Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Boats > Electric Trolling Motors

Electric Trolling Motors The ultimate bream fishing accessory...

Old 04-10-2016, 08:47 AM
Fingerling

Motorguide Xi5 or X5

I'm making the switch from a Minn Kota I-Pilot 55 Terrova to a Motorguide. I'm not sure if should get the X5 or Xi5.

I do comp fishing and need to fish oyster racks in some comps. I was told the cable steer X5 is better suited to rack fishing and fishing in tight areas due to its more responsive steering.

I like all the features of the Xi5. I need its spot lock and route features to hold on a spot and to work the edges for fish.

If the Xi5 steering is almost as responsive as the X5 then i will lean towards the Xi5.

Anybody out there got any experiences with either trolling motor ?
Old 04-10-2016, 03:19 PM
Mature Bream

Ive got the Xi5 GPS model . The anchor lock is brilliant and responsiveness fantastic. I haven't really tried saving tracks yet . Only thing ive found hard to get used to fishing for bream wise is using a remote . I just find it a bit annoying steering and casting/retrieving at the same time and find it gets in the way around my neck with the lanyard . I think i might invest in the wireless foot pedal shortly.

Shimano Sustain FG 1000 on 13 ENVY Black 6.10
Shimano Stradic Ci4 1000 on 13 OMEN Black 6.10
Shimano Stradic FJ 1000 on Rapala X Rap Xtreme 6.0
Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500 on Rapala X Rap Xtreme 6.10
Old 04-10-2016, 05:09 PM
Blue Lip

Speaking as a Minn Kota user bream fishing especially in a comp situation I would be lost without my foot pedal.

As said, firing off casts and having to fumble with a remote just doesn't work.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:13 PM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbin157 View Post
Ive got the Xi5 GPS model . The anchor lock is brilliant and responsiveness fantastic. I haven't really tried saving tracks yet . Only thing ive found hard to get used to fishing for bream wise is using a remote . I just find it a bit annoying steering and casting/retrieving at the same time and find it gets in the way around my neck with the lanyard . I think i might invest in the wireless foot pedal shortly.
Cheers mate. Yeh foot pedal is the way to go. I got one on the MK and it comes in very handy. You done much rack fishing with your Xi5 and if so how did the Xi5 perform in the racks ?
Old 04-10-2016, 06:15 PM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodWorm View Post
Speaking as a Minn Kota user bream fishing especially in a comp situation I would be lost without my foot pedal.

As said, firing off casts and having to fumble with a remote just doesn't work.
Yeh I hear ya loud and clear m8. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:06 AM
Big Bream

Ive got xi5 i use in the canals chasing jacks. No oyster racks but multi million dollwr boats to contend with. The respnse time is fine. Not slow at all. I have foot pedal and remote. The pin point gps is awesome. The jog feature is probably one of the best feautres though. Also have the spot lock button on thr foot control. Very handy at times.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:25 AM
Mature Bream

I've used both in the racks and to be honest, for me,neither motor is quicker when turning and in some cases the cable steer was slower. Of course any cable steer will go from lock to lock quicker than a servo turned head, but it is not pulling you away any quicker.

At the point the Kota head turns 1mm in the opposite direction, you should also be on the power and this is where the direction change starts. I actually found the cable steer to be slower when fishing tight Forster racks with a cross current ,as it took a lot more effort to start the turning process, when I wanted to do a quick direction change.

I would disregard the steering system of each and look at what options each brand have to offer and which best suits your requirements.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:12 AM
Big Bream

I have a XI5,went the extra dollars for the wireless foot pedal as well, just don't use it Cruise control anchor etc etc, the remote works for me very well
Old 05-10-2016, 04:00 PM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braddo06 View Post
Cheers mate. Yeh foot pedal is the way to go. I got one on the MK and it comes in very handy. You done much rack fishing with your Xi5 and if so how did the Xi5 perform in the racks ?
Nah mate we dont have oyster racks here in WA.

Shimano Sustain FG 1000 on 13 ENVY Black 6.10
Shimano Stradic Ci4 1000 on 13 OMEN Black 6.10
Shimano Stradic FJ 1000 on Rapala X Rap Xtreme 6.0
Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500 on Rapala X Rap Xtreme 6.10
Old 05-10-2016, 05:56 PM
Poddy Bream

I purchased a x5 80lb cable steer on my previous boat and found it to be a great motor smooth very quiet and awesome battery life. I think the quiet non electric steering and associated extended battery life is the real benefit over the xi5(if you don't require the use of a spot lock feature). Also you should be able to pick up a 80lb x5 brand new from your local mercury dealer for about $1850
Old 14-10-2016, 03:37 AM
Poddy Bream

Get the Xi5 you won't look back the remote is so easy to use the foot pedal you can also get but may be left in the shed after you get comfortable with the remote. Oyster racks in Oyster Harbor Albany, handles them easily. My advice get familiar with all the record settings as these are a real bonus when pulling big Bream from structure.
The Xi5 has some great features, I initially started with a MK but found through using a mates Xi5 it was better in my opinion for my fishing.

Good luck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: