Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Vehicles > General

Old 02-10-2016, 07:38 PM
Mature Bream

Updating tow car

Just after some thoughts/advice.

My boat is a 4.5m Bluefin Side Console with a 60hp Yam 4 stroke. Ive never weighed it but it came from the factory as under 750kgs so I assume it is. Even so Im a cautious person and had good quality brakes fitted after buying it. Lets say worst case its 8-850kg fully wet. Id be shocked if it actually is though...

My current car is a Pajero Exceed Diesel that Ive had for about 10 years. Its still going strong but with kids grown up and independent Im just thinking its time to downsize a bit. I don't go "off road" as such with it and originally bought it when I was still bike racing as an economical tow car that could store all my gear. So now apart from towing the boat it just gets used as a car. So Im leaning towards a smaller soft roader of some sort. I still like the economy and urge of diesel so intend to stick with that. Although the boat doesn't weigh a huge amount living in Canberra I have to drag it up and down the mountains to get to the coast and don't want something I have to thrash to do it. I know Pathfinders,Colorados etc are better 4Wds and I guess tow cars but they wont suit my usual needs as well as something a bit more car like.

So my short list at the moment is
(Soft roaders)
Mazda CX5
BMW X3
Volvo XC60

Possibly more traditional 4WD but still closer to a car.
Hyundai Santa Fe/ix35
Kia Sorrento/sportage

In my price range these cars will have done around 100ks, some more some less. So does anyone have any experience of any of these cars? Reliability, servicing costs and especially how well they tow? Ive read some stuff about the CX5 not transferring drive to the rear wheels well but you can always find someone to have a whine on the Internet. The BMW and Volvo are pretty upspec and Ive no experience of them. Power and Torque on their motors are pretty hot though.

Last edited by Sprinter; 02-10-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:12 AM
Mature Bream

If you go a Volvo or BMW you will most likely need to factor in expensive service and parts costs. Heard some horror stories on parts and service prices on both brands.

Might not be in your thoughts but a Ford Territory Diesel is quite a good vehicle. My boss has the latest model which may be the last model made which he bought as a demo for a steal and we haul the full tow rating with it regularly (tri-axle trailer full of building supplies like plaster, bricks, timber and steel). Drives great, not bad on fuel and has plenty of bells and whistles. It drives more like a car than a SUV.

I personally have a Toyota Landcruiser 4wd and wouldn't swap it for anything but it wont suit everyone, drives more like a car than a 4wd and I have driven a lot of different utes and 4wd vehicles.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:25 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by beans07 View Post
If you go a Volvo or BMW you will most likely need to factor in expensive service and parts costs. Heard some horror stories on parts and service prices on both brands.

Might not be in your thoughts but a Ford Territory Diesel is quite a good vehicle. My boss has the latest model which may be the last model made which he bought as a demo for a steal and we haul the full tow rating with it regularly (tri-axle trailer full of building supplies like plaster, bricks, timber and steel). Drives great, not bad on fuel and has plenty of bells and whistles. It drives more like a car than a SUV.

I personally have a Toyota Landcruiser 4wd and wouldn't swap it for anything but it wont suit everyone, drives more like a car than a 4wd and I have driven a lot of different utes and 4wd vehicles.
Thanks. TBH Im pretty happy staying with the Pajero. It pulls like a train, feels like a car to drive and is reasonably economical. With the kids gone though Im just considering something smaller thats easier to get around town. Also agree about Euro costs although I think this can be set off quite a bit by chasing up non-genuine parts that probably came from the same factory.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:59 AM
Big Bream

Mate of mine had a territory, ran well and towed great. He swapped over to a diesel outlander and it runs better than the territory on fuel, loses a bit of power with the smaller engine. He tows a 5.5 mtr streaker with a half cabin. Would be heavier than your blue fin.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:24 PM
Blue Lip

I have a petrol territory that tows my 515 Makocraft Frenzy very easily.

I would stay away from a front wheel drive vehicle, seen a few messy sights with people who have had them trying to get up a boat ramp.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:45 PM
Blue Lip

I saw a few Toyota RAV4 diesels on the road. You may want to check them out.

I would have suggested a Prado but I guess you would want something smaller than that.

Monster Miki Addict
Old 03-10-2016, 06:57 PM
Mature Bream

Subaru-forester or outback?

Both awd, try to avoid the front wheel drive electro magnetic clutch awd cars as they can be trouble down the track.
Constant awd is better but less fuel efficient.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:36 AM
Mature Bream

Thanks guys. All useful replies. I don't change cars often, had the Pajero for 10 years now, so I tend to rush slowly towards a new car. Will do some more driving and thinking

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: