Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 07-04-2017, 11:26 PM
Blue Lip

I use a bait caster for most of my yakking, but not landbased fishing. I find them soooo accurate when casting at snags and structure from the water, but from the land to a snag is a totally different story.

I make my own baitcaster rods and can easily cast a 1/8 jighead, so weight isn't really an issue. It's more a matter of the different approaches to snags and structure. Also the surrounding trees and other hazards play a big part in choosing a weapon...I'll always carry a spin setup with me on the yak, just in case.

From the land I find I tend to "lob" the lure at a snag, which is difficult with a baitcaster (for me), so I use a spin setup. Whereas I find the lob technique is way less accurate from the yak (sitting) using a spin setup, so I use the baitcaster, allowing me way more control with the placement.

That's the way it is for me, though I'm sure there are plenty who disagree.

Stihl..ms200-088 mag
Petzl..hardware
Buckingham.. harness and spurs
Fireline...ropes

PB.Hard. 46 mtr Mountain Ash
PB. Soft. 42 mtr Trifurcated Cypress
Old 08-04-2017, 01:24 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by t303 View Post
Geez, Rex Hunt, a blast from the past..... yibiddy bloody yibbida!
At least he made us look more intelligent on Wildfish!

The other benefit on a BC is that when your trophy fish is about to brick you and the panic scale hits 11+ you can clamp the thumb down and pray!
Us spin men refer to it as "palming the spool" (There a short example at 0.37)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 08-04-2017 at 01:27 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:33 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggo_1 View Post
I use a bait caster for most of my yakking, but not landbased fishing. I find them soooo accurate when casting at snags and structure from the water, but from the land to a snag is a totally different story.

I make my own baitcaster rods and can easily cast a 1/8 jighead, so weight isn't really an issue. It's more a matter of the different approaches to snags and structure. Also the surrounding trees and other hazards play a big part in choosing a weapon...I'll always carry a spin setup with me on the yak, just in case.

From the land I find I tend to "lob" the lure at a snag, which is difficult with a baitcaster (for me), so I use a spin setup. Whereas I find the lob technique is way less accurate from the yak (sitting) using a spin setup, so I use the baitcaster, allowing me way more control with the placement.

That's the way it is for me, though I'm sure there are plenty who disagree.
Yeah they make sense from a Yak -

I think one of the old reason for baitcasters was they had better drag systems in a smaller lighter package - is that still the case?
Old 08-04-2017, 04:42 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post

I think one of the old reason for baitcasters was they had better drag systems in a smaller lighter package - is that still the case?
Meh...... six of one.... etc.
If you lap the drag plates and use good washers I reckon you will get a similar result with either. The next step up is using thrust bearings etc but then you need the space, ala lever drag Penns or similar.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:21 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by t303 View Post
Meh...... six of one.... etc.
If you lap the drag plates and use good washers I reckon you will get a similar result with either. The next step up is using thrust bearings etc but then you need the space, ala lever drag Penns or similar.
Thanks for that t303
Old 08-04-2017, 07:04 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:

Yeah, really good drag, and spool control on the cast...all done with one hand.

I reckon 1000 casts using a baitcaster is a lot easier than 1000 casts on a spin setup. The ergonomics of a baitcaster setup seems to allow for a more natural body movement when casting. The spin setup uses a lot of wrist action when casting, whereas the baitcaster tends to use the whole arm.

Stihl..ms200-088 mag
Petzl..hardware
Fireline...ropes

Old 08-04-2017, 07:44 AM
Blue Lip

Learn to "flip" cast. You can become insanely accurate within a days practice, far more so than with spin gear. When I first learned how to do it I could land a lure in the filter box up the other end of my pool after an hour or so. It helps a lot if you cast and hold the rod in the same hand as well. Before long you'll be reaching for a short bc setup to use in the thick scrub because you won't need to accommodate for any back swing at all and having your thumb on the spool makes it very easy to halt a cast if you were ever to become overzealous with your flipping.

Last edited by stella fella; 08-04-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:01 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella fella View Post
Learn to "flip" cast. You can become insanely accurate within a days practice, far more so than with spin gear. When I first learned how to do it I could land a lure in the filter box up the other end of my pool after an hour or so. It helps a lot if you cast and hold the rod in the same hand as well. Before long you'll be reaching for a short bc setup to use in the thick scrub because you won't need to accommodate for any back swing at all and having your thumb on the spool makes it very easy to halt a cast if you were ever to become overzealous with your flipping.
Yeah, when I've watched those bass guys flipping short distances to the edge of reeds - the amount of ground they can cover very quickly is impressive -it looks like they are working twice as quick as an angler with spin tackle could

So I spose it depends on where you're casting from and how far away your target is - When I typed the initial question I was thinking of trying to cast to the other side of the river with limited back swing.

Last edited by yellow door 1; 08-04-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:03 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Yeah, really good drag, and spool control on the cast...all done with one hand.

I reckon 1000 casts using a baitcaster is a lot easier than 1000 casts on a spin setup. The ergonomics of a baitcaster setup seems to allow for a more natural body movement when casting. The spin setup uses a lot of wrist action when casting, whereas the baitcaster tends to use the whole arm.
Yeah I hear that - they are a pleasure to use
Old 09-04-2017, 11:22 PM
Mature Bream

Same boat as you Yellow, they're just too cool to avoid playing with! And i'll add a +1 to most people and say they are a PITA tight landbased fishing for me (very limited skills!) but i love it on my kayak.

I cast right handed and hold the rod in my right so its a very engaged way to fish and really efficient. For special cases like me though you will always get the Sh*ts with birds nests and think why do i bother at some stages haha. I went for a pretty 'BFS' style setup, Alphas SV and a majorcraft Volkey BFS and it makes casting down to 1/12 jigheads with a grub pretty simple.

Still do most of my light work with spin gear, but it's nice having the option and its great fun pulling stuff out of snags on them.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:10 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witha View Post
Same boat as you Yellow, they're just too cool to avoid playing with! And i'll add a +1 to most people and say they are a PITA tight landbased fishing for me (very limited skills!) but i love it on my kayak.

I cast right handed and hold the rod in my right so its a very engaged way to fish and really efficient. For special cases like me though you will always get the Sh*ts with birds nests and think why do i bother at some stages haha. I went for a pretty 'BFS' style setup, Alphas SV and a majorcraft Volkey BFS and it makes casting down to 1/12 jigheads with a grub pretty simple.

Still do most of my light work with spin gear, but it's nice having the option and its great fun pulling stuff out of snags on them.
Yeah I have sessions where a baitcaster could be used no problem - but every time my lure smacks into a branch or reed while casting - I thank the lord I'm using spin gear

Last edited by yellow door 1; 10-04-2017 at 03:15 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:36 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Yeah I have sessions where a baitcaster could be used no problem - but every time my lure smacks into a branch or reed while casting - I thank the lord I'm using spin gear
...and there is no bigger pain in the a$$ than a birdsnest with 15lb braid, in a fast flowing river, in a kayak, your $30 Siglett is still in the snag, and you're trying to sort it all out while heading downstream...

Stihl..ms200-088 mag
Petzl..hardware
Fireline...ropes

Old 10-04-2017, 04:55 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
...and there is no bigger pain in the a$$ than a birdsnest with 15lb braid, in a fast flowing river, in a kayak, your $30 Siglett is still in the snag, and you're trying to sort it all out while heading downstream...
I use fireline crystal and spin gear - so I dont even know what a "wind knot" looks like up close
Old 10-04-2017, 06:30 AM
Mature Bream

yep, palming the spool comes in handy for those bastard trevs making a beeline for pylons.
I saw this technique taken to another level during a $10 kmart rod carp comp - the drag on those plastic reels has 2 settings, locked up or loosen by itself until spool pops off so one of the guys went the locked up option but flicked the anti-reverse and then used the palm to slow the rotor when the fish ran...landed a 6kg+ carp - greatest bit angling I have ever witnessed.

Quote:
Us spin men refer to it as "palming the spool"
Old 10-04-2017, 12:22 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2020 View Post
yep, palming the spool comes in handy for those bastard trevs making a beeline for pylons.
I saw this technique taken to another level during a $10 kmart rod carp comp - the drag on those plastic reels has 2 settings, locked up or loosen by itself until spool pops off so one of the guys went the locked up option but flicked the anti-reverse and then used the palm to slow the rotor when the fish ran...landed a 6kg+ carp - greatest bit angling I have ever witnessed.
Yeah I find carp are one of those fish that require regular on the spot innovating

Last edited by yellow door 1; 15-04-2017 at 10:04 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: