Bream Master Forums

Bream Master Forums (http://www.breammaster.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bream Anglers Tavern (http://www.breammaster.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Anyone like white lures? (http://www.breammaster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68283)

yellow door 1 03-07-2018 05:49 AM

Anyone like white lures?

I remember reading an article by a Fly fisherman and he said all you need for saltwater fishing are white clousers in various sizes.

So I've recently bought 280 white plastics and been testing the theory - mainly chasing pinkies and Reddies and its doesnt seem to hurt catch rates - but I dont spose they arent the ultimate in choosy predators

manno 03-07-2018 05:54 AM

Neither are aussie salmon but the best surf slug i ever had was a white one.

yellow door 1 03-07-2018 06:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by manno (Post 691710)
Neither are aussie salmon but the best surf slug i ever had was a white one.

Yeah even when they're in a frenzy, I've seen salmon show a preference - 10 anglers on a pier, all casting soft plastics into a washing machine - white lures were the winners that day aswell

nereus 03-07-2018 06:30 AM

don't mind white s/p on jew and flatties
cheers nereus

T Curve 03-07-2018 07:10 AM

White squid jigs are my first selection every time!

Ratbags 03-07-2018 09:00 AM

White singe & dbl tail sp’s are the fall back guys. The old mr twister is very reliable to get a feed to take home

BloodWorm 03-07-2018 05:45 PM

Found white SP are one lure you can catch a mullet on with a degree of consistency.

Had some success on the Squidgy Drop bear for flathead.

yellow door 1 03-07-2018 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nereus (Post 691712)
don't mind white s/p on jew and flatties
cheers nereus

Yeah I figure alot of bait fish are silver/white in colour so its not a bad choice

yellow door 1 03-07-2018 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodWorm (Post 691719)
Found white SP are one lure you can catch a mullet on with a degree of consistency.

Had some success on the Squidgy Drop bear for flathead.

What sort of mullet are you chasing and what lure do you use?

I mucked around with 6 inch sandworms with stingers in the tail for little yellow eye mullet - a brisk constant jittery retrieve through a school often got attention. But bait was more effective and I was collecting livies so constantly putting the stinger back in the tail gets old quick

yellow door 1 03-07-2018 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T Curve (Post 691714)
White squid jigs are my first selection every time!

Yeah I had a little calamari mauling my white plastic the other day - it definitely doesnt put them off

BloodWorm 03-07-2018 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellow door 1 (Post 691723)
What sort of mullet are you chasing and what lure do you use?

I mucked around with 6 inch sandworms with stingers in the tail for little yellow eye mullet - a brisk constant jittery retrieve through a school often got attention. But bait was more effective and I was collecting livies so constantly putting the stinger back in the tail gets old quick

Poddy Mullet are the ones we have targeted mainly in Lake Tyers. Definately not easy to catch but when your 15 year old son decides he is going to try and catch one you let him have some fun. He ws using a slim 3.5" paddle tail.

yellow door 1 03-07-2018 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratbags (Post 691715)
White singe & dbl tail sp’s are the fall back guys. The old mr twister is very reliable to get a feed to take home

I fish a fair bit of clear water close to dusk, so my recent interest in White plastics came from an above average pinky session on white single tailed grubs. I was using brown and pink lures but I wanted something that stood out a bit more in clear water as the sun set.

There can be alot of water between schools when land based, so I wanted to make sure my lure wasnt sneaking past the fish.

yellow door 1 03-07-2018 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodWorm (Post 691726)
Poddy Mullet are the ones we have targeted mainly in Lake Tyers. Definately not easy to catch but when your 15 year old son decides he is going to try and catch one you let him have some fun. He ws using a slim 3.5" paddle tail.

Thanks for that - Yeah I've found the little fellas to be aggressive and enthusiastic lure hitters at times - its just their mouths are too small to grab the hooks

mr perch 04-07-2018 06:40 AM

About half of my 70 odd surface EP lures are white, my go to Mulloway plastic is also white.

Alex 04-07-2018 11:00 PM

love throwing a suspending white Smith Jade into a black bream :cool: