Bream Master Forums

Bream Master Forums (http://www.breammaster.com/forum/index.php)
-   Bream Anglers Tavern (http://www.breammaster.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   For the Swim bait fans (http://www.breammaster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68407)

yellow door 1 11-10-2018 02:28 AM

For the Swim bait fans

stella fella 11-10-2018 06:01 PM

Ive learned a lot from this dude :)

yellow door 1 11-10-2018 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stella fella (Post 692935)
Ive learned a lot from this dude :)

Yeah I was surprised by the way he adds the wire rings the split rings clip on to - just drilll a hole into the lure - twist up some wire and jam it in there with loctite gel super glue. He reckons the bond is so tight a man cant pull it out with pliers.

nagz 11-10-2018 07:05 PM

I watched this a couple days ago!!!

Epic build

Man those romans are pricey! I’d be taking a snorkel if I ever fished em

He’s a well set up lure maker by the looks of things

His lead dripper was impressive to get the correct weight distribution

Would love this kind of setup at home. Just need a man cave big enough to allow everything to coexist

yellow door 1 11-10-2018 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagz (Post 692937)
I watched this a couple days ago!!!

Epic build

Man those romans are pricey! I’d be taking a snorkel if I ever fished em

He’s a well set up lure maker by the looks of things

His lead dripper was impressive to get the correct weight distribution

Would love this kind of setup at home. Just need a man cave big enough to allow everything to coexist

Yeah watching the amount of work, skill and attention to detail that goes into hand carving one of those beasts, has given me a new appreciation for how Anglers justify paying that sort of cash for a lure.

stella fella 12-10-2018 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellow door 1 (Post 692936)
Yeah I was surprised by the way he adds the wire rings the split rings clip on to - just drilll a hole into the lure - twist up some wire and jam it in there with loctite gel super glue. He reckons the bond is so tight a man cant pull it out with pliers.

Yeah, it'd be pretty damn hard to pull them out. Superglue makes for a damn strong bond, I use it rather than epoxy when joining my lure halves.

manno 12-10-2018 05:52 AM

Is that Nordy?

yellow door 1 12-10-2018 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stella fella (Post 692945)
Yeah, it'd be pretty damn hard to pull them out. Superglue makes for a damn strong bond, I use it rather than epoxy when joining my lure halves.

Yeah I spose there is nothing like experience to teach you whats strong and whats not.

yellow door 1 12-10-2018 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manno (Post 692946)
Is that Nordy?

I believe there would be a slightly different origin story for the lure if that was the case;)

nagz 12-10-2018 07:03 PM

Snap lol

stella fella 12-10-2018 09:02 PM

Yeah, screw the Roman made. I'd throw my hard earned clams at this bloke's work any day.

Mark M 12-10-2018 10:19 PM

Wow

Quote:

Originally Posted by stella fella (Post 692959)
Yeah, screw the Roman made. I'd throw my hard earned clams at this bloke's work any day......

Hand carving 10,000 scales into relief with a box cutter :eek:

These guys use poplar and birch, what do you use Stella that has similar carving qualities so the grain/fibres don't run away from the blade?

stella fella 12-10-2018 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark M (Post 692960)
Hand carving 10,000 scales into relief with a box cutter :eek:

These guys use poplar and birch, what do you use Stella that has similar carving qualities so the grain/fibres don't run away from the blade?

I use paulownia. It's almost the grain is honestly terrible, but it's barely above the density of balsa so it's pretty easy to carve. The hardest part is not chunking out on the fine details, so i tend to paint a thin coat of penetrating wood hardener over the areas I'm carving to give it more structural stability.

Mark M 12-10-2018 10:53 PM

thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by stella fella (Post 692961)
I use paulownia. It's almost the grain is honestly terrible, but it's barely above the density of balsa so it's pretty easy to carve. The hardest part is not chunking out on the fine details, so i tend to paint a thin coat of penetrating wood hardener over the areas I'm carving to give it more structural stability.

So, when can we expect a vid of your fabrications :)

manno 12-10-2018 10:58 PM

I remember seeing an old vid of a bloke/brand called Ginei. Some amazing thumb control.