Go Back   Bream Master Forums > Bream Tackle > Reels

Reels Who’s using what, find out in here.

Old 27-07-2012, 04:11 AM
Poddy Bream

How do I know if it's saltwater safe?

Just wanting to know if there is an easy sure way of knowing if your reel is ok to use in saltwater or not.
I do alot of freshwater fishing but want to move into salt and before spending more money on new gear would like to check what I've got is ok or not.
I know steez reels aren't because they are magnesium or something.
Is there a site or something I should look in the description for to know?

Any help would be great.
Old 27-07-2012, 04:15 AM
Blue Lip

Steez bc are not sw safe but the spin are
Normally you refer to the manufacturers spec son there site

Last edited by smokindrags; 27-07-2012 at 04:20 AM.
Old 27-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Poddy Bream

Thanks, so basically most spin reels are fine it's just the baitcasters that you need to search specs?
Old 27-07-2012, 08:14 PM
Blue Lip

refer to manufacturers site

There other things but if you go with the above
One it's the best idea
Old 27-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Blue Lip

Just dunk it in salt water and you will soon know!
Old 28-07-2012, 02:35 AM
Poddy Bream

Dont think I like the idea of putting the gear in saltwater to find out but looks like I've got some searching to do
Old 28-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Blue Lip

I think the yank steezs were not salt friendly.
Old 28-07-2012, 08:19 AM
Blue Lip

There are a few points that you should consider to determine whether the reel is saltwater safe or not.

Body Material

Reels can be made of many materials such as aluminium, magnesium, graphite ect. Magnesium reels are the ones that you need to look out for, as raw magnesium corrodes readily when exposed to saltwater. "Freshwater only" magnesium reels simply have a coat of paint to protect the magnesium from saltwater exposure, if the paint is chipped or scratched, the raw magnesium in that area will most likely corrode. Manufacturers have attempted to overcome this problem by coating reels with "special" clear coats, but again if the paint is chipped or scratched to the point where raw magnesium is exposed, there is a high chance that it will corrode in that area.

Bearings and Other Components

These days, manufacturers such as Shimano have their ARB and S-ARB while Daiwa have their CRBB. These are bearings that are supposed to be more resistant to corrosion than standard stainless steel ball bearings. Manufacturers may say that reels without their special bearings are not saltwater safe. It is true that these special bearings are more corrosion resistant than standard stainless steel ball bearings, but it does not mean that stainless steel bearings will instantly corrode when exposed to saltwater. I've seen CRBB's corrode on one of my Daiwa reels. When ARB and CRBB technology wasn't yet introduced, reels with stainless steel bearings coped perfectly fine in saltwater conditions.

For baitcasting reels, some reels have magnesium spools to enhance casting performance. Saltwater can build up underneath the line on the spool, which can cause corrosion.

However, I personally think it comes down to how you maintain your reel. Always wash your gear properly and service them regularly with good lubricants, whether its saltwater safe or not. I have a Daiwa Liberto Pixy which has a full magnesium body with no special paint treatment, stainless steel bearings (except for upgraded ceramic spool bearings) and I use it in saltwater all the time. A good wash after exposure to saltwater and regular servicing keeps it running well, no signs of corrosion anywhere.

Last edited by DaiwaFreak; 28-07-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 28-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Blue Lip

my exist is sw safe but contains magnesium on one of the parts, if ya look after ya gear give it a clean in fresh water after use and service every 12 months it will be all good
Old 29-07-2012, 06:03 PM
SLAZMO

CRC Silicone Spray '808' sprayed onto the magnesium will keep it under control.

Or just spraying this silicone spray onto any metal fishing reel will keep it from corroding away on you! I usually prep my reels internally with a mist of this spray on the internal surfaces prior to rebuilding as it sticks and is corrosion resistant. Its also a good quality polish and keeps your reels shining nicely!!

I've not noticed any detrimental effects on line or fish, even when sprayed on swivels, sinkers or bait hooks when stink baiting.

Have even sprayed my singles on lures with no ill effects.

With bearings use Inox 'Lanox / PTFE' oils when servicing will help a whole lot!

You shouldnt have any issues with saltwater corrosion if your careful and dont dunk your gear underwater and rinse it when you get home. You could also invest in a product called SaltEx - and mist it down with a spray bottle.