View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 05:36 AM
SLAZMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
The roller bearing wasnt physically damaged. Its is a 7 year old Sol roller bearing thats prob got grit and all manner of junk and rust in it. Long story short, even after a ultrasonic shellite bath overnight and experimenting separtely with inox mx3 mx5 mx6 mx7 mx8 (which didnt get rid of the bearing grind), i tried some castrol gtx I had lying around. Well the castrol fixed up the noise 100°% whereas all other oils and grease didn't. This is a one off thing but in the future if any roller bearing issues can't be fixed up by inox products then I would probably resort to using castrol gtx grease again
Sounds damaged to me, needs to be opened and not just soaked. If there is crud in there, you will have to get that out before you put anything in there. Oil of any sort is pretty good for bearings, greases or grease oil hybrids (low NLGI) are better however slow bearings down.

I still cant find Castrol GTX grease? What's the description on the tub?

Just because she's not howelling doesnt mean its somewhere near fixed, its just been masked over, the grease has quietened it down as such.

Question is - has the roller bearing stopped moving and is it spinning inside the roller housing? Only way to tell is to open it up, and run line over the roller and watch the bearing spin, which isnt easy for such a small bearing.

Nothing is as what it seems in servicing reels - break out a magnifying glass if need be.