View Single Post
Old 09-03-2018, 07:03 PM
Big Bream

Gday paul,

I’ll answer a few of your other questions about geese set up, although others may have different thoughts. 12lb braid might be a bit more than you need. It depends on a manufacturer a bit as braid advertised as 12lb might actually break closer to 20 (hello Fins). I’d say 6-8lb will be fine.

A leader is a thin bit of (usually) fluorocarbon line you tie to the end of the braid. It’s clear and tends to be more supple so it helps a lot with finesse fishing as you’re less likely to scare the fish. You would typically have about 5 or so feet of it. You tie your lure to the end of it. I usually have it a lower breaking strain than the main line, but this varies from person to person and site to site. For example, you might want higher breaking strain if casting around rocks or oyster racks or anything else that’s a bit abrasive on the line.

Your idea Re the direction to cast is fine, although larger fish often sit their facing the current so your lure might be coming up behind them, so I’d mix it up. I don’t think it’s a matter of one way not working. id try your way and the other way and see what works. Doing it your way will prob be easier to control the lure though depending on how fast the current is.