Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Getting Started

Getting Started If you’re new to the Sport then this is the forum for you.

Old 22-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Blue Lip

Bang ..bang.. bang head.. smash lures .. gnash teeth

breathe .... in with hate... .out with love ... breathe.....

Right.

So had a lunch session and I put my walking shoes on and left my usual stomping grounds.

On my travels I come across at 3 different times what I will describe as 3 packs of horses. I've never seen bream so big.

Now - when I presented my 25mm of yumminess to them they went nuts and I can only describe it as a fish fight.

The issue: I ended up with 3 dropped fish. The first was on for at least 3 seconds before the lure pinged out. The last two well ... lots of bumps on the line and the micro vibe was in the middle of a melee of 4 or 5 fish ... strike ... nothing.

Exciting. Yes. Frustrating. Very. I waited til I saw a 'tick'/bmp on the line then struck. I didn't let them hang around with it.

As always, I look to the breammasters to tell me .... is there something I can fix in my technique or is that just fishing? Should I have let them have the lure for longer before striking?
Old 22-01-2014, 10:33 PM
Big Bream

Possibly blunt hooks?
Old 22-01-2014, 10:44 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
Should I have let them have the lure for longer before striking?
Only 1 way to find out. Try it next time you get a chance.
Old 22-01-2014, 10:57 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by olistevo View Post
Possibly blunt hooks?
Brand new owner stbc-36 trebles so hopefully can rule that out.

I'm thinking its more of an issue with the timing of my strike than equipment - thanks for you input though
Old 22-01-2014, 11:06 PM
Blue Lip

If you've felt the tick and struck provided not too hard, then its all part of the game.
Old 23-01-2014, 12:11 AM
Mature Bream

Bream: 3, Sloth: 0

You should be glad to have such excitement in your lunch break!

You'll get em next time...
Old 23-01-2014, 02:00 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody1971 View Post
You should be glad to have such excitement in your lunch break!
I know - I should quit whining. Amazing seeing them fight for the lure. More amazing I managed to miss a hook up - lol.

I think Piscateur is right though. If anything I think a slightly softer drag on the first but otherwise - thems the breaks.
Old 23-01-2014, 02:17 AM
Mature Bream

You're doin it right, sometimes youll pin them and sometimes not. Im with piscateur "its part of the game". I was there yesterday, dropped two good ones(both destroyed the trebles) and hooked one.
Old 23-01-2014, 02:41 AM
Blue Lip

I guess one other question .... I also had a number of follows where the bream went after the dropping vibe and both went out of sight below the depth of water clarity. I think in that situation you just let the lure keep falling yeah?

I couldn't seem to convert follows to strikes. It was kind of entertaining - there was a temporary platform on the water. Every cast to it would cause a couple or more bream to appear from underneath it and follow the lure. Regular as clockwork but they seemed content just to follow it. Switched from a micro vibe to a shinku and the following stopped. They know what they like
Old 23-01-2014, 03:04 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Brand new owner stbc-36 trebles so hopefully can rule that out.

I'm thinking its more of an issue with the timing of my strike than equipment - thanks for you input though
Something you may want to be aware of:

Quote:
The Micro Vibe will flutter on the drop and lift.This is one of the reasons it has the Owner ST 11s on it as the ST36BCs are to heavy and counter-balance the lure.
http://www.breammaster.com/forum/sho...1&postcount=30
Old 23-01-2014, 03:31 AM
Blue Lip

Yeah ... I'd read that too but I only had the 36s as replacements after the originals were destroyed. I've caught fish with the 36 equipped vibe so it still works ... hard to know if I miss fish though ... Probably need to get some lighter gauge 11s - only downside is they don't last long.
Old 23-01-2014, 04:26 AM
Mature Bream

Quote:
Yeah ... I'd read that too but I only had the 36s as replacements after the originals were destroyed. I've caught fish with the 36 equipped vibe so it still works ... hard to know if I miss fish though ... Probably need to get some lighter gauge 11s - only downside is they don't last long.
mate, what line are you using? is it flouro straight through or braid? IMO, you have to use braid so you can easily detect if the fish mouthed your lure and it makes the micros drop a bit slowly. When I drop a micro vibe I always lay a line on top of the water(braid floats) its a strike indicator, and when I see the braid stops from sinking/moving, its an indicator that the fish took the lure and thats where you set the hook (just slightly lift your rod) and hope that the fish will be hooked properly.
Old 23-01-2014, 04:49 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubuli View Post
mate, what line are you using? is it flouro straight through or braid? IMO, you have to use braid so you can easily detect if the fish mouthed your lure and it makes the micros drop a bit slowly. When I drop a micro vibe I always lay a line on top of the water(braid floats) its a strike indicator, and when I see the braid stops from sinking/moving, its an indicator that the fish took the lure and thats where you set the hook (just slightly lift your rod) and hope that the fish will be hooked properly.
8lb super PE braid in this case - though I do sometimes fish them on 5lb fc straight-thru. Slightly lift your rod eh? Hmmm ... Was thinking on piscateurs comment earlier as well. Might need to tone my strike down a bit I think
Old 23-01-2014, 05:33 AM
Poddy Bream

I wonder for a lure such as this if using an extra split ring on the treble would improve hook up rate? I use double split rings on some lures which seems to help.

Camo
Old 23-01-2014, 05:54 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camo88 View Post
I wonder for a lure such as this if using an extra split ring on the treble would improve hook up rate? I use double split rings on some lures which seems to help.

Camo
Funny you say that .... I was musing on experimenting with removing the treble entirely and just putting a pair of single stinger hooks on there. Might see how it swims in a bucket first tho ....