Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 17-08-2018, 01:12 AM
Mature Bream

Hot pink drag washers

OK it has taken a little courage to post this up so I hope it may benefit a few of the BM crew.
The drag washers in my Daiwa 2004 series reels have always been a bit of an issue to me. There is only one Felt washer which after a few months use compresses to a point that it loses the ability to perform smoothly. For years I have been ordering new washers from Daiwa at a cost which I always thought was outrageous. I had tried previously to cut my own carbon washers which worked but lacked the smoothness the felt washers had. At this point I would like to add that I am not a fanboy of any brand of reel, the same does happen in the Shimano gear I have but most of them are larger reels. It so happens all my smaller reels are Daiwa and so the problem seems to occur in the smaller only Daiwa reels, 2500 and up are OK as they have a bigger drag stack.
While wasting time in a Spotlight store some months ago while the wife looked at something unrelated I found myself in the craft section where I found literally hundreds of sheets and rolls of felt at less than $2 for an A4 size. I purchased 2 sheets of seemingly different density but same 1mm thickness. I punched out a couple of washers in both and installed them scissors will also work this user friendly felt. What a revelation it has been. The hot pink sheet I purchased has proven the best, it was a little more rigid and dense than the white I purchased. At this point we are a few months into use with at this point no sign of deterioration whereas the white softer sheet performed the same as the original purchased washers and has started to deteriorate.
So I run hot pink drag washers now although they are available in 30 different shades of different colours. This has been not only a huge cost saving but has taken a little work out of looking after my reels. As the felt washers fail in all of the reels we have irrespective of brand they will be replaced with this cheap felt which is easy to work and install no matter the size of the washer.
Old 17-08-2018, 02:18 AM
Blue Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevric View Post
The drag washers in my Daiwa 2004 series reels have always been a bit of an issue to me. There is only one Felt washer which after a few months use compresses to a point that it loses the ability to perform smoothly.
My TD SOL 2000 have 3 washers and they last much longer than a few months.

It must be a 2004-size design to have only 1 washer.

But thatnks for the tip. I might pay a local Spotlite a visit.

What do you use to punch the holes? A standard puncher or a special tool?

Cheers

Monster Miki Addict
Old 17-08-2018, 03:16 AM
Mature Bream

Hi Alex,
We just use a sharp punch to cut the holes both inner and outer. Do the outer circle first place the old washer over it and center it. Place the center hole punch in the center hole and take that out, all to easy. I use a pair of scissors on the outer circumference on some of my Shimano gear which have narrow washers.
I do not have any 2000 sized Daiwa reels but i can assure you the 4 2004 certates we own (2010 and 2013) have a single washer drag. They are as smooth as silk when the washers are in good nick but not so when they lose a little thickness due to normal use; they flatten out and distort a little but enough to worry me on the light lines we are using.
Old 17-08-2018, 05:07 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Nice hack Sevric - Spotlight used to be the business for cheap fishing tackle aswell - whiting beads and red tubing were about a 10th of the price at Spotlight

Last edited by yellow door 1; 17-08-2018 at 05:19 AM.
Old 17-08-2018, 10:09 PM
Mature Bream

Yeah one of the good things about this is that these felt sheets could be used for any reel that uses felt. The cost savings have been substantial but the ability to have a new washer installed in 10 minutes instead of trying to do business with spare part departments is a big bonus to me.
Old 18-08-2018, 01:41 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Yeah your last point cant be undervalued
Old 18-08-2018, 02:09 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

I had a quick look - Is this the stuff - the stiffened felt

https://www.spotlightstores.com/craf.../pre-cut-felts

p.s. can you post some pics of your cutting tools
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 629.jpg (140.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 628.jpg (81.9 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by yellow door 1; 18-08-2018 at 02:12 AM.
Old 18-08-2018, 04:50 AM
Mature Bream

I was luck i was in store and felt the stiffened and prefered that over the plain. Yep that is the stuff, might go the leopard skin look next time
Old 18-08-2018, 05:12 AM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
I was luck i was in store and felt the stiffened and prefered that over the plain. Yep that is the stuff, might go the leopard skin look next time
So many options

What sort of punch do you use?
Old 18-08-2018, 05:25 PM
Mature Bream

Hi Larry,
We use a big fat wad punch. I measured the sizes i needed to do my felt based reels and purchased the correct sizes from China (surprise!). Have attached a picture including the barcode numbers of the felt i thought was the best. Great to see you have been promoted to Unicorn.
20180819_071052 (2).jpg
Old 18-08-2018, 06:43 PM
Mature Bream

I recently got a Shimano Soare 2000, it has one fibre washer like some Daiwa reels, the drag was smooth but not super powerful. I decided to order a carbontex washer for it from the USA online, after installing with some Shimano drag grease it is very smooth, just as smooth as the original but more powerful.
I am happy enough with it now, I think it will be more than enough for the pissy fish I catch. Any reel I have with a carbontex drag has never needed the washers replacing again.
Interestingly the surface area of the single fibre washer in in the 2000 Soare is 2/3 of that of the 3 fibre washers in a 2500 size Stradic.
Old 18-08-2018, 11:51 PM
LEGEND Unicorn

Quote:
Hi Larry,
We use a big fat wad punch. I measured the sizes i needed to do my felt based reels and purchased the correct sizes from China (surprise!). Have attached a picture including the barcode numbers of the felt i thought was the best. Great to see you have been promoted to Unicorn.
Attachment 113932
Perfect - Thanks Mate
Old 19-08-2018, 11:51 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
My TD SOL 2000 have 3 washers and they last much longer than a few months.

It must be a 2004-size design to have only 1 washer.

But thatnks for the tip. I might pay a local Spotlite a visit.

What do you use to punch the holes? A standard puncher or a special tool?

Cheers
2000 Daiwa have 3 stack
All 2004 and 2506 is single felt washer. 2506 is obviously larger and a bit thicker as well.
2508 has multiple stack as well, cant remeber off the top of my head how many but i think its 3.
Old 19-08-2018, 11:58 PM
Big Bream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzza View Post
I recently got a Shimano Soare 2000, it has one fibre washer like some Daiwa reels, the drag was smooth but not super powerful. I decided to order a carbontex washer for it from the USA online, after installing with some Shimano drag grease it is very smooth, just as smooth as the original but more powerful.
I am happy enough with it now, I think it will be more than enough for the pissy fish I catch. Any reel I have with a carbontex drag has never needed the washers replacing again.
Interestingly the surface area of the single fibre washer in in the 2000 Soare is 2/3 of that of the 3 fibre washers in a 2500 size Stradic.
what grease have you used in the washer
all my carbon drag washers ended up making a black soot like mess in the drag stack, i assume due to std grease used.
i changed them all back to felt due to that.
also i had score marks on the backing plates from some larger than expected fish
Old 20-08-2018, 12:04 AM
Big Bream

Quote:
OK it has taken a little courage to post this up so I hope it may benefit a few of the BM crew.
The drag washers in my Daiwa 2004 series reels have always been a bit of an issue to me. There is only one Felt washer which after a few months use compresses to a point that it loses the ability to perform smoothly. For years I have been ordering new washers from Daiwa at a cost which I always thought was outrageous. I had tried previously to cut my own carbon washers which worked but lacked the smoothness the felt washers had. At this point I would like to add that I am not a fanboy of any brand of reel, the same does happen in the Shimano gear I have but most of them are larger reels. It so happens all my smaller reels are Daiwa and so the problem seems to occur in the smaller only Daiwa reels, 2500 and up are OK as they have a bigger drag stack.
While wasting time in a Spotlight store some months ago while the wife looked at something unrelated I found myself in the craft section where I found literally hundreds of sheets and rolls of felt at less than $2 for an A4 size. I purchased 2 sheets of seemingly different density but same 1mm thickness. I punched out a couple of washers in both and installed them scissors will also work this user friendly felt. What a revelation it has been. The hot pink sheet I purchased has proven the best, it was a little more rigid and dense than the white I purchased. At this point we are a few months into use with at this point no sign of deterioration whereas the white softer sheet performed the same as the original purchased washers and has started to deteriorate.
So I run hot pink drag washers now although they are available in 30 different shades of different colours. This has been not only a huge cost saving but has taken a little work out of looking after my reels. As the felt washers fail in all of the reels we have irrespective of brand they will be replaced with this cheap felt which is easy to work and install no matter the size of the washer.

Thanks for sharing.
Are you using just oil, or grease on these new felt washers?
Might give them a go next time instead of paying premium price from daiwa.

I did use carbon drag in all my luvias 2004 reels, but they left a sooty black buildup which I wasn’t happy with.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: