Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Old 25-02-2016, 11:44 PM
Fingerling

Jetty Bream?

Hello all

I'm new to the forum and the bream-on-lures world, but have fished for bream on bait with reasonable results for a while now.

And I was wondering how do catch bream off public jetties/piers (landbased) in the terms of lures (prefer soft plastics), tides, time of year, etc.

I know its quite a "novice" question and you guys on this forum may get questions from "fingerlings" every day that never return to the site, but any help would be much appreciated and i'll return the favour sometime

Last edited by curranboy99; 25-02-2016 at 11:45 PM. Reason: write up mistake
Old 26-02-2016, 01:27 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by curranboy99 View Post
Hello all

I'm new to the forum and the bream-on-lures world, but have fished for bream on bait with reasonable results for a while now.

And I was wondering how do catch bream off public jetties/piers (landbased) in the terms of lures (prefer soft plastics), tides, time of year, etc.

I know its quite a "novice" question and you guys on this forum may get questions from "fingerlings" every day that never return to the site, but any help would be much appreciated and i'll return the favour sometime
If you can see the bream and they can see you, and their body language changes after they have seen you - they're going to be much harder to catch.

They can hear/feel your footsteps aswell, so if you know there is a dodgy plank on the pier that clunks when you step on it - dont step on it

The guru who taught me would never let himself be seen by the bream - the only thing the bream would see is the very tip of his rod poking out over the jetty. He would also only step on the rivets that held the planks down just in case one of them rattled. He would also glide around like a tai chi master. He watched every footstep and placed his feet softly and deliberately everytime.

You should have seen him fume when tourists clunked over and stuck their heads over the edge

This problem of your presence being felt is accentuated the closer the jetty is to the water - if its 1 meter off, I suggest maximum stealth - if its 4m, small mistakes will be forgiven.

Try to target jetties that receive little foot traffic or angling pressure. Choose times of day when noone is there - Bream take lures well after dark - they will take them at midnight and beyond.

These rules can be thrown out the window once your stealth is honed. Once you've learnt to sneak around you can start sneaking a peak over the edge. Theres nothing more fun than watching a big bream inch his way towards your lure with his pectoral fins. But its very important you havent spooked the big fella first with a clumsy approach. Small fish will let you get away with murder but the big ones dont.

Pay special attention to the vertical pylons - thousands of bream have been caught by dropping a baby vibe right next to a pylon and letting it drift down to the bottom on a slack line. All you have to do is watch your line. A huge percentage of takes are on the drop. If your line stops or speeds up - strike.

There's millions of way to work a Jetty and I'm sure other blokes will let you know of different lures and approaches. But using a "strike pro vibe" or a "River to Sea" "baby vibe" is about as easy as it gets where I come from.

I'll hunt around for a great little video done by a breammaster member about how to do it - but until I find it - heres something I prepared earlier Blades can be good in winter in really deep water

Old 26-02-2016, 01:34 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
If you can see the bream and they can see you, and their body language changes after they have seen you - they're going to be much harder to catch.
This ^

I terms of lures I'd use a micro vibe, Damiki monster miki, Zman grub. Fish plastics on a as light jighead as possible without impairing their action.

And obviously the mighty Cranka crab

Monster Miki Addict
Old 26-02-2016, 01:37 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Another phenomenal lure to use around a jetty is a gulp sand worm with a stinger in the tail. Noone seems to use them any more coz they arent that cool. But the bream still eat them.

This is a mojiko worm with a stinger hook in the tail - They dont sell these lures anymore but they're almost identical to a gulp sandworm. Make sure you use a stinger in the tail - 99.6% of fish hooked, hit the tail if you do a shakey retrieve to imitate a swimming sand worm.

Last edited by yellow door 1; 26-02-2016 at 01:40 AM.
Old 26-02-2016, 01:45 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
This ^

I terms of lures I'd use a micro vibe, Damiki monster miki, Zman grub. Fish plastics on a as light jighead as possible without impairing their action.

And obviously the mighty Cranka crab
Yeah - I'm a massive tight arse so I wont even borrow a cranka crab when I'm getting out fished 10 to nothing. But in the right hands - A cranka crab is a bream pulling machine. Quite often, the less you do after it hits the bottom - the better. Cast out - let it hit the bottom - count to 30 - and only strike before 30 if you notice your line move
Old 26-02-2016, 01:47 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Dammit - I cant find a link to that video in the Docks that Ross did - if anyone can find it - stick it up - its a perfect intro to fishing jetty pylons
Old 26-02-2016, 01:58 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Fish plastics on a as light jighead as possible without impairing their action.
This^

Alex doesnt always give secrets away, but when he does - they're worth listening to. If you have a lure that plummets to the bottom faster than the prey item you are trying to imitate - you better hope the bream are switched on that day

Lots of blokes get whacked on the drop while using lures that dive to the bottom fast (metal blades in 10 meters of water for instance)- but for consistency on mid-water strikes - my brain tells me to use something that falls at approximately the same speed as a crab....mussel shell....... chip from the fish and chip shop...... or injured bait fish.

I've had sessions turned around by switching to a lighter jighead on alot of different species

Last edited by yellow door 1; 26-02-2016 at 02:04 AM.
Old 26-02-2016, 03:28 AM
Fingerling

Thanks heaps guys, much appreciated

Next thing to do is hunt around the Brisbane area and try and find a jetty that doesn't get fished as hard and give it crack with plastics and techniques suggested.

Thanks again
Old 26-02-2016, 04:51 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Thanks heaps guys, much appreciated

Next thing to do is hunt around the Brisbane area and try and find a jetty that doesn't get fished as hard and give it crack with plastics and techniques suggested.

Thanks again
Take what I've said with a grain of salt - blokes have totally ignored stealth and smashed bream right in front of my eyes.

But if you arent born with a retrieve that gets bream no matter what - you might have to get sneaky
Old 26-02-2016, 05:21 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Take what I've said with a grain of salt - blokes have totally ignored stealth and smashed bream right in front of my eyes.

But if you arent born with a retrieve that gets bream no matter what - you might have to get sneaky
thanks again yellow door for the information, I guess i'm going to have to get sneaky the bream seem to quite dislike my retrieves apart from the odd one that committed suicide taking a berkley sand worm or squidgy wriggler

I know what your saying about fishers ingoring stealth and smashing big fish as last week at a crowded timber boardwalk in Brisbane a guy was smashing around on the boardwalk dropping whole supermarket prawns to the bottom on sz2 ball sinkers and ripped out a few sizeable bream and the water depth was only a 4 feet, I guess some people have extreme good luck
Old 26-02-2016, 06:09 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
thanks again yellow door for the information, I guess i'm going to have to get sneaky the bream seem to quite dislike my retrieves apart from the odd one that committed suicide taking a berkley sand worm or squidgy wriggler

I know what your saying about fishers ingoring stealth and smashing big fish as last week at a crowded timber boardwalk in Brisbane a guy was smashing around on the boardwalk dropping whole supermarket prawns to the bottom on sz2 ball sinkers and ripped out a few sizeable bream and the water depth was only a 4 feet, I guess some people have extreme good luck
Dont get me wrong - Bream are idiots when you feed them what they usually eat - I dont suppose I'm breaking new ground when telling you that.

Your experiences with bait, may give you the impression that they will be a piece of piss to catch on lures - and in your area they may be - I've been to QLD and couldnt get over how easy it is to catch a fish up there.

But if you struggle to get them on lures when first starting out - stealth is something to consider Bream will feed with reckless abandon until they think something isnt quite right.

Last edited by yellow door 1; 26-02-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 26-02-2016, 06:19 AM
Fingerling

Quote:
Dont get me wrong - Bream are idiots when you feed them what they usually eat - I dont suppose I'm breaking new ground when telling you that.

Your experiences with bait, may give you the impression that they will be a piece of piss to catch on lures - and in your area they may be - I've been to QLD and couldnt get over how easy it is to catch a fish up there. Your fish are suicidal compared to down south

But if you struggle when first starting out - stealth is something to consider
I guess bream really are idiots when feeding them what they ussualy eat and thinking about last week there was tinnys casting for prawns all along the stretch of river and the local fishing report said there were banana prawns getting caught there, the breams were for certain thinking "easy meal" but still wondering about the bait anchored to the bottom in 4 feet of water.

But based on what you've said i'm thinking if follow the southern tactics i.e. steath, very light lures sinking at the pace of a injured bait fish or chip I should do a lot better rather than making big casts across flats with 1/12oz jigheads and fishing rather aggressively like flathead fishing
Old 26-02-2016, 07:28 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
They can hear/feel your footsteps aswell, so if you know there is a dodgy plank on the pier that clunks when you step on it - dont step on it
I can foresee your next build "Stealth Shoes"...
Old 26-02-2016, 07:36 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
I guess bream really are idiots when feeding them what they ussualy eat and thinking about last week there was tinnys casting for prawns all along the stretch of river and the local fishing report said there were banana prawns getting caught there, the breams were for certain thinking "easy meal" but still wondering about the bait anchored to the bottom in 4 feet of water.

But based on what you've said i'm thinking if follow the southern tactics i.e. steath, very light lures sinking at the pace of a injured bait fish or chip I should do a lot better rather than making big casts across flats with 1/12oz jigheads and fishing rather aggressively like flathead fishing
Yeah - if you dont need to use finesse to catch bream - I highly recommended against it - its a pain in the arse

Do what you've got to do to catch what you want to catch - and if you arent catching enough - just chuck out a prawn
Old 26-02-2016, 07:39 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slazmo View Post
I can foresee your next build "Stealth Shoes"...
I usually use live baby rabbits and duct tape - but the intestines stain the arch of my foot