View Single Post
Old 21-01-2021, 11:56 PM
Fingerling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxrally View Post
Hey Sean,

Welcome aboard, and what better place to start lure fishing for bream than the mighty Nong.

I love the place mate, and try to fish there most weeks.

I know Hazy, Emo, Spiro and quit few more who were fishing it long before me and learnt a lot from these lads and these forums, so plenty of information on here for you to get your head around.

There are a couple of things to note.

For the past couple of months the Nong and Edgewater have been fishing tough and the fish do seem very spooky, but keep persisting, with all of the extra rain we have had and fresh water running down the system it has stayed dirtier for longer than usual and this has a few effects on it when it comes to bream.

They are normally on edges by now but with the fresh there is plenty of weed about so throwing hard bodies makes it a bit tough as you get snagged up all the time, but over the next month this will be the go to.

Keep using your plastics and stay as light as you can, 1/16th to 1/28th the go, i recently started giving the Monster mikes a go on edges and have had some success, but to begin with keep it simple till you get some confidence in what you're throwing.

If you are walking edges buy yourself a tacklback, it will save you heaps in the long run helping you get back your snagged lures. also target the structure like the pontoons and the brides where you can. As the summer months come on you will be able to sight cast the shallow edge fish on a high tide to

My favourite lures for both the Nong andgewater are in no particular order.
Zipabit Khamsin tiny in 509UV and 538
Cranka Crab 50mm in light Olive
40mm Stick Minnow most natural colours work
Double Clutch 60mm

If you have some confidence in the plastics then throw them, they are also cheaper to replace when you loose them and you will especially to big fish, then Nong has plenty of them.

I hope this helps and feel free to hit me up with any questions you night have. good luck and happy fishing.
DB
Hi Dale,
thanks for replying, i've just started getting some success on the nong.
I downsized to a zman 2" grub in pumpkin from the 2.5" motoroil and find the fish spook much less when i bring it in.
I caught 4 small fish, after about 9 hits a few evenings ago and thought I was getting it until today, when the bream put me back in my place.

They kept nipping at the tail without taking it properly. The little fish crowd the sp and the bigger fish hang back. I'm not sure why, but the bigger fish spook on the jig, even if it subtle.
I had one moment where a bigger fish showed interest so I let it fall and sit on a rock and watched it swim over and pick it up. I hooked it and started playing it for a while but it took off and snapped my 5lb tippet. cursing.

I'm not sure what to change when they are nipping on the tail and not committing.