Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Lures > Hard Bodies

Hard Bodies Diving minnows are the name of the game here…
Attack, Halco, Oargee, Tilsan. Rebel…

Old 19-05-2003, 08:24 AM
Mature Bream

Question 2 many jellies: bream artificial diet

does anyone know what happens to digested plastics? does breambo get sick? and hooks how the hell do the lil suckers get rid of them... both singles and trebles..?? also just how toxic are degrading sps in our waterways?

just wondering cos u can sometimes lose alot of gear....
Old 19-05-2003, 11:24 PM
Mature Bream

I've thought the same thing before when lures keep coming back minus the paddletail. Will it clog up the digestive system and slowly kill the bream? Hope not

Matt
Old 20-05-2003, 12:55 AM
Mature Bream

You'd like to think that they wouldn't - but i saw a post by samarai a few weeks ago saying that his mates cat got stuck into his (mates) tackle box and subsequently died a few days later after eating a few softies. Sure there's some different body chemistry happening but it'd take a conserted study to determine it they're 'safe' for fish - anecdotes don't really cut it.
That said - wrt hooks: the newer chemically sharpened hooks corrode much faster that conventional hooks if they stay attached - bream will make an effort to knock off a lure on structure and do a bit of head shaking to rid itself of the object. I've actually seen this in action down south in clearer waters (and gotten my lure back )
Old 20-05-2003, 04:52 AM

Hokks Rusting Away

Hi,

I have seen on tv when they get busted of on gut hooked they say that it will rust away but i have put a normal hook in a glass of river water and it did not rust away. So it would be bad for the fish. Also how is the fish suposed to eat with a lure hanging out of its mouth??

Daniel
Old 20-05-2003, 05:32 AM
Mature Bream

hey guys nice to know some of u wondered too.

i know bream are pretty tough ... once caught an undersized fish with a nickeled suicide hook out its butt. he was pretty healthy looking fish, apart from his attempt to look like some of my young trendy pierced peers.

i love sps, but id hate to waste fish by poisoning them.

any peeps here make their own sp's? using wat resins/plastics/silicones? i might look up info on relative toxicity.

what got any marine biologists registered in here?
Old 20-05-2003, 06:27 AM
Mature Bream

With hooks it all depends on the finish as to how fast they will corrode. As a general rule the order goes bronze, gold, black, black nickel, tinned, stainless. In the salt the bronzes will go very quick, but at the other end of the scale the stainless is a fish's worst enemy. The bream is one fish that assists in the corrosion process as they frequently feed near the surface picking tasty morsals off structure and as such break the surface and with the addition of the air the corrosion process is much quicker.

I'm not sure with the plastics, but the old breams digestive system must be tough to deal with oysters, muscles, crabs and other hard objects and I'm confident a piece of rubber would not pose any problems. The only concern would be the toxicity of the rubber, before it was passed
Old 20-05-2003, 07:47 AM
Poddy Bream

I think that they should reinvent soft plastics so after about 48 hours of contact with salt water they disslve into fish food.The driving ranges where they hit golf balls into the sea on luxury cruisers use this method and the golf balls dissolve into fish food when they come in contact with salt water. But you would have to rinse your sp's with fresh water once youve used them in salt water if you want to keep them.
Just an idea though.

Cheers
Old 20-05-2003, 07:21 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally posted by captn' squinty
any peeps here make their own sp's? using wat resins/plastics/silicones? i might look up info on relative toxicity.
Soft plastic lures are made from Plastisol which is a vinyl compound.

http://www.qcminds.com/msds_p7002.htm
is an MSDS on vinyl Plastisol.
Old 23-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Fingerling

The Japanese banned a few brands of soft plastics because they were toxic. You could always ask the manufacturers.
Old 25-05-2003, 11:52 PM
Mature Bream

ever tried lighting one? they're pretty flamable.
Old 26-05-2003, 12:01 AM

Hey Guys.
I wouldn't worry bout bream keeping hooks in their mouths!
If a hook or lure gets stuck, the bream bump inot things and rub their mouths on various surfaces and eventually the object comes out!!!
Not only have i seen this in real life while fishing, i have got bream in an aquarium, and when the food is too big for their mouths and it gets stuck, they simply use the same process!
HTH

Dave

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: