Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Lines

Lines Fireline vs the rest…who wins?

Old 24-11-2017, 10:26 AM
Fingerling

fluorocarbon straight though around snags...?

Hi everybody just wondering if anybody uses straight through fc 3-6Lb to throw hard-bodies at structure for Bream?
I have read alot of people on bm like to use 2-3Lb fc straight through to fish the flats, which is good for them but most of my fishing is fishing into structure with the kayak.
Dont have any fc setups and thought of this idea to make my gear more versatile. Any ideas?

Thanks any reply is helpful
Old 24-11-2017, 05:17 PM
Big Bream

Fishing the snags with FC only is a great option. FC is usually fairly abrasion resistant, which makes it ideal for snaggy environments. Distance casting isn't required, so longer casting braid isn't required. Plus it makes lure changing much quicker and more convenient when you get a break off, especially if it breaks at the leader/braid knot. It also does away with the possibility of having a faulty and weak leader/braid knot.
Old 27-11-2017, 01:06 AM
Poddy Bream

Flurocarbon line is expensive, negating the abrasion resistance.but having said that it does have a useful characteristic......it sinks faster than braid or mono so is my pick for suspending bream lure fishing.
Old 27-11-2017, 10:55 PM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot View Post
Fishing the snags with FC only is a great option. FC is usually fairly abrasion resistant, which makes it ideal for snaggy environments. Distance casting isn't required, so longer casting braid isn't required. Plus it makes lure changing much quicker and more convenient when you get a break off, especially if it breaks at the leader/braid knot. It also does away with the possibility of having a faulty and weak leader/braid knot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sBlackjabiru View Post
Flurocarbon line is expensive, negating the abrasion resistance.but having said that it does have a useful characteristic......it sinks faster than braid or mono so is my pick for suspending bream lure fishing.
Thanks for the reply and the input on the fluorocarbon line, i think ill put it on a spare spool and see how it goes. As for "fluorocarbon line being expensive" i dont know where your getting this from, i have seen it down to $21 for 200yds.
Old 28-11-2017, 01:10 AM
Blue Lip

I have been using 3lb Yamatoyo Famell Spinning Fluorocarbon for a few years now, can't fault it.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:20 PM
Mature Bream

I use straight through FC all the time when fishing racks or barnacle encrusted pylons, where your a chance of getting wrapped up. Lost too many good fish to chance FC in these areas.

It is even more important in a yak, as a good fish has a chance of towing you in to the nasty stuff and it is a lot more difficult to control, then standing on a boat deck.
Old 18-12-2017, 07:43 PM
Blue Lip

I reckon it’s a good idea just go up to 4 or 5lb and you may lose a bit of cast distance but probably not an issue when fishing snags.
I’ve got a 2-4kg/ 2506 rod reel combo with 4lb straight thru and throw it into snags so far so good.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: