Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Setting Up Your Gear

Setting Up Your Gear Drop in here for tips on setting up your rod, reel, line, leader etc.

Old 08-01-2003, 07:49 PM
Big Bream

Soft plastics Seperate or Together ?

Hi All,

Is it strictly necessary to keep different brands/colours of soft plastics seperated.

I've read that if you don't they will bleed and blend together, but in heaps of photo's in fishin' mags they show tackle boxes with all the plastics mixed together.

What do you guys do?

Jim
Old 08-01-2003, 07:57 PM
Poddy Bream

I keep mine seperate in either one of my many tackles boxes or in their own packaging. The majority of plastics will bleed, which is a great way to create new and exciting colours but I like to this in a controlled way. Some of the colours are tops already and I see no benefit in changing them by mixing in other colours.

I threw a heap of different sample grubs into one comparment recently. They were a mix of 'undesirable' colours and a few 'ok' ones, in about 4 weeks they were all roughly the same colour, a sort of Chartreuse with red through them.

Cheers
Matt
Old 08-01-2003, 08:55 PM
Fingerling

I keep all of my softies in the bags they come in when purchased.

Some brands wont bleed but in my books its not worth the risk of wrecking plastics you paid good money for.

Be careful also if putting them into a tackle box or alike make sure it is worm proof because some plastics will actually eat your tackle box
Old 09-01-2003, 04:11 AM
Your Friendly Moderator

I do the same... just leave them in their original packaging and you'll never have a problem.

I picked up a Decor sandwich style container that is just wider than a packet of plastics - holds about 30 or so bags all up, I've now got 4 of them......

Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life!

Team BreamMaster Member
Old 09-01-2003, 05:12 AM
The Angry Administrator

Dave,

So you don`t use plano boxes either??... do you find the plastics change at all over itme in a plano box. I mean the real impregnated ones, will they dry out and be less effective , Ive got a habit of taking them all out??

Cheers

Richo
Old 09-01-2003, 05:59 AM
Your Friendly Moderator

Richo I've got 1 Plano box full of Sliders, it was from the first load I brought in from the U.S. (before BreamMaster ) and in my enthusiasm thought it would be the best way to go.

I regret it now, as I have some other plastics from the same era, in their own bags, and they are holding up much better.

The ones in the Plano seem to have dried up a bit, and have lost a bit of colour - they definitely don't look as good as newies.

It can be a bit of fiddling around with the bags during a session, but if you keep them organised it's O.K. Plus, how many different types of plastics do you try in a session? When I get the one that works, I generally put it in the pocket of my fishing vest - very easy access.

I also try and set my vest up to have my 'voted most likely to succeed' plastics already in it - and if I'm getting desperate I delve back into the 'Decor' box, it's always within reach anyway.

It's a personal thing, you've just got to come up with something that works for you

Cheers,

Team BreamMaster Member
Old 09-01-2003, 06:25 AM
The Angry Administrator

Cheers for that Dave,

Ive got 2 plano`s full of softies, and as Im not using them as much - they seem to be coming out for the ride and 30 - 40 degree days have to take there toll somewhere along the line,

With where our fish are situated at the moment, Im finding hard bodies are definitly more productive. So I might have to start leaving them at home and just take out a few of me favourites in a small pack.

Ive noticed they`ve started to dry a touch, so i`ll have to put a bit of effort into there preservation I think (maybe back into the empty packets I have stored up). Too useful to let be destroyed.

Cheers

Richo
Old 10-01-2003, 06:58 AM
Poddy Bream

I heard of a good idea recently and that was to keep them in their packets and put them in the individual 'pages' of one of those CD wallets, you can get them for a couple of dollars at bargain style stores.

or

do what I do with the Plano style box and put a few drops of aniseed OIL in each compartment to keep them soft and lubricated. I did it a few months ago and they still look and feel good. I also put it in with the jigheads to stop rust.

Also acts as an attractant

Ozy
Old 12-01-2003, 10:31 AM
Mature Bream

Re:Richo

G'Day,
I think I have a similar setup for my plastics (plano trays/ box's)and the only effects I've seen is when I'm out for a while the colours of the darker ones (motoroil, pumpkinseed etc.) seem to go noticebly lighter eg motoroil to a lighter yellow/green.... Returned them into darkness till next fish and colours were back to normal, although im sure in the long run it cant be good 4 them. I have since blocked out light from the lid by simply covering the top with aluminium tape. The only ones I feel it is necessary to leave in packs are the scented plastics like the Squidgeys.
L8tr
Barry
Old 12-01-2003, 10:36 AM
Mature Bream

Talking

Re: Aniseed Oil
Sounds like a neat idea...maybe i'll experiment by adding some of that chumline stuff as well to a couple of plastics
Old 12-01-2003, 09:19 PM
Poddy Bream

Aniseed

Just be careful as to what you add to the soft plastics, some of the commercial scents can actually melt them

Ozy.
Old 13-01-2003, 03:42 AM
Mature Bream

Recently I went to BigW and saw a Pack that I think would be Ideal to hold soft plastics and keep them like new. It is Slightly bigger than a CD cover and has In built ziplock bags. The walls of the bags a very thick and there is a fair few bags. The Cover is zipped to open and close and is made of water resistant material.

I think it was only 10-20 dollars. The brand was No Limits.

I have got a No Limits tackle bag from Big W that I got for Christmas And I am very happy with it. It Came with 6 tackle boxes aswell. All I do is take the 1/2 boxes I need and I have ample room for other things.
Old 13-01-2003, 04:38 AM
Big Bream

Ozy, which of scents can melt the SP's ?

Jim
Old 13-01-2003, 04:59 AM
Your Friendly Moderator

Jim, most of the 'acetone' based scents (Spike-it etc.) will affect plastics in some way, but that's what they're designed to do - eat into the plastic a bit and embed the scent.

With some brands, different colours are affected differently.

They recommend a quick dip and only the tail, I've found most of the times I've melted or split a plastic I dipped it in for too long or too deep.

Don't be afraid to use them though, in certain situations they certainly help

Team BreamMaster Member
Old 13-01-2003, 04:21 PM
Poddy Bream

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave W
Jim, most of the 'acetone' based scents (Spike-it etc.) will affect plastics in some way, but that's what they're designed to do - eat into the plastic a bit and embed the scent.

With some brands, different colours are affected differently.

They recommend a quick dip and only the tail, I've found most of the times I've melted or split a plastic I dipped it in for too long or too deep.

Don't be afraid to use them though, in certain situations they certainly help
Jim,

I bet you didn't know I was a Ventriloquist did you, I said all that without moving my mouth..........oopps I mean fingers

Ozy.