Bream Master Forums

Bream Master Forums (http://www.breammaster.com/forum/index.php)
-   Motors (http://www.breammaster.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   old evinrude (http://www.breammaster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61702)

DazzaB 11-10-2014 06:27 PM

old evinrude

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all
Just wondering if there are any mechanically minded guys out there who may have an idea about my 1975 25hp evinrude. I have no idea really about them and not really in a position to take it in to the mechanics to get it looked at so I thought i'd ask on here. After fixing my trailer issues a few weeks ago I took the boat out and while driving it made a bang. It didn't sound explosive like fuel or anything, more a hitting or snapping noise, but not like I hit something in the water. It ran fine for the rest of the session on the water. 2 days later I took it out and it wouldn't start at all. It revved very shortly after about 4 pulls, then nothing again. Spark, compression and fuel seem to be ok. I tried it again at home and it did the same thing, a quick rev after about 4 pulls then nothing. Yesterday I thought I'd have another look at it but couldn't get it going. I found a bolt that was very loose at the back that holds the yellow plastic part that has an arm that goes towards the fly wheel area. I've posted a pic of it below. I tightened this with my fingers, made sure a spring under it was in the right spot and gave the cord a pull and the motor started to fire. It stalled a few times but once I had tightened the bolt properly I got the motor going. So I was a bit relieved, I ran it for a while, ran the fuel out of it and left it for an hour or so then tried it again. This time I couldn't get it going again and it still wont go!
Does anyone know what this part I tightened does and if it would actually cause the motor to go or not? I was at the point of just leaving it for a while till I could get some money to buy a new motor but getting it going yesterday makes me think I might be able to get a bit longer out of it. Any ideas?
And sorry if the pics seem sideways, I got no idea why this happens.
Cheers
Daz

CK 11-10-2014 09:12 PM

By no means am I saying that its the cause of your problem, but I had a similar problem with an older evinrude an eon or two back and it turned out to be a broken reed valve.
If there is no one suitably knowledgeable here abouts, I would look for assistance on the pages of Ausfish. Lots of advice there. Some of it will be from those qualified to give it and some wont. A bit of investigation will soon reveal which is which.
Good luck with it. Hope its an easy fix for you.

bender 11-10-2014 10:54 PM

This is one of the most amazing sites for advise and info i have ever seen. The pics of the old boats and outboards are brilliant.

Join up and ask questions and you get real good answers .

http://board.net.au/yabbse/index.php

DazzaB 12-10-2014 05:07 AM

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll check these places out and see what I can find.
Cheers.

Pete from the East 12-10-2014 05:12 AM

Hi DazzaB on the side of the motor there is a small box this is the fuel filter and pump. It has one large screw on it unscrew it and take it apart the filter is a high tech bit of equipment, ok its not its just some stainless mesh clean it the have a look at the diaphragm make it doesn't have any holes in it clean all parts and reassemble. Hopefully that will fix your problem.

Pete from the East

DazzaB 12-10-2014 06:01 PM

Cheers Pete. I had a quick go at that the other day but couldn't get the screw off (in the minute it tried anyway). Will have a go at it next chance I get. Thanks!

DazzaB 17-10-2014 08:29 PM

Had another go at getting the screw off. It will turn in both directions no problem but won't loosen or tighten. Any other ideas?

Pete from the East 18-10-2014 05:05 AM

Hmm sounds like the thread is stripped, put a little pressure on it while trying to undo it may just start to come away from the side of the motor. Once it does then you have to see why the screw was turning.

Pete

DazzaB 18-10-2014 09:09 PM

Nope, still can't get it off. Was thinking of taking the pump off but thought I'd try to start it and see what happens. 2nd pull it fired for about a second. Took the choke off and about 4 pulls later it started. I'm stumped! Guaranteed if I take it out for a fish it won't go.
Daz

nannat 18-10-2014 09:33 PM

I replaced the while pump on the side of mine for about $10.ebay

Pete from the East 19-10-2014 04:24 AM

Well I guess you could go out and buy a bottle of wins spitfire and try running that through in your fuel might clean up some gunk or bite the bullet and remove the pump if that screw is shot then the whole thing might need fixing.

Pete

DazzaB 19-10-2014 05:08 AM

Thanks Pete
Started the motor a few more times today and it went first pull. I spose the test now is to make sure it is cold and try to start it each day and see how it goes. Might try the spitfire too. If it does struggle I'll take the pump off and have a look.