Go Back   Bream Master Forums > National SportFishing Scene > NSW Scene

Old 14-01-2004, 01:13 AM
Fingerling

where to start?

G'day all

Just a quick question on how to go about getting into a bream fishing comp as a non boater. I live in Nth Sydney and would really like to have a crack at the comps and maybe learn something in the process.

Any advice you guys could give me would be great.
Cheers
Dan
Old 14-01-2004, 04:43 AM
Poddy Bream

HOw long have u been spinning for? If u've been spinning for less thatn a year or you havn been to successful on bream with lures, it's not worth spending $100 just to learn a little. DOn't get me wrong, you will learn plenty and if you've got the money spend it, but my opinion is to become more confident with your bream spinning. That's my excuse orelse i would be fishing most comps this season.
These sites should help you get where u want;
fishingmonthly.com.au
bream.com.au
and check out the fishingmonthly magazines.

DAN
Old 14-01-2004, 05:13 AM
Your Friendly Moderator

Sorry Dan, I have to dissagree

You will learn more in two days fishing with some good Bream spinners, than you will on your own in a year - trust me, I think we were all there at one stage.

Most of the guys that I know who are starting to get good only got that way through spending time on the water with others, either through comps, or casual fishing expeditions.

Don't get me wrong, luck of the draw certainly plays a part and you could end up fishing with a beginner boater - but the weigh in and social events afterwards give you a great opportunity to pick some of the guru's brains - and most are pretty approachable.

Another way to look at it is to ask yourself how much you would pay to fish with the likes of Starlo, Tim the Bream, Buschy etc and pick their brains for 7 hours one on one? $100 is pretty cheap.

Dan K, the best bet is to pick up a copy of the Tournament Guide at your local newsagency, have a good read through, and decide if it's for you - this year non-boaters make the grand final with a chance to win a boat and all you have to do is finish in the top 4 non-boaters in any event to qualify, plenty of guys did this last year in their first comp

Hope this helps,

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!

Team BreamMaster Member
Old 14-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Fingerling

Hi Dave

Thanks for the great advice, i am pretty keen to start comp. fishing, i may suck at first but i reckon i'll get there. I'll have a look at those mags you said to look at.

Thanks again
Dan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: