Go Back   Bream Master Forums > General Bream Forums > Setting Up Your Gear

Setting Up Your Gear Drop in here for tips on setting up your rod, reel, line, leader etc.

Old 05-01-2003, 08:07 AM
Poddy Bream

Question trebles

Do you recomend changing the trebles on the lures you buy straight away to chemically sharpened ones ??

If so can you get them off bream master and what size should i use on lures about the size of oargees and gold shads when i receive them from bream master i have placed an order

Thank you
John
Old 05-01-2003, 08:27 AM
Mature Bream

john: i asked that same question a week ago and the general consenus was that you should change the trebles to gamas or owners whent the lure comes straight out of the box.

i have used the size 12 gamas (bought of this site) on my sneaky's. i think the size is good and i have done the same with my oar gees but i would probably buy size 10 next time as i have had a few bream straighten a couple of hooks.

i also like taking the middle treble off all together but there is mixed opinions on this.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:40 AM
Web Master

John, I do the same as Evan just posted. All trebles get changed immediately and the middle treble is removed. The difference chem sharp trebles make is similar to fishing with normal mono and then Fireline. Hits turn into hookups more often with chem sharps. One hook will normally last a session which I think is the best dollar you can spend.

I still prefer the Gamakatsu's now that I have tried some of the Owner trebles that some members have been pushing. I find the added strength of the Gama's to be a huge advantage. Whilst the Owner trebs are a bit cheaper, it's definately a case of getting what you pay for.

Size 12's are good for scorpions and Rebels, but I use 10's on Oargees and Attacks.

Hope this helps.

Warren.

Old 05-01-2003, 11:30 PM
The Angry Administrator

Hey Ev,

one for the middle treble removers Bear and Warren are firm believers in this.... But I know Craig S and Geoff P got quite a few fish down the Murray on Sat. And they were saying most were hooked by the middle treble and without it on - probably would have landed only half of them. Im now a firm believer in leaving them on although I hav`nt been removing them anyway. I don't think it makes a huge difference around snags because you feel the bib hit the structure then just let it to float over before bringing it deep again, and with decent sunnies you`ll see most snags as well. I can`t afford to lose a fish because I didn`t have that middle treble on.

Cheer

Richo
Old 06-01-2003, 12:08 AM
Fishing Tragic

Hi Richo, good to see you back.

I ALWAYS remove the front treble. The guys who have fished with me will tell you this makes little to no difference to the way the fish swims and has not effected my hook-up rate.

It makes a HUGE difference when fishing the snags, trust me.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BreamOnFly/
----------------------------------------------
http://www.breammaster.com/images/bea001.jpg
Old 06-01-2003, 12:59 AM
Blue Lip

Lads, I trialled a couple of new hards on the weekend and while I changed the rear treble stright off I said to Geoff I wasnt doing the middle because nothing ever hooked up there. Immediately following that statement we would have hooked 8 consecutive fish on the middle treble. Make of that what you will, but I'll be using and changing both in the future.

And as a comparison, Geoff used Owners and I used Gama 12's. Geoff straightened his Owners and the Gamas went the distance.

Geoff will tell you this is because of the size of the fish in the fight but
Old 06-01-2003, 01:22 AM
Mature Bream

true true

there is logic in your reasoning richo and craig- the results prove it

the main reason why i dont like fishing with the middle treble is that i find that they always hookup with the bottom trebble when you cast or sometime in the retrieve depending on how much you twitch your lure - its a real pain in the but and you cant catchfish- wrecks a good cast!

like bear i think that there is heaps more chance of snagged with the middle trebble! too

however perhaps all the hits that ive had might have resulted in hookups if the middle trebble was on?? who knows??
Old 06-01-2003, 03:15 AM
The Angry Administrator

Id take the odds of 1 out of 20 retrieves being snagged (im sure we havn`t snagged that much with both trebles) than dropping or missing every 3rd or 4th hit. Its each to there own really. If the trebles are linking on the cast try size 12`s, or mix m up 12 on the front and 10 on the back. Or as Warren and bear reccommend take the front one off, I havn`t been having that problem. And Ive taken a lot of twitchs out of my retrieve now, its now mainly a twitch to dive then the slowest retrieve possible causing the lures movement, with minimal slow twitchs (more of a speed up) I`d been struggling with my retrieve then watched one of the other lads Craig C, copied his retrieve and 2nd cast on.

Weve been out quite a bit in the last few weeks and at Geoffs insistance we make sure we have 2 quality trebles on each hardbody. Whether thats been making the difference for us in the last few weeks Im not sure (I didn`t have the Murray experience with the fella`s). I couldn`t say unless one of us fished without the middle treble which we arn`t game enough to do. Ive picked all the fellas brains over this and Im leaving mine on and making them gama`s. I also think the one treble could assit with the dropping of a fish or the fish spitting the treble. But don`t take my speel as gospel, there are pro`s and con`s for both. And if I start snagging heaps more you`ll find me having 2 of everything, 1 with and 1 without trebles.

Cheers

Richo

Last edited by Richo; 06-01-2003 at 03:19 AM.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:58 AM
Mature Bream

richo: we'll have to organise a murray trip and test both of the styles out then
Old 06-01-2003, 04:18 AM
The Angry Administrator

Research Initiated

Defintley, you gonna be using the 1 treble

Cheers

Richo
Old 06-01-2003, 04:58 AM
Mature Bream

certainly will!

another question guys

if the treble is straightened a little do you guys bend it back or replace the whole treble??

personally i would be more inclined to bend it back but would nt this result in a weaker hook - more breakoffs perhaps
Old 06-01-2003, 06:42 AM
Blue Lip

If its the front treble, just bend it back because nothing ever hooks up there anyway

Seriously. if its bent its buggered and needs replacing.
Old 06-01-2003, 08:34 AM
Poddy Bream

trebles advice

Hi guys

Thank you to all of you who gave me advice about trebles.

I will order some trebles off bream master and change them over trying not to hook my fingers too often

John
Old 07-01-2003, 02:57 AM
Mature Bream

I have never in over 20 years had a fish on the middle trebble.
But I have had lots of trouble with them tangling together.
Removing the middle one solved this! No more fouled casts!
Old 07-01-2003, 05:43 AM
Web Master

New Mustad Red Vanadium C/S trebles

I've just ordered 20 packs of the Mustad Red Vanadium Chem Sharp trebles guys. We've had a few requests for the coloured ones so they are going to hit the online store over the next week.

We are also getting the Dynatec split ring pliers. The are a great combination plier which retails around $24. I've had a pair of these for over two years now and they are great. They don't rust, have a great cutter on them and are strong.

I bend trebles back only if they are slightly bent, otherwise I replace it.

Cheers

Warren.