.

I usuly put the coiled snipper line in there for about 2 mins and then quickly remove and then quenched the mendral in icy cold water to set the coils.

I do know of one lanyard still going strong 3 years fter being made and being carried on one guy who works full time and uses the tool attached near enough full time also...

Good quality materials is key i guess.
Old 28-08-2016, 07:51 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
Ive made a few of those whipper snipper lanyards and sold them to work mates all done up etc with paracord exteriors etc...

The main thing with coiling is using a small mendral to wind around, very hot salty water to dip the coils into, and maintaining the heat in the jar with it being wrapped in a towel.

I usuly put the coiled snipper line in there for about 2 mins and then quickly remove and then quenched the mendral in icy cold water to set the coils.

I do know of one lanyard still going strong 3 years fter being made and being carried on one guy who works full time and uses the tool attached near enough full time also...

Good quality materials is key i guess.
Yeah the small mandrel seems to be a key component to success -

I found an old cooking pot the other day - and Masters is about to have a closing down sale - So I'll pick up an outdoor burner and get it done right.

I just went back and had a look at yours - they do look a bit better than mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2116.JPG (160.8 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 28-08-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 28-08-2016, 08:19 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

For you blokes familiar with crimps

The whipper snipper cord I have is 1.6mm - So I assumed I'd need a crimp that was at least 3.2mm to make a loop.

ie I want to pass the line up through the crimp and then back down through the crimp to make the loop.

But this size chart has got me a little confused - are the crimps named for the line class they are suppossed to fit or for the inner diametre of the hole
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2115.jpg (36.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2114.jpg (112.8 KB, 0 views)