Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Bream Anglers Tavern

Bream Anglers Tavern Drop in here if you're just surfing with a beer in your hand. Good place to just hang out...

Old 13-09-2018, 06:14 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr perch View Post
I nearly always leave them in overnight but on the occasions when they were checked early the results were still the same, predators are not an issue as the results never varied in any of the waters i tried .. with shags and turtles or without
Yeah interesting - were you using the opera house nets with the open mesh mouth or 75mm ring or 50mm ring opening.

And when you say the nets were checked early - roughly how long had they been soaking for.
Old 13-09-2018, 06:28 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow door 1 View Post
Yeah interesting - were you using the opera house nets with the open mesh mouth or 75mm ring or 50mm ring opening.

And when you say the nets were checked early - roughly how long had they been soaking for.
The operas are open mesh and i've checked both types at all different intervals .. 2 hours, 4 hours, 8 hours, overnight ... even been left for a couple of days for the same result
Old 13-09-2018, 06:58 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
The operas are open mesh and i've checked both types at all different intervals .. 2 hours, 4 hours, 8 hours, overnight ... even been left for a couple of days for the same result
Thanks for all that - you've saved me a long night staring at a chop

Based on your findings - do you find the longer you soak - the bigger the margin between the traps.

ie after 2 hours the opera house net catches 25% more - but after a full day and night it catches 75% more.

Last edited by yellow door 1; 13-09-2018 at 07:05 AM.
Old 13-09-2018, 08:04 PM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Thanks for all that - you've saved me a long night staring at a chop

Based on your findings - do you find the longer you soak - the bigger the margin between the traps.

ie after 2 hours the opera house net catches 25% more - but after a full day and night it catches 75% more.
No not really, although i did find that the open top net did perform a little better in deeper water than shallow water
Old 13-09-2018, 09:00 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
No not really, although i did find that the open top net did perform a little better in deeper water than shallow water
Thanks for all that - pleasure to converse with a man who appreciates the finer points of Yabbying.
Old 14-09-2018, 08:42 PM
Big Bream

Kids love yabbying
And if you get them involved they even love to race each other to see who can shell them the quickest while you have a beer and time them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yabbie.JPG (69.6 KB, 69 views)
Old 14-09-2018, 11:12 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastbrimin View Post
Kids love yabbying
And if you get them involved they even love to race each other to see who can shell them the quickest while you have a beer and time them
Yeah I never really grew out of it - Great Yabby shelling hack - we used to get kids at the camping ground fighting over which one could stack our beer eskies the neatest.

Extra points were given if all the labels were facing up and in perfect alignment
Old 20-10-2018, 04:31 AM
Blue Lip

I got a good feed last weekend but the new nets are fu@@ing useless ... this time it was 30 to one
Old 20-10-2018, 05:23 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
I got a good feed last weekend but the new nets are fu@@ing useless ... this time it was 30 to one
Damn - thats no good - Its hard to see why they're that bad. Apart from not trapping every yabbie that enters - is there anything else about those traps that you reckon is a problem.

And where do you secure the bait in those traps - ie do you tie it to the bottom or suspend it so it isnt touching the bottom of the net

Last edited by yellow door 1; 20-10-2018 at 05:27 AM.
Old 20-10-2018, 06:18 AM
Big Bream

Was that 30:1 platypuses or yabbies?

I really hope people don’t see their yabbie count as an important factor in whether they should comply with the rules. I get that the old ones catch more yabbies, but that’s hardly the point when we know the damage they cause to platypuses and other creatures. We could all catch more fish using dynamite or by netting rivers but we don’t do it because the catch doesn’t outweigh the damage those methods cause. Throw out the operas and stick with the crappy ones.

Last edited by Cortinaboy; 20-10-2018 at 07:01 AM.
Old 20-10-2018, 09:08 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortinaboy View Post

I really hope people don’t see their yabbie count as an important factor in whether they should comply with the rules. I get that the old ones catch more yabbies, but that’s hardly the point when we know the damage they cause to platypuses and other creatures. We could all catch more fish using dynamite or by netting rivers but we don’t do it because the catch doesn’t outweigh the damage those methods cause. Throw out the operas and stick with the crappy ones.
I imagine Mr Perch in using his traps in private waters which is still legal until July 1st 2019 - Some farm dams have never had and will never have water rats and platypus in them, which is why I believe the regulations allowing opera house nets in private waters existed.

But the tempation to use them in public waters is pretty strong, so I imagine thats why they're getting rid of them completely - Its not because they cant be used responsibly - Its because you cant trust everyone to be responsible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 275.jpg (160.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 274.jpg (169.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 20-10-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 22-10-2018, 01:48 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Damn - thats no good - Its hard to see why they're that bad. Apart from not trapping every yabbie that enters - is there anything else about those traps that you reckon is a problem.

And where do you secure the bait in those traps - ie do you tie it to the bottom or suspend it so it isnt touching the bottom of the net
I've got no idea why they are so crappy at catching .. but they are. I just tie the bait with the string provided, same with the old operas
Old 22-10-2018, 01:55 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortinaboy View Post

I have never and will never use operas in waters where platypus live and when the new rules come in i'll abide by them as i hope everyone else does.
When the law changes i'll most likely go back to using drop nets, at least when time permits
Old 22-10-2018, 10:22 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
I've got no idea why they are so crappy at catching .. but they are. I just tie the bait with the string provided, same with the old operas
Yeah my only thought is if they can access the bait from underneath - they wont climb the walls - but i'm nots sure where the bait goes - if it is strapped to the bottom - maybe adding a float to the bait bag would stop them trying to access it from underneath

Last edited by yellow door 1; 24-10-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:57 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Hey Mr Perch - if you are still here - I was running some tests with open trays of food last night - turns out it doesnt take long for yabbies to fill up and lose interest in baits.

After 45mins nearly all the yabbies in this little bit of pond were full and had lost interest. So those open traps may work better if checked at 20 minute intervals. And use a bait holding device that only lets out scent so they cant gorge themselves

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: